Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Starting in Garnerville soon? Read this:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

Nothing wrong with a good one night stand between two consenting adults :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33 babawiggum

This job is all ive ever wanted to do..im just a bit apprehensive by the stories ive heard..Sorry if i have offended anyone, I didnt think there would be drinking as I was told the bar doesn't open

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

I'm hoping it does!! Was looking forward to serving and having a laugh behind the bar again lol!! Best nights craic working in bars

In all seriousness you shouldn't let others behaviour and actions negatively influence you and your decision if this is seriously what you've always wanted to do

I was meaning to disrespect anyone.I asked a serious question

I was only looking for some feedback from the current group.sorry everyone thinks its so funny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Dekkers

babawiggum wrote: »
    This job is all ive ever wanted to do..im just a bit apprehensive by the stories ive heard..Sorry if i have offended anyone, I didnt think there would be drinking as I was told the bar doesn't open

Stories are just that. You are entitled to your religious beliefs but don't forget that at least a quarter of your squad are active on these boards and you're already passing judgement on their character.

My advice is to not worry about it as you probably have nothing to worry about.

I am not passing judgement on anyones character, sorry if that is how it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 12 alex_murphy

Mop a top wrote: »
    Not necessarily. I have had two long term partners that I worked with before and after the relationships and it never effected our work or our relationship. I think it's down to the individuals tbh.

I think you would be the exception rather than the rule tbh. Your working relationship with the person might be unaffected, but think of the culture that you are in/the close nature of the work and the inevitable rumour-mill that would occur tarnishing or altering peoples perception of you long before they ever meet you.

Dekkers wrote: »
    Stories are just that. You are entitled to your religious beliefs but don't forget that at least a quarter of your squad are active on these boards and you're already passing judgement on their character.

My advice is to not worry about it as you probably have nothing to worry about.

Sorry if i seem judgmental.I am just apprehensive and wondering what to expect.I just wanted some feedback from people currently there

• Advertisement

I am not passing judgement on anyones character, sorry if that is how it seems

Sorry if I picked you up wrong. Was probably a bit harsh now I see it written down!

I'm just trying to say you should go to Garnerville with a positive mind set and assuming the best of your colleagues. If you come across behaviour you don't agree with you can cross that bridge then.

Sorry if I picked you up wrong. Was probably a bit harsh now I see it written down!

I'm just trying to say you should go to Garnerville with a positive mind set and assuming the best of your colleagues. If you come across behaviour you don't agree with you can cross that bridge then.

Thank you Dekkers..can I assume you are in current batch and if so how are you finding it

Thank you Dekkers..can I assume you are in current batch and if so how are you finding it

Nope, I'm not in sorry.

Hopefully someone who is can post and allay any concerns you have :)

Nope, I'm not in sorry.

Hopefully someone who is can post and allay any concerns you have :)

Sorry if I sound daft..this is just a massive step for me and I'm terrified

I think you would be better advised assuming that your colleagues in GV will be no different from those you would find anywhere else. They will have all the same capabilities, gifts, vices and failings as those found in the general public. Just because someone is vetted does not mean they are immediately worthy of trust, which in my opinion is earned rather than given, or that they are bastions of virtue because they are hoping for a career in policing. There are plenty of cases of impropriety on training colleges which reveal that a small proportion of recruits are capable of quite heinous acts (theft, assault, sexual assault).

The price of peace is eternal vigilance, and I'm certain you will find plenty of like minded individuals into whom you can place trust. I would be pretty confident that the staff at GV are mindful of the ramifications of such improprieties and the impact that would have, and deal with things accordingly.

I think you would be better advised assuming that your colleagues in GV will be no different from those you would find anywhere else. They will have all the same capabilities, gifts, vices and failings as those found in the general public. Just because someone is vetted does not mean they are immediately worthy of trust, which in my opinion is earned rather than given, or that they are bastions of virtue because they are hoping for a career in policing. There are plenty of cases of impropriety on training colleges which reveal that a small proportion of recruits are capable of quite heinous acts (theft, assault, sexual assault).

The price of peace is eternal vigilance, and I'm certain you will find plenty of like minded individuals into whom you can place trust. I would be pretty confident that the staff at GV are mindful of the ramifications of such improprieties and the impact that would have, and deal with things accordingly.

Think you've probably read a bit too much into what I said but good point with regards to the staff at Garnerville. I'm sure they are aware of their commitment to student police officers and the importance of a supportive environment.

