Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting in Garnerville soon? Read this:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 babawiggum

Can anyone in current batch give me an insight into how intense it is..I don't want to waste a place if I'm not able for it..I have a young child and wondering if I get evenings off in first few weeks

Can anyone in current batch give me an insight into how intense it is..I don't want to waste a place if I'm not able for it..I have a young child and wondering if I get evenings off in first few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 45 active_edge

babawiggum wrote: »

I think it's all relative- what's intense for one person might not be for another, or might be very intense for someone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 jontkd

Hi, The first two weeks are really intense, most days are around 16 or 17 hours long. there is not much time to do anything except iron and polish boots and read your stuff for the next days class.
    Also there are a lot of speakers and outside organisations that come in after dinner time. I have kids as well and I wasn't able to get home during the week again until near the end of the second week.
    The pressure eases off slightly in week 3, you have more free time to sort things out in the evenings.
    It sounds bad but the time flies past.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭notbrazil

I really appreciate this..thank you

Babawiggum, I've been reading through your posts on this thread. Please don't take this the wrong way as I'd really like to help put your mind at ease, but you really need to relax. I understand that preparing for GV can make people apprehensive, I was exactly the same, but you need to go in there with your head held high as over-apprehension quickly becomes anxiety, and anxiety is NOT GOOD in that sort of environment. You need to "go with the flow" to some extent and be able to laugh certain things off. If you must worry, worry about the exams or the fitness or the show parades, but don't worry about what other people will be getting up to after the lights go out.

I see no point in wrapping people in cotton wool when they ask what it's like in a Police training centre. There's a bar. People drink. Some people drink far too much and sleep with other people's wives/husbands/girlfriends/boyfriends. Some people get so drunk that they say rude things to staff members and get in lots of trouble (rare but has happened). Some people drink so much that they decide to 'have it out' with people they don't like. Some people don't even drink and end up sleeping with people's wives/husbands/girlfriends/boyfriends.

And what happens when you get to station? Exactly the same thing. I strongly believe that this sort of behaviour is more prevalent in jobs that involve shift work (such as the Police) as it is made so easy for people to have affairs. There's almost no sport in it at all ("I'm working late tonight". No questions asