Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool finish 5th or 4th and win the CL?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Batesy wrote: »
    Anyone that thinks Liverpool have even a chance of winning the Champions League this season is a Nutcase! (I'm a Pool fan by the way, we're just not good enough this year)

Oh yeah, Champions League, my mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Batesy wrote: »
    Anyone that thinks Liverpool have even a chance of winning the Champions League this season is a Nutcase! (I'm a Pool fan by the way, we're just not good enough this year)

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

i think even rival fans admit that we have as good, if not a better chance than most, in the CL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Mr Alan wrote: »
    History? 2005? 2006?

Liverpool have a lot to be proud of in the very recent past.

Yeah I know, but I'm just twisted and bitter. I supported Liverpool in 2005 and was delighted they won it. When they got there last season I didn't support them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Football is a game, you're aware of that?

I am yes, why do you ask?

as ye are absolute gash all season , i mean for a so called big club!

I agree that we have no divine right to be in the top 4.

But even playing gash, if we win our game in hand (westham at home) we are in the top 4.

wat does that say about Everton/City/Villa?

"so called" big club? Liverpool are a big club. If you are in doubt about that, you need your head examined mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

deise59 wrote: »
    Pointless and stupid question tbh. I can't believe some Liverpool "fans" would choose to make a piss-poor league compaign even worse just so they could rub it into the faces of the Evertonians.

Finish 5th and you don't deserve to be in the Champions League, regardless of if you win it the year before. And being honest any supporters who would want their team to do worse then they already are in the league don't deserve to be supporting a team in the CL

You see, that's rubbbish. Of course the winners of a cup competition should have the right to defend their trophy. And, like it or not, the "champions" league is just an epic cup competition - nothing else.

If somebody offered me 8th in the league and a win in the CL I'd snap their arm off. Scratch that, you can tell me we will finish 17th; not win a league game for the rest of the year; but still win the CL - I'd snap your arm off on that deal too!!

League, smeauge. Winning stuff is all that matters. You see, Utd fans probably have hazy memories of 99. But 2005 is still very prevalant in my thoughts; and last year is downright immediate to me.

The CL final in 2005 is up there with the Robbie Keane goal in 2002 or McAteer vs Holland in Sep 2001 in terms of the most enjoyment I have ever received from watching a football match. I was on a high for days after it. Finishing third now or closing the points difference isn't going to create the same kind of buzz now is it? :rolleyes:

Similiarly, the defeat against AC last year ranks down there with Brussels in 97 as the most devastated I've been after a game of football.

That's why we love sport, the big occassion. And I'm not going to apologise for that. For the rest of the Liverpool's season, the CL and FA Cup is the priority. **** the league. I don't care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Yeah I know, but I'm just twisted and bitter. I supported Liverpool in 2005 and was delighted they won it. When they got there last season I didn't support them.

:confused: typical LFC Fan.

:confused: typical LFC Fan.

??? I supported them on the night in Istanbul, nothing else. I'm a Shelbourne/Southampton fan.

Same way I supported Everton in the 1995 Cup Final and last night against Brann.

• Advertisement

Lfc fans seem to think they have a divine right to be in the top of the league and the cl automatically, which is bollocks, I can recall your last 4 wins off the drop of my hat so tbh ye need to get your head out of the gutter as ye are absolute gash all season , i mean for a so called big club.!
    EFC on the other hand never claim to be challenging for a league every season or even about finishing in the top of the table, because we know we have not got the strength to challenge that far.

Villa and City are having great seasons so it looks like this so called top 4 monopoly is going all pete thong.......

how bad:rolleyes:

We don't have a divine right, no. But we expect to be there because Liverpool are bigger than Everton, Villa, City etc and should be finishing above that lot. But of course it has to be earned by getting more points.

??? I supported them on the night in Istanbul, nothing else. I'm a Shelbourne/Southampton fan.

Same way I supported Everton in the 1995 Cup Final and last night against Brann.

How did it come about that you started supprting Southampton?

monkey9 wrote: »
    But of course it has to be earned by getting more points.