• Advertisement

Thank you all..maybe i should just ignore the horror stories i have heard

• Registered Users Posts: 22 elspeth flash

What are the horror stories?

What are the horror stories?

I second that!

I dont know if I can post them here

I've heard that they were sacrificing goats and doing voodoo out in the carpark!

• Advertisement

Ive just heard of inappropriate behaviour and that it is expected that all should join in..just looking for someone currently there to give us some feedback and that all the group are punished as a result

Them orgies you were planning must have come to fruition, Dekkers!

That is a joke of course

Ive just heard of inappropriate behaviour and that it is expected that all should join in..just looking for someone currently there to give us some feedback and that all the group are punished as a result

Without sounding all mummy here if something your colleagues are doing makes you uneasy or you feel like you're being forced to participate in just don't do it. Report it. Easy for me to say but I was the one getting slagged at school cos I didn't give in to peer pressure and tbh this is sounding very much like school again lol!!!

I haven't a clue if you're male or female but if the inappropriate behaviour you've heard about is a sexual nature, harassment and discrimination works for both genders. I've heard stories from the last recruitment about it being a free for all and people in relationships using their time at GV to cheat on the other half. No one expects anything of you other than be professional, do your job and enjoy it. You've worked damn hard to get here and get an offer, don't let the stories put you off :)

Them orgies you were planning must have come to fruition, Dekkers!

That is a joke of course

Well im hearing about alcohol fuelled 'orgies'

Well the bar must be open!!! Yeah!!! I get to pour drinks again lol well hopefully ;)

FFS hahahahaha I wasn't expecting that !

I was jealous of the first batch before, but even more so now! hahahaha

Highly doubt that is true about the orgies (unfortunately)

Mop a top wrote: »
    Well the bar must be open!!! Yeah!!! I get to pour drinks again lol well hopefully ;)

From what i'm told the bar is closed but alcohol is being brought in from the outside

Sorry for my post.I just wanted someone to give me some feedback and let me know what to expect and how much free time there is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭student15

Sorry for my post.I just wanted someone to give me some feedback and let me know what to expect and how much free time there is

Hey just my two pence, I'll be in there with you and you will encounter stories like this for everything it's called hear say, probably stories that are exaggerated or made up as a rumour.
    We're going to have a great time and don't feel like you will have to do anything innapropriate because I'm sure we will already be out of our comfort limit with every being so new.
    I'm excited and you should be too don't worry it'll be grand!

Agree with student15.

And on his note, Why not post in the 2nd batch official thread and get talking to others in your squad? That way there'll be less to be anxious about when it comes to starting in GV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Choobs

The only group "punishments" you'll be getting are doing laps for people not keeping their parade uniform tidy or likewise with their room and all that usual hazing stuff. You will not be punished for refusing to participate in an orgy...

Yes there's cheating. The thing is I would say that happens in almost any workplace. If you've never encountered it before then you must have your head in the sand or be working in an extremely unusual place (or perhaps previously unemployed).

You've passed all the tests put to you to get this far, but you need to think if this is the line of work for you if you're so strongly offended by something so common. I'm not trying to be unreasonable, but make a decision and stick with it.

I personally don't drink at all but I'm a little bummed to hear the on site bar won't operate anymore. That kind of place can help others relax and unwind and you can make great friendships without having to drink yourself.

As a side note, you will get your ass kicked if you're found to have persons in your room who should not be there.

Choobs wrote: »
    The only group "punishments" you'll be getting are doing laps for people not keeping their parade uniform tidy or likewise with their room and all that usual hazing stuff. You will not be punished for refusing to participate in an orgy...

Yes there's cheating. The thing is I would say that happens in almost any workplace. If you've never encountered it before then you must have your head in the sand or be working in an extremely unusual place (or perhaps previously unemployed).

You've passed all the tests put to you to get this far, but you need to think if this is the line of work for you if you're so strongly offended by something so common. I'm not trying to be unreasonable, but make a decision and stick with it.

I personally don't drink at all but I'm a little bummed to hear the on site bar won't operate anymore. That kind of place can help others relax and unwind and you can make great friendships without having to drink yourself.

As a side note, you will get your ass kicked if you're found to have persons in your room who should not be there.

Hi choobs are you in current squad

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭.S.

I don't know if anyone currently in GV will get much time to check in here, particularly during the week.

