Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Starting in Garnerville soon? Read this:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 alex_murphy

Mop a top wrote: »
    6 months out of the rest of your life?!?!??

Really depends on how much you have left, don't you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

Really depends on how much you have left, don't you think?

Lol smart arse :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12 alex_murphy

Lol smart arse :P

Just saying... not casting aspersions on anyone... Could be a large percentage... Could be...

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Dutch_Rudder

Obviously getting ahead of myself a bit here but I was just curious, how many guests can be brought to a passing out parade?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭notbrazil

Obviously getting ahead of myself a bit here but I was just curious, how many guests can be brought to a passing out parade?

From memory, it depends on the size of your squad. I took three but four could've been possible. Applied for five tickets but got turned down.

notbrazil wrote: »
    From memory, it depends on the size of your squad. I took three but four could've been possible. Applied for five tickets but got turned down.

Thanks I appreciate that! I think I would only be wanting to take 3 anyway so I was just wondering if it was possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 quizzicaljones

Can anyone remember if it is a fitted sheet or a flat sheet for the bed?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Belfastm

Fitted I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 quizzicaljones

Belfastm wrote: »
    Fitted I think.

Thanks I thought that. The kit list says flat but I could have sworn fitted.

In the course information leaflet we received with the entrance pack it says fitted. I doubt it matters, but fitted is far easier to get on and off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Banti

73 pages on interviewing for the first ore-read? Really making us work for this first pay cheque!

Anyone ever see that in the states it is a requirement to be pepper sprayed and tasered in the academy so as to feel empathy with those you might be using these tools on? I wonder would less people apply if it happened here! Lol

http://youtu.be/TQqY-4MYwQc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭vickmackey

pepper spray is rough!!!
    havent been tasered though..........yet! ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭pcplod

Id take a tazer no problem if it meant i got in...

pcplod wrote: »
    Id take a tazer no problem if it meant i got in...

I'd go for a taser/pepper spray combo if it meant I got in :P haha

right there with ya!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭pcplod

That scene in the hangover. "in theeeee faaaaaaaaaaace!!!!!"

pcplod wrote: »
    That scene in the hangover. "in theeeee faaaaaaaaaaace!!!!!"
    what i was picturing too!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭crinkley

Anyone ever see that in the states it is a requirement to be pepper sprayed and tasered in the academy so as to feel empathy with those you might be using these tools on? I wonder would less people apply if it happened here! Lol

http://youtu.be/TQqY-4MYwQc

its a requirement in the Gardai as well, my friend said the pepper spray was far worse than the taser

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭JayC90

crinkley wrote: »
    its a requirement in the Gardai as well, my friend said the pepper spray was far worse than the taser

I've had PAVA and CS sprays, I can safely say, given the option, I'd rather take a 5 second cycle from a taser.

JayC90 wrote: »
    I've had PAVA and CS sprays, I can safely say, given the option, I'd rather take a 5 second cycle from a taser.

I haven't had any of them but I've definitely heard the gas options are by far the worst. I'm sure there's been plenty of friendly fire situations with officers coming into contact with the spray after it's been used on a suspect!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 babawiggum

Thank you folks for all your help.I have deferred to the next intake to prepare myself and my daughter.thanks to everyone who put my mind at ease.looking forward to being colleagues

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭JayC90

I haven't had any of them but I've definitely heard the gas options are by far the worst. I'm sure there's been plenty of friendly fire situations with officers coming into contact with the spray after it's been used on a suspect!

PAVA doesn't dissipate in the air in the same way as CS, PSNI carry CS as far as I know.

PAVA is like having red hot sand in your eyes, it was described by a colleague as being worse than child birth. I didn't find it so bad, but it works every time, you can't build up a resistance.

CS is horrific, it swells your mucus membrains, restricts your breathing, burns your skin, makes you snot, drool and cry like a newborn. People can build up a resistance to CS, a lot of servicemen will have a higher tollerance due to the "gas chamber" training. CS can kill if there are prexisiting medical conditions, it's also suspended in an industrial degreaser, MIBK, which is nasty stuff and can cause some people skin to blister and peel.

I'm sure the exposure during training will be a good day for all. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭PC Inwaiting

So strange to be back on here and see you all panicking out starting. Happy to answer any questions. Been through it all. Love my job worth all the blood sweat and tears

So strange to be back on here and see you all panicking out starting. Happy to answer any questions. Been through it all. Love my job worth all the blood sweat and tears

I haven't been lucky enough to get a place yet but it just occurred to me to ask, do classmates in Garnerville often end up at the same station? Just realized I've never heard anyone mention anything about that! Thanks for dropping back in! :)

• Advertisement

Lol you scared you won't get rid of us Dutch??

Lol you scared you won't get rid of us Dutch??