Which we are on course to doing despite being "gash all season" :rolleyes:

How did it come about that you started supprting Southampton?

If I had a euro for every time I'd been asked that. If an Irish Liverpool fan tells someone they've just met that they support Liverpool do they get asked the same question? :o

The only answer I ever give is Matt Le Tissier, though it might have had something to do with the fact that my mini-league team in 1992/3 was called Southampton.

A Southampton fan? *Boggle. Though I'm going to see Southampton play Charlton in April (longstory).

If I had a euro for every time I'd been asked that. If an Irish Liverpool fan tells someone they've just met that they support Liverpool do they get asked the same question? :o

The only answer I ever give is Matt Le Tissier, though it might have had something to do with the fact that my mini-league team in 1992/3 was called Southampton.

Eh no, cos lots of people support Liverpool, Mau U etc. So when someone follows a club like Southampton, it's a rare thing on this island so therefore it becomes more interesting.

People who support smaller clubs always go on the defensive when asked that question. It was only a simple enquiry

• Advertisement

support smaller clubs

careful saying stuff like that!! there is everton fans readin this thread and they dont like that kinda thing!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

granted, league finishing place would be a disappointment though. (although i'm kinda of the opinion, that first is first, 2nd is nothing when it comes to the league)

so if next year liverpool come second in the league, you'll dismiss it as nothing?

event wrote: »
    so if next year liverpool come second in the league, you'll dismiss it as nothing?

No i'd call it us getting better and be happy if we challenged.

But if i had a choice between winning the CL and challenging in the league, i'd pick winning the CL everytime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Liverpool 4th in Prem, lose to Inter

But if i had a choice between winning the CL and challenging in the league, i'd pick winning the CL everytime.

• Advertisement

Trilla wrote: »
    Liverpool 4th in Prem, lose to Inter

Highly likely

4th in the league, and also beating Inter.

highly likely also

People who support smaller clubs always go on the defensive when asked that question. It was only a simple enquiry

I wasn't having a go, just find it weird that its okay and "normal" to support a top-four side but its curious to support anyone else. Anyway, I'm well used to it.
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    A Southampton fan? *Boggle. Though I'm going to see Southampton play Charlton in April (longstory).

Cool, I'd offer travel tips but its an away game I think...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

seriously?

jaysus, i would have thought yiz would want a serious league challenge more than anything.

thats not being smart, i genuinely thought pool fans would prefer a league challenge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Mr Alan is of course wrong! :)

Getting past Inter may have got a small bit easier with Ronaldos injury.

MIke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Sorry, who wouldn't pick winning the CL over challenging in the league?
    That'd be nuts. Winning is always the best thing.
    That said, if you asked me would I prefer challenging in the CL or challenging in the league, I'd always pick the latter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

mike65 wrote: »

What? Ronaldo played for A.C.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

MIke.

eh, why ? Ronaldo plays for AC.

Its okay I just realised my stupidity! :o Sounds bad again for him btw.

Mike.

event wrote: »
    seriously?

jaysus, i would have thought yiz would want a serious league challenge more than anything.

thats not being smart, i genuinely thought pool fans would prefer a league challenge

A league challenge would be great, but i would take winning a CL head and shoulders above it. The league challenge would be pointing out that we were going in the right direction, but the confidence gained from a CL win would be similar in my opinion.

For example if we were to win the CL this year and finish 4th in the league, and we strenghtened in the summer, it would not be inconcievable for us to win the league next year*.

*i am not saying i think we will win the league before everyone gets up on their high horse.

• Advertisement

about wat?
    PHB wrote: »
    That said, if you asked me would I prefer challenging in the CL or challenging in the league, I'd always pick the latter.

agreed.

about

However you have since clarrified what you meant so you're not so wrong :)

Any team in any league exists to do as well as possible in that league, anything else is a luxury on top.

Mike.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

i think even rival fans admit that we have as good, if not a better chance than most, in the CL

Explain to us how you think liverpool have a better chance than most of winning this years CL. Any team left in the Competition have a chance of winning it. Some may have more of a chance than other, but surely that can only be accessed on how a particular team is playing at the moment. Real Madrid look good at the moment as do Arsenal. Utd have have a few blips lately, Inter Milan are top of Serie A and are also flying and have not been beaten in the league this season either home or away. What form of note do liverpool have to bring into the next round of the CL.

Thats the clever bit - Inter will be so confident Liverpool will spring a 2-0 on them at Anfield and take a 0-0 1-0 at the San Siro :)

Mike.

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Explain to us how you think liverpool have a better chance than most of winning this years CL.

Because, imo, Rafa Benitez is the best Cup manager in the world.

In the last 3 years, despite not always being in great form in the league, we have beaten the best teams in Europe consistantly in the CL over two legs. There is no better tactical manager over 2 legs in world football than Rafa Benitez. Even his critics usually readily admit this.

And this year we have the addition of one of the worlds top attacking players in Torres.

2 finals in the last 3 years prove me right.

league form means nothing in the CL.

I'm not saying we will beat inter. but we have a good chance of doing so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Very mature thread from the OP it seems :rolleyes:

As an Everton fan, I love to see these threads pop up. Just confirms the bitterness of Liverpool fans towards Everton doing well :p

I predict that Liverpool will neither win the CL or finish in 4th. Where is that option in the poll?

Very mature thread from the OP it seems :rolleyes:

maturity is my middle name.
    Just confirms the bitterness of Liverpool fans towards Everton doing well

please tell me this is a joke? ^

Everton are about the bitterest club in world football. Moyes still going on about the small club jibe? or Clattenburg? or It being our fault ye didnt get past VillaReal? Or how ye would have dominated Europe for years if it wasnt for Heysel? An Everton fan calling Liverpool bitter is like Hitler giving someone stick about being slightly racist.
    I predict that Liverpool will neither win the CL or finish in 4th. Where is that option in the poll?

Sorry i'll include it next time.

Mr Alan wrote:
    Everton are about the bitterest club in world football.

Yeah... that coming from a Liverpool fan doesn't hold much weight with me to be honest ;)
    Mr Alan wrote:
    Moyes still going on about the small club jibe?

No he's not. He talked about it at the time. Of course he is going to defend his club. It was a stupid comment from Rafa Beneathus...
    Mr Alan wrote:
    or Clattenburg?

So you are saying that what Moyes said was incorrect about Clattenburg? Everything he said was bang on the money. If he wasn't correct, then why have the FA dropped all the charges against him regarding his comments??? Because perhaps he was right?
    Mr Alan wrote:
    or It being our fault ye didnt get past VillaReal?

I don't remember that one to be honest.... We had a perfectly good goal ruled out by Colligna, which would have sent us through. Don't see how that is related to Liverpool.
    Mr Alan wrote:
    Or how ye would have dominated Europe for years if it wasnt for Heysel?

Its a fair point. We had an excellent team at the time, but I think a lot of people have gotten over that now :rolleyes:
    Mr Alan wrote:
    An Everton fan calling Liverpool bitter is like Hitler giving someone stick about being slightly racist.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

YEAH! eat that! Liverpool ARE great!

this is a stupid thread. its also extremely pointless as u are essentially debating over 1 place in the league.

FACT IS - if we dont come 4th in the league our season in the PL will be considered a failure. if this happens and we also BY THE GRACE OF GOD win the CL again ill be happy of course... but i will not be happy with our league performances and the fact that we havent bothered to turn up when playing against the top 3 in the league. over 2 legs against the top 3 in the PL rafa's record is crap.

and yes, BY THE GRACE OF GOD - Inter Milan are a really really really good team who are unbeaten in seira A and have players like Ibra, Cambiasso, Cruz & Suazo. who the f**k says we are gonna beat them on our current form?
    What about all those other really good teams? Man Utd for example, they did happen to beat us 1-0 already at anfield and dont think that Daniel Agger would make a lick of difference to that.
    those barcelona guys are pretty decent too
    and real madrid, they have won it a couple of times havent they?
    Arsenal, AC Milan, Chelski, Sevilla....

ffs Mr Alan, screw ur bloody head on and stop living in imagination land and maybe ppl wouldnt rip the pi$$ outta ya so much

• Advertisement

Yeah... that coming from a Liverpool fan doesn't hold much weight with me to be honest ;)

Seriously, do you really think Liverpool as a club are bitter towards Everton?
    Of course he is going to defend his club. It was a stupid comment from Rafa Beneathus...