I too, have heard there are plenty of relationships (casual or otherwise) that tend to happen in GV (haven't heard orgies, I very much doubt there's anything to that rumour). I've spoke to now serving officers and in their time in GV, yes people slept with others, esp if they were single / had no ties but I've heard of people cheating on partners whilst in there too.

Think you need to remember this is all hearsay though. People don't join the police to ride all around them. If they made it to GV they will have put in the work to get there. I'm a big fan of the saying "there can be disagreement without disrespect". Don't judge others on what they get up to in their own time, you don't know their story, their reasoning.

I don't know the rules in GV. But if you see something that clearly breaks the rules either confront the person or report it. If it doesn't break any rules, and you're still not comfortable, don't get involved. I think you're massively overthinking this, I honestly don't think it'll cause you a problem when you're in (no I'm not the current squad but if/when I get to hotel GV I know what I do in my own time is up to me. I imagine I'll be in the gym!). I think you need to remember above everything else these people are your colleagues. One day you might need them to have your back. I think (within reason) a persons beliefs are nobodies business but their own. Don't create problems where there isn't any. Live and let live.

Thank you for all your answers folks..hopefully see u soon and I am able to cope.I have worked my ass off to get where I am

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Sgtmort

Hi all. So I've to get a new laptop soon, any good recommendations? Would like a wee light one that doesn't take forever to turn on like my old one! Thanks :)

Sgtmort wrote: »
    Hi all. So I've to get a new laptop soon, any good recommendations? Would like a wee light one that doesn't take forever to turn on like my old one! Thanks :)

Stupid question, have they said you need one. I'm going to have one very upset little boy if I have to take mine with me :-/ Santa might need to visit a little earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭MustBeCrazy

Thank you for all your answers folks..hopefully see u soon and I am able to cope.I have worked my ass off to get where I am

I know to others your worrying about the goings on in GV sound a bit silly but I remember thinking similar thoughts before I went in, so I wanted to reply to you. There are some relationships formed, although I didnt hear about half of them until I'd left GV lol. It's generally not flaunted in front of you and you are certainly not expected or encouraged to join in any of the shenanigans. Please stop worrying about it, it will have no impact on your time there. The people who cheat, are the people who would cheat whereever they worked, it's no worse in the police than any other job. I think in GV some think they're back at school, but you will probably befriend like-minded people and pay little attention to any undesirable behavior you hear about. I hope that helps to put your mind at ease a bit. And sorry for any typos - sending this from my phone :-$

I know to others your worrying about the goings on in GV sound a bit silly but I remember thinking similar thoughts before I went in, so I wanted to reply to you. There are some relationships formed, although I didnt hear about half of them until I'd left GV lol. It's generally not flaunted in front of you and you are certainly not expected or lencouraged to join in any of the shenanigans. Please stop worrying about it, it will have no impact on your time there. The people who cheat, are the people who would cheat whereever they worked, it's no worse in the police than any other job. I think in GV some think they're back at school, but you will probably befriend like-minded people and pay little attention to any undesirable behavior you hear about. I hope that helps to put your mind at ease a bit. And sorry for any typos - sending this from my phone :-$

I really appreciate this..thank you

I know to others your worrying about the goings on in GV sound a bit silly but I remember thinking similar thoughts before I went in, so I wanted to reply to you. There are some relationships formed, although I didnt hear about half of them until I'd left GV lol. It's generally not flaunted in front of you and you are certainly not expected or lencouraged to join in any of the shenanigans. Please stop worrying about it, it will have no impact on your time there. The people who cheat, are the people who would cheat whereever they worked, it's no worse in the police than any other job. I think in GV some think they're back at school, but you will probably befriend like-minded people and pay little attention to any undesirable behavior you hear about. I hope that helps to put your mind at ease a bit. And sorry for any typos - sending this from my phone :-$

• Advertisement

Can anyone in current batch give me an insight into how intense it is..I don't want to waste a place if I'm not able for it..I have a young child and wondering if I get evenings off in first few weeks

Can anyone in current batch give me an insight into how intense it is..I don't want to waste a place if I'm not able for it..I have a young child and wondering if I get evenings off in first few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 45 active_edge

I think it's all relative- what's intense for one person might not be for another, or might be very intense for someone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 jontkd

Hi, The first two weeks are really intense, most days are around 16 or 17 hours long. there is not much time to do anything except iron and polish boots and read your stuff for the next days class.
    Also there are a lot of speakers and outside organisations that come in after dinner time. I have kids as well and I wasn't able to get home during the week again until near the end of the second week.
    The pressure eases off slightly in week 3, you have more free time to sort things out in the evenings.
    It sounds bad but the time flies past.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭notbrazil

Babawiggum, I've been reading through your posts on this thread. Please don't take this the wrong way as I'd really like to help put your mind at ease, but you really need to relax. I understand that preparing for GV can make people apprehensive, I was exactly the same, but you need to go in there with your head held high as over-apprehension quickly becomes anxiety, and anxiety is NOT GOOD in that sort of environment. You need to "go with the flow" to some extent and be able to laugh certain things off. If you must worry, worry about the exams or the fitness or the show parades, but don't worry about what other people will be getting up to after the lights go out.