No comment... Nah just worried in case all these rumours of funny business and "extracurricular activities" was it, follow us all to the stations :P haha

No comment... Nah just worried in case all these rumours of funny business and "extracurricular activities" was it, follow us all to the stations :P haha

Lol "rumours" huh?!?! Dirty bit!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭PC Inwaiting

I haven't been lucky enough to get a place yet but it just occurred to me to ask, do classmates in Garnerville often end up at the same station? Just realized I've never heard anyone mention anything about that! Thanks for dropping back in! :)

Different with every squad. I only had one person come to my station. But if you get up to anything the rumours will reach your station before you arrive. Some ppl learnt that the hard way. Nothing stays a secret in this job

Can anyone recommend what I should be doing in preparation for fitness once I start

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭19087

babawiggum wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend what I should be doing in preparation for fitness once I start

Well if you passed the PCA you're obviously of a reasonable level of fitness, did you do any training for it?

I've been doing a combination of running (5k max normally) circuits (apparently there is a good bit of cross fit style stuff) and weight training. 3/4 sessions a week normally. Will have to step it up now I've got the call though! Did you defer until July?

Yes I deferred until July as I have a daughter at 3 and I want to prepare her for me going away..its all happened quite quickly after such a long wait..I did a bit of running for PCA just need to work on strength..are you in next intake

I'm starting in July :)

look forward to meeting you

look forward to meeting you

Same, don't let anything you hear put you off! If you don't at least give this a go you will wonder for the rest of your days what might have been! I'm a parent too, but keep thinking of how proud my kids will be of me when they are older :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭popolive

Ive just heard of inappropriate behaviour and that it is expected that all should join in..just looking for someone currently there to give us some feedback and that all the group are punished as a result

I'd like to know more about this.... are there really people so stupid that they actually think they can bully someone they dont' know who also happens to have easy access to firearms ? Do people really try to get on the nerves of colleagues who will one day have their back in a dangerous situation ? Or is it all in good fun ? Is the question naive ? Or is it just part of the weeding out process ?
    As for Orgies.... the only penis I want to see is my own... so where do I put my name down for some lesbian action ?

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭.S.

Obviously no ones gunna rise and get into all this again. I've heard people have hooked up in GV, it happens, people get involved with colleagues no matter what sector you work in. I very much doubt there's any expectation for everyone to behave like that, no one joins the police to sleep around. I also very much doubt there's any bullying / judgement if you don't act like this/don't drink/keep yourself to yourself. Yes, there will be banter, you should have a sense of humour. I think when you're in an intense job you need to (expression if you don't laugh you'll cry comes to mind). I imagine there would be less cases of bullying in the police than other job sectors, rather than more.

You need more teamwork in the police than in most lines of work. Colleagues are the people who'll have your back, of course some become friends, possibly more. But I think this thread needs to move on from all these rumours that are nothing more than stories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Columbo1984

Hi everyone, just looking through all the posts. There hasn't been much word from those in the first squad about how Hotel G's going so far. Can anyone give us some insight??? What are the hours like? Is the work tough? What are the trainers like?

Hi everyone, just looking through all the posts. There hasn't been much word from those in the first squad about how Hotel G's going so far. Can anyone give us some insight??? What are the hours like? Is the work tough? What are the trainers like?

Think they're all too busy working their backsides off and having their heads melted by all that learning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Columbo1984

19087 wrote: »
    Think they're all too busy working their backsides off and having their heads melted by all that learning!

Haha, sounds like a nightmare!! I'm applying for the new campaign. Just wanted a bit of insight into the world of GV. Heard a lot of "stories" on the thread here lol.

• Advertisement

And that's all we reckon they are!

I'm sure the recruits have been warned not to post anything to do with the course or details around training etc in Garnerville on a public forum. Remember the security implications of posting this sort of information guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 active_edge

Belfastm wrote: »
    I'm sure the recruits have been warned not to post anything to do with the course or details around training etc in Garnerville on a public forum. Remember the security implications of posting this sort of information guys.

Ah yes, the national security implications of "bring plenty of black pens!" etc

But yes, no doubt there have been plenty of dire threats made

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Dekkers

Thought id give this thread a bump and also wondering if the PSNI provide you with a list of necessities or are people just going with the list at the start of this thread...or is there anything that should be added to it etc. Any feedback appreciated!

Dekkers wrote: »
    Thought id give this thread a bump and also wondering if the PSNI provide you with a list of necessities or are people just going with the list at the start of this thread...or is there anything that should be added to it etc. Any feedback appreciated!

There's a kit list provided on the online learning site after you've attended your induction :) a lot of it is pretty much what's on the first post on here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Dekkers

There's a kit list provided on the online learning site after you've attended your induction :) a lot of it is pretty much what's on the first post on here!

Ah ok good to know. Cheers Dutch. C'mer, how long after call was your induction? Pm me if thats preferable! Im hoping for next call but can see a clash on the horizon ha

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭marfrig2014

Can someone let me know how long between induction and start date too?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Chief Wiggum2

It's 4 weeks from your induction weekend to the Sunday you start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

Bumpity bump :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 gvillehopeful

Is there facilities in garnerville to cook up your own meals instead of having to use the canteen? I prefer cooking my own food and can be particular lol, also enjoy cooking, especially when stressed and studying!

Advertisement