The comment was spot on, from wat i remember, he said "when smaller teams come to Anfield, they play with a lot of men behind the ball"

Where is the problem? Everton is undeniably a smaller club than Liverpool.
    So you are saying that what Moyes said was incorrect about Clattenburg? Everything he said was bang on the money. If he wasn't correct, then why have the FA dropped all the charges against him regarding his comments??? Because perhaps he was right?

Everything he said wasnt bang on the money.
    He gave out about Hibbert being sent off and said that Gerrard made that decision not the ref. Not true. Sending Hibbert off was the correct decision and one that if Clattenburg didnt make, he would have been in trouble for with the refs assoc. i have no doubt.
    Everton should have maybe had a penalty, fair enough, these things happen though.

Did Moyes run on the pitch last night when one of your goals was very clearly offside and object his to his team benefiting from an incorrect decision?

Jazzy wrote: »
    ffs Mr Alan, screw ur bloody head on and stop living in imagination land

wtf are you talking about?
    wats imagination land? thinking we can beat inter? we can!

we have proven that by beating Juve who were in a similar position to Inter when we played them in 2005. Chelsea in 2005 when they looked near unbeatable most of the season. Barcalona last year when Merson laughed at the idea of us having any chance of us getting passed them?

so come on, wat the **** is imagination land in wat i have said?

YEAH! eat that! Liverpool ARE great!

this is a stupid thread. its also extremely pointless as u are essentially debating over 1 place in the league.

FACT IS - if we dont come 4th in the league our season in the PL will be considered a failure. if this happens and we also BY THE GRACE OF GOD win the CL again ill be happy of course... but i will not be happy with our league performances and the fact that we havent bothered to turn up when playing against the top 3 in the league. over 2 legs against the top 3 in the PL rafa's record is crap.

and yes, BY THE GRACE OF GOD - Inter Milan are a really really really good team who are unbeaten in seira A and have players like Ibra, Cambiasso, Cruz & Suazo. who the f**k says we are gonna beat them on our current form?
    What about all those other really good teams? Man Utd for example, they did happen to beat us 1-0 already at anfield and dont think that Daniel Agger would make a lick of difference to that.
    those barcelona guys are pretty decent too
    and real madrid, they have won it a couple of times havent they?
    Arsenal, AC Milan, Chelski, Sevilla....

ffs Mr Alan, screw ur bloody head on and stop living in imagination land and maybe ppl wouldnt rip the pi$$ outta ya so much

In fairness Jazzy, it would be typical of Liverpool to knock Inter out. Past form in the Champions League proves that and since Rafa took over, we've been the best Premiership team in the competition.
    Of course, Inter are favourites, but Liverpool still have a really good chance. Obviously, getting the win in the first league is crucial. Judging by our home form this year, i wouldn't bet on it. But big European nights is where Liverpool thrive lately

lol at thinking:

- we will definitely beat Inter;
    - we have no chance whatsoever against Inter;

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    lol at thinking:

- we will definitely beat Inter;
    - we have no chance whatsoever against Inter;

agreed

the fact that u make it out like its our god given right to beat these teams based on games from seasons past.
    Do u think Inter play like Juve of 05?
    Do Chelski play the same under Grant as they did with Jose last season and in 05?
    Are Barcelona the same as they were last season and does the fact that Henry is there now and Messi is coming of age not make a difference?
    Didnt AC Milan do us one in the final last year?

Wat have we done? oh, we have Torres. but THATS IT! unless G-Unit pulls us through or Torres turns on the magic (keep in mind Ferdinand had him in his pocket the entire Utd game). Also, our form is absolutely bollocks atm and we are leaking stupid goals. We also have no quality wingers. what did we do last season exactly? oh we reached the final, but in your own words - isnt 2nd place useless? or are u going to shift that around and say that 2nd isnt useless in a cup but it is in a league just because it happens to suit liverpools past 5 years better?

