Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

HELP----Failed NCT twice

Options
  • 13-02-2008 7:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi, I have a 97 Golf MK3 1.4 and failed the retest on emissions.
    With the first Nct I failed on a few items including emissions, also they tested the car cold as there was a delay that day of over half an hour. When I bought the car 9 months ago I had to do the Nct then and it got a full service so I hadn't serviced the car this time as I had only done low mileage. So for the retest as well as fixing the other fails, I had the car serviced new oil, filter and spark plugs, also used that additive for the petrol, on the retest one week later (today) the emissions were worse?

First Nct Exhaust Emissions oil temp 96
    Low Idle CO 0.00 vol% above 0.5% fail
    (700 rpm) HC 0ppm above 200ppm fail

High Idle Lambda 0.957 between 0.97 and 1.03 fail
    (2580 rpm) CO 2.52 VOL% above 0.3% fail
    HC 221 rpm above 200ppm fail

Retest Exhaust Emissions oil temp 98
    Low Idle CO 5.41 vol%
    (690 rpm) HC 0 ppm

High Idle Lambda 0.877
    (2730 rpm) CO 5.29 vol%
    HC 372 ppm

As you can see the emissions have gone crazy, the catalytic convertor and the lambda sensor have been changed in the last year, could there be something else wrong or can anyone think of anything that could help me pass the test.
    Regards, Bisto

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭ismynametoolong

To be honest !
    Those figures are quite far out there is little anybody here can advise you to do that wont involve bringing the car to somebody with a 4 gas analysor which checks the emissions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Exchaust or manifold maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

I'd receheck where you bought the cat and lamba , one of them could be faulty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 bisto

The cat and lambda were just replaced 6000 miles ago when i had to do the Nct just after I bought the car, therefore I am assuming they are not faultly as they passed the emission test then.
    Does anybody think that it could be one of the sensors e.g idle, air flow etc.
    I am looking for other possible faults with the emissions other than cat and lambda.

Thanks for your responses. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

Looks like its burning oil? HC's are up.

Anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

Looks like its burning oil? HC's are up.

Could be. Could be unburned fuel as well, anyway no point just guessing, you have to go to garage that has a proper 4 gas tester and an OBD tester. And stop spending money on them stupid fuel additives, waste of money!

The car has never consumed a milimeter of oil, so its definately not burning any. Unfortunately I have not found a reputable garage in my area and with past experiences I am always suspicious of what they tell me the problem is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I'd suspect oil being the culprit here too - the Golf 1.4 is particularly prone to premature wear, and is widely known in the trade as a bit of a smoker.......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Its 100% not the oil

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I suppose it's possible to not have too much oil consumption, but still have crappy emissions through worn valve seats etc..........

A proper compression test, and leakdown test would be a good place to start.

out of curiosity - is the fuel consumtion good/bad or gone up, in the interim?

And if CAT was replaced previously, and is now gone again...........something is causing them to fail, from the engine dept...........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

Good question about the fuel consumption, I was trying to recall if there was a change but I'm not sure but there could possibly be a slight increase. Unfortunately I don't know a reputable garage in the area that do emission tests.

Anybody else got any ideas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

find a garage on your route to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

Hi,

There is not enough info available from an NCT fail sheet to enable any kind of accurate diagnosis. There are also too many possible causes for the results you posted that it is not worth while guessing.
    Best advice I can give you is to find someone to look at it and diagnose what is at fault.

:)Thanks for the advice all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jeffd37

I know a lot of people now who have used Dipetane for a week or two and have then sailed through emmissions..

Advertisement