Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training a dog to bark?

Options
  • 13-02-2008 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭

Hey, my gf has a german shepard thats getting rather old and slow. Shes very friendinly and knows all the usual tricks.

For the last hour we've been playing with her and kinda trying to make her bark, but its kinda hard to get her to make noise unless theres a stranger at the door or sees a cat out the back.

We got a little grunt out of her from a youtube clip of a dog barking, but that wasnt anything special

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

red_ice wrote: »
    Hey, my gf has a german shepard thats getting rather old and slow. Shes very friendinly and knows all the usual tricks.

For the last hour we've been playing with her and kinda trying to make her bark, but its kinda hard to get her to make noise unless theres a stranger at the door or sees a cat out the back.

We got a little grunt out of her from a youtube clip of a dog barking, but that wasnt anything special

Any ideas?

Why would you want to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

red_ice wrote: »

Any ideas?
    you only upset the dog and make the dog agressive mate,they will naturally learn themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

davey180 wrote: »
    you only upset the dog and make the dog agressive mate,they will naturally learn themselves.
    Training a dog to bark on command does not make it more aggressive .Its only a command and can be a very useful command to have .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 DublinPetSchool

No pimping your business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Amimad

Try with holding a favourtie toy/food, if she makes any noise give it to her. After a few repeations wait for her to make more noise & then give it to her, eventually you will get a bark.

For one of my dogs I used food & for th aother I used a small remote control car, every time the dog barked the car moved, he loved it.

Good luck:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I had a dog that barked when the doorbell went off. So everytime the doorbell rang I would say "GUARD". Eventually when I said "GUARD" he barked, he loved it, tail wagging like ninety and barking his head off! Dead handy if your a bit suspect of someone, or see someone knocking around that you wouldn't want knocking around. A rub and a "thank you" stopped him and he felt his job was done.

So find something the dogs barks at, (get a friend to be a stranger at the door) Every time the dog barks give a command and some praise. Eventually (hopefully) the dog will bark on that command.

It shouldn't upset the dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I have a rottweiler who i have trained to "speak" as he doesnt bark that often, and i would like him to be able to bark on command if i needed him too, especially if i was in the house by myself. It doesnt make him aggressive and he sees it as another command like someone else said. I did it by rewarding him everytime i got him to bark and i also use a hand signal that he responds to without using my voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

andreac wrote: »
    I have a rottweiler who i have trained to "speak" as he doesnt bark that often, and i would like him to be able to bark on command if i needed him too, especially if i was in the house by myself. It doesnt make him aggressive and he sees it as another command like someone else said. I did it by rewarding him everytime i got him to bark and i also use a hand signal that he responds to without using my voice.
    I do the same with my Gsds .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭michelleans

My GSD also barks on command. It took him 2 hours to learn it. He is also quiet on command. It doesn;t make him aggressive in any way and he is very vocal anyway.

Have a whole load of treats on hand, then when your dog barks, say the command you'll use, I used "speak" and then give a treat. Repeat until the dog gets it, takes longer for some but you have a shep so she should get it fast :D Then the word is associated with the behaviour, saying the word should now trigger the behaviour. If you find it hard to get your dog to bark, try getting a friend to go outside and ring the doorbell for you to trigger a bark etc..

Advertisement