Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting in Garnerville soon? Read this:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭PandaPants

carlty888 wrote: »
    I'm very sensitive about my ears <sob> :(

:D

All the better for hearing you my dear.... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭carlty888

PandaPants wrote: »
    All the better for hearing you my dear.... ;)

Plug me into a tv..... free sky!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Griffer2

Pandapants,
    i got mine off of ebay got 2 for about £1.50 and was only a quid P&P

just FYI :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 coppertopper

Can anyone suggest where to get that Jewelers cloth for bulling boots? I've never heard of it!
    Do you know any1 in the army? If so they will be able to sort you out, otherwise try an army surplus store!!! Hope this helps!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭TSG 15

Can anyone suggest where to get that Jewelers cloth for bulling boots? I've never heard of it!

You will only need a yellow duster type cloth and a tin of kiwi or cherry blossom black polish............ Dont buy parade gloss, its too waxy, The drill staff will show you how to bull your boots using a little drop of water in the lid.;)

• Advertisement

Is it a stupid question to ask what the rationale behind bulling boots is? Is it something we have to keep up all the way through our service? Or is it to instill discipline?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭MrFug

Is it a stupid question to ask what the rationale behind bulling boots is? Is it something we have to keep up all the way through our service? Or is it to instill discipline?

duh! it's so when we're on the beat on a saturday night, we can look up young womens skirts in the reflection of our boots.

MrFug wrote: »
    duh! it's so when we're on the beat on a saturday night, we can look up young womens skirts in the reflection of our boots.

A mirror on a stick is SO much more effective.

Eeeerrrr.... so I've been told..... ;)

Its to show you that a little effort pays off...... you will see this when they eventually begin to shine for you. Its also a chance for the people who are good at it to help those who are not. I used to go home with at least 3 other peoples boots at the weekend and do them at home. Others helped me with my typing etc in return.... thats how Garnerville works. And No, You wont bull them again after training and its not expected;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MORRI

how would it go down in G'ville if you pulled out a lovely pair of shiny bulled boots on day 1 of training, just wondering cos i have a pair:D same type PSNI use they look lovely, if i dont get in i might sell 'em

• Advertisement

MORRI wrote: »
    how would it go down in G'ville if you pulled out a lovely pair of shiny bulled boots on day 1 of training, just wondering cos i have a pair:D same type PSNI use they look lovely, if i dont get in i might sell 'em

I was ex Full Time Reserve when I re entered Mr Ordes cleansing factory..there were 8 of us in my squad and we all brought in bulled boots, not a word said about it :cool:

TSG 15 wrote: »
    I was ex Full Time Reserve when I re entered Mr Ordes cleansing factory..there were 8 of us in my squad and we all brought in bulled boots, not a word said about it :cool:

HHmmmm.... interesting..... :D

HHmmmm.... interesting..... :D

Well , if you can get your hands on the same boots before you start it would make sense to get started on them..... dont wear them until your firsd morning on parade. Thats what a few of us did :D

Well , if you can get your hands on the same boots before you start it would make sense to get started on them..... dont wear them until your firsd morning on parade. Thats what a few of us did :D

I've already got them. It's not what you know.... ;)

I was just worried about bringing them with me, 1 - in case you weren't allowed to and 2 - in case they think I'm a bit of a know-it-all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭DownMTBer

Anyone who is currently in G'Ville... could you maybe give us an idea what exactly 'bulled' means.

By this I mean what is considered a high standard. I could certainly get hold of the same boots prior to going, but I wouldn't want to turn up with glass toe-caps if 'just shiney' will do.

A photo would be perfect! :D

DownMTBer wrote: »
    Anyone who is currently in G'Ville... could you maybe give us an idea what exactly 'bulled' means.

By this I mean what is considered a high standard. I could certainly get hold of the same boots prior to going, but I wouldn't want to turn up with glass toe-caps if 'just shiney' will do.

A photo would be perfect! :D

Like glass is a good description of the required standard.... just shiney will not do, as you will soon have explained into your ear., LOUDLY;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭1979SD

What type of boots do they issue? and is it just the toe caps that need bulling?

Like glass is a good description of the required standard.... just shiney will not do, as you will soon have explained into your ear., LOUDLY;)

Glass is grand i just didn't want to turn up with toe caps you can see your reflection in and everyone think i was a d1ck :P

Here that's a good question... i assume its polished boot with glass toe caps?

I'm quite sad in that I actually get satisfaction out of polishing boots that much :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭integra1

DownMTBer,

you offered a place then?

integra1 wrote: »
    DownMTBer,

you offered a place then?

No sadly still not... go figure... everything passed with merit just over 100 :confused:

LoL believe me tho; you'll know when i am! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭BadCopGingerCop

Folks,

I think I must have got lost somewhere on this whole bulling business.
    Firstly:
    Does bulling basically mean get it to a pristine shine?
    Secondly:
    Where do these boots come from and can we buy our own before hand?

It's probably on the thread somewhere, but havent spotted it.

Cheers,

BCGC

Folks,

I think I must have got lost somewhere on this whole bulling business.
    Firstly:
    Does bulling basically mean get it to a pristine shine?
    Secondly:
    Where do these boots come from and can we buy our own before hand?

It's probably on the thread somewhere, but havent spotted it.

Cheers,

BCGC

From what TSG is saying bulling sounds like it was when i was on parade at school. Imagine a brand new flawlessly shiny black car that you can see your reflection in and your something close to what they want. But it is completely unrealistic to expect the entire boot to either a) get like that in a reasonable time and b) stay like that.

So mostly you would expect a decent/good polish on the boot with the toe cap, if not a stitched toe cap like my parade boots were... which they're not, then the area up to the crease that forms from your toes, polished to the shiny new car standard. We always referred to this as glass toe caps but probably better described as a mirror.

Just do a google images search on parade boots and you'll get some idea. Although one of the first images is probably WAYYY over the top as its what I think the Marines/Horseguard etc are expected to do and I very much doubt PSNI require that much of the boot to be that shiney. Although obviously... i've no real idea cos i've never seen PSNI parade boots.

PS - read a post from just over a year ago that states PSNI issue 'Jolly Safety Footware Light weight boots' as standard. However the same person who confirmed that also said they had bought their own boots for while on patrol so we might even be able to use our own choice of boot. But I would rather someone on the inside confirm that before I spend a significant amount of money buying new boots and getting blisters breaking them in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MORRI

the boots are "Jolly" you will get 2 pair provided one for parade (bulled) one for patrol (normal polish). They do not have a stitched toe so only bull upto the edge of the toecap and the heel.
    If you look at a pair of boots/shoes (that dont have a gloss finish) you will see there are tiny dimples in the leather, bulling fills these in with polish and makes them shine.
    dont waste money buying a pair cos unless they are exactly the same you wont be allowed/insured to wear them

MORRI wrote: »
    the boots are "Jolly" you will get 2 pair provided one for parade (bulled) one for patrol (normal polish).

Not quite true Morri but not far off. They are Jolly, and jolly crap at that. Both pairs are issued for normal patrol but during your time in the fun factory you are expected to keep 1 pair for inspection and your passing out parade which means "spit and polish" . After Garnerville you just stop bulling them and wear them on duty. You are unlikely to be in dress uniform again after you pass out so you wont need them.

Apparently there's a lot of affairs go on in the Hotel! I've been hearing all kinds of horror stories about married recruits leaving their spouse for someone in their squad!! :eek::eek:

Apparently there's a lot of affairs go on in the Hotel! I've been hearing all kinds of horror stories about married recruits leaving their spouse for someone in their squad!! :eek::eek:

Now your just making stories up hoping to get lucky young lady!!!!

1979SD wrote: »
    Now your just making stories up hoping to get lucky young lady!!!!

Nah, I'm lucky enough... ;)

Just warning you lot though, don't all go falling in love with me. You have no chance. :D:D:D:D:D:D

Nah, I'm lucky enough... ;)

Just warning you lot though, don't all go falling in love with me. You have no chance. :D:D:D:D:D:D

It's gonna be hard up there, def's to learn, drill to master, keeping yourself out of panda's pants!!!:eek: Just another impossible task!

1979SD wrote: »
    It's gonna be hard up there, def's to learn, drill to master, keeping yourself out of panda's pants!!!:eek: Just another impossible task!

I'm starting on my defs now and it's AMAZING the amount of things I have just found I need to do immediately! :D:D

I've mastered number 2 though. (Which is the easiest..)

• Advertisement

I'm starting on my defs now and it's AMAZING the amount of things I have just found I need to do immediately! :D:D

I've mastered number 2 though. (Which is the easiest..)

apparently typing them out over and over is the best way to learn them, if you don't want to block the boards up though feel free to send them through to me, i'd be happy to proof read them for you!!!

Advertisement