I see no point in wrapping people in cotton wool when they ask what it's like in a Police training centre. There's a bar. People drink. Some people drink far too much and sleep with other people's wives/husbands/girlfriends/boyfriends. Some people get so drunk that they say rude things to staff members and get in lots of trouble (rare but has happened). Some people drink so much that they decide to 'have it out' with people they don't like. Some people don't even drink and end up sleeping with people's wives/husbands/girlfriends/boyfriends.

And what happens when you get to station? Exactly the same thing. I strongly believe that this sort of behaviour is more prevalent in jobs that involve shift work (such as the Police) as it is made so easy for people to have affairs. There's almost no sport in it at all ("I'm working late tonight". No questions asked).

But does all this mean that you need to do this sort of thing, or even condone it? No, of course it doesn't. I've never done it, and neither have the majority of Police officers. Just ignore it, and most importantly... RELAX!

Good luck!

P.S. I've never heard of any orgies in Garnerville. Can't think of where they might hold one as the bedrooms are quite small.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭student15

notbrazil wrote: »
    Babawiggum, I've been reading through your posts on this thread. Please don't take this the wrong way as I'd really like to help put your mind at ease, but you really need to relax. I understand that preparing for GV can make people apprehensive, I was exactly the same, but you need to go in there with your head held high as over-apprehension quickly becomes anxiety, and anxiety is NOT GOOD in that sort of environment. You need to "go with the flow" to some extent and be able to laugh certain things off. If you must worry, worry about the exams or the fitness or the show parades, but don't worry about what other people will be getting up to after the lights go out.

I see no point in wrapping people in cotton wool when they ask what it's like in a Police training centre. There's a bar. People drink. Some people drink far too much and sleep with other people's wives/husbands/girlfriends/boyfriends. Some people get so drunk that they say rude things to staff members and get in lots of trouble (rare but has happened). Some people drink so much that they decide to 'have it out' with people they don't like. Some people don't even drink and end up sleeping with people's wives/husbands/girlfriends/boyfriends.

And what happens when you get to station? Exactly the same thing. I strongly believe that this sort of behaviour is more prevalent in jobs that involve shift work (such as the Police) as it is made so easy for people to have affairs. There's almost no sport in it at all ("I'm working late tonight". No questions asked).

But does all this mean that you need to do this sort of thing, or even condone it? No, of course it doesn't. I've never done it, and neither have the majority of Police officers. Just ignore it, and most importantly... RELAX!

Good luck!

P.S. I've never heard of any orgies in Garnerville. Can't think of where they might hold one as the bedrooms are quite small.

No bar anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭notbrazil

student15 wrote: »
    No bar anymore

Boo!

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭.S.

Honestly babawiggum I do think your nerves are getting the better of you. Try and speak to serving officers, not necessarily the current squad, just someone whose been to GV relatively recently. Maybe even ring police recruitment. If you have a child it's maybe important to speak to your support network, your other half or whoever would be looking after him/her. I doubt they'd let you down but maybe they can reassure you.

Thank you I just needed an Insight..I havent studied in 8years

Thank you I just needed an Insight..I havent studied in 8years

Other people will be in the same boat as you though. If it makes you feel any better it's even longer since I did!! Wouldn't you feel much better going in and giving it your best shot rather than kick yourself for the rest of your days thinking what if?!?!? I've got 3 of my own who'll be staying ft with their dad instead of me now. I'm just trying to prepare myself thinking I'm doing it for them as much as myself. I need to set an example to my kids. I need to show them you don't quit at the first hurdle. Yes your nipper is young and won't remember but he/she will find out eventually. Mine have me well quizzed on my past and they ask everything lol!! I'm not naive enough to think it won't be hard but I'm sure it will get easier once you're in a routine besides what's 6 months out of the rest of your life?!?!??

• Advertisement
Advertisement