Just because we have done well in 07 and 05 in the CL DOES NOT MEAN that we will do well this season. yes, anything can happen... but to base how well u are going to do in a cup based on previous seasons is DEMENTED. remind me wat round we got to in 06 the year after we won it? oh yes, the 2nd round.

now do u see perhaps that u live in this imagination bubble where only the best things will happen? and maybe u might be able to see from then why u get so much stick on this board? and isnt that why ppl have already coined the term 'Alanisms'? its not happening for no reason....

• Advertisement

Mr Alan wrote:
    The comment was spot on, from wat i remember, he said "when smaller teams come to Anfield, they play with a lot of men behind the ball"

Where is the problem? Everton is undeniably a smaller club than Liverpool.

There is such a thing as tact and respect for your rivals and opposition. He clearly showed here that he has neither. He knew fine well what he was saying.

How do you define a big club? Money, trophies, amount of supporters? Everton is a big club, with a proud and successful past and tradition. Fair enough, Liverpool may have won a few more trophies than us when it comes to the league and europe, but does that make us 'small'? I don't think so....
    Mr Alan wrote:
    Everything he said wasnt bang on the money.
    He gave out about Hibbert being sent off and said that Gerrard made that decision not the ref. Not true. Sending Hibbert off was the correct decision and one that if Clattenburg didnt make, he would have been in trouble for with the refs assoc. i have no doubt.
    Everton should have maybe had a penalty, fair enough, these things happen though.
    I was behind the goal where the gerrard 'incident' happened and I watched it again on TV. Hibbert did make contact, but Gerrard did make a lot out of it. The way he went down got Hibbert sent off.

Everton without a doubt should have had 1 if not 2 penalties. Stonewall....

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/archive/moyes-fa-charge-dropped.html

Clattenburg that day was disgrace. His decisions were so imbalanced it was crazy... That's not just my point of view. A lot of neutrals thought the same.
    Mr Alan wrote:
    Did Moyes run on the pitch last night when one of your goals was very clearly offside and object his to his team benefiting from an incorrect decision?
    Mr Alan wrote:
    "these things happen though."
    ;)

He clearly showed here that he has neither.

I think most people agree that Benitez actually seems like a very decent bloke.
    does that make us 'small'? I don't think so....

Does that make you small?

no, but it does make you "smaller than Liverpool" which is wat Rafa said. So is wat Rafa said untrue? That Everton are smaller than Liverpool . . . . .

the fact that u make it out like its our god given right to beat these teams based on games from seasons past.
    Do u think Inter play like Juve of 05?
    Do Chelski play the same under Grant as they did with Jose last season and in 05?
    Are Barcelona the same as they were last season and does the fact that Henry is there now and Messi is coming of age not make a difference?
    Didnt AC Milan do us one in the final last year?

Wat have we done? oh, we have Torres. but THATS IT! unless G-Unit pulls us through or Torres turns on the magic (keep in mind Ferdinand had him in his pocket the entire Utd game). Also, our form is absolutely bollocks atm and we are leaking stupid goals. We also have no quality wingers. what did we do last season exactly? oh we reached the final, but in your own words - isnt 2nd place useless? or are u going to shift that around and say that 2nd isnt useless in a cup but it is in a league just because it happens to suit liverpools past 5 years better?

Just because we have done well in 07 and 05 in the CL DOES NOT MEAN that we will do well this season. yes, anything can happen... but to base how well u are going to do in a cup based on previous seasons is DEMENTED. remind me wat round we got to in 06 the year after we won it? oh yes, the 2nd round.

now do u see perhaps that u live in this imagination bubble where only the best things will happen? and maybe u might be able to see from then why u get so much stick on this board? and isnt that why ppl have already coined the term 'Alanisms'? its not happening for no reason....

I don't think that anyone is saying it's a God given right that Liverpool beat these teams. It's just that Liverpool have showed that they can beat them whatever their league form is.
    I mean, yeah, i think Inter will go through. But you seem to make out that Liverpool have no chance yet it's not beyond the realms of possibility that they can win.
    Rafa has shown that when it comes to European football, he can outwit most managers

I don't think that anyone is saying it's a God given right that Liverpool beat these teams. It's just that Liverpool have showed that they can beat them whatever their league form is.
    I mean, yeah, i think Inter will go through. But you seem to make out that Liverpool have no chance yet it's not beyond the realms of possibility that they can win.
    Rafa has shown that when it comes to European football, he can outwit most managers

yeah, that post was to Mr Alan.
    but I do agree with you, we certainly CAN beat them... but the point is Mr Alan made this COMPLETELY STUPID thread based on "which good thing do u want to happen to Liverpool which will be bad for Everton no matter what the case"
    if he replaced Everton with Man Utd there would be uproar but hes gotten away with it cos not that many ppl support everton on this forum.
    And from what I can see above he has decided to take dignity-less swipes at Everton by calling them a small club to an everton fan that they are smaller then Liverpool just to try and prove some monotonous point about some things that might possibly happen but probably wont (pool winning the CL this season).
    he'd be the first person to give out stink to a Utd fan for doing the same but has (as Pighead has already pointed out) showed complete double standards again.

Its a dumbass thread Mr Alan which u seem to have not put much thought into aside from living ur own dream.

I think most people agree that Benitez actually seems like a very decent bloke.

I used to think he was alright, but every so often he comes out with statements (particularly when he is under pressure) and he loses some respect to be honest..

Does that make you small?

no, but it does make you "smaller than Liverpool" which is wat Rafa said. So is wat Rafa said untrue? That Everton are smaller than Liverpool . . . . .

Its the context that he said it in though.... just at the derby match, when things weren't going his way.

I think Alan Stubbs summed it up well:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/preview?id=219495&cc=9999
    Everton veteran Alan Stubbs has already stoked the fires by saying recently: 'We do not see ourselves as a small club, not at all.

'If they feel they are that much bigger than us, they should have been getting better results - like winning the league.

'When you spend that much money, £40-50million, you would expect to be closer than they have been. That is what Liverpool fans would say if you asked them. We beat them 3-0 last season, and you do not get a result like that by luck.'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2007/02/05/sfnliv05.xml
    Rafael Benitez will not lose his job for failing to overcome Everton but his statement, made in the frustrating hour after the final whistle, that they were a "small club" who had come to Anfield in search of nothing more adventurous than a goalless draw rang dreadfully false.

It would have been something had the Everton manager, David Moyes, reworked Gloria Swanson's line from Sunset Boulevard. "Everton are still big, it was the results that got small." But his words were eloquent enough.

"No, Everton are not a small team," he reflected. "Everton are one of the big clubs in England. We are, at this present time, smaller than Liverpool but I'll tell you what we are; we are a competitive, determined football club and we are trying to achieve as much as we can.

"We matched a football club that has spent an awful lot of money. We also did if four months ago when we played them at Goodison." And won convincingly.

Everton came to Anfield with a plan, stuck to it, and might have snatched victory if Andy Johnson had converted their one outstanding chance, which he might have done had he been properly match-fit. Moyes greeted the save from Jose Reina by running his hands through his hair and mouthing an expletive. Had Johnson scored, Everton would have done the double over Liverpool for the first time since 1984-85, when they ended the season as champions.

If Liverpool go to Barcelona in the Champions League, adopt a similar game plan, and return to John Lennon Airport with a goalless draw, as they did on their two visits to the Nou Camp under Gerard Houllier, it will be a job very well done, which was a point Benitez conceded.

What Moyes said is true... Liverpool at this moment have had more success on the pitch. That's not to say that Everton are a smaller club.

We've shown for the past few years that we are on the way back up. They season that we finished 4th ahead of liverpool we had a decent side. Our team and squad this season is light years ahead of that squad from 2005 in terms of fitness and ability...

I just think that Liverpool fans need to sit up and recognise (and to be fair, I think most of them do), that 4th spot is no longer automatically their's anymore and from the replies in this thread its good to see that not all Liverpool fans wear red-tinted glasses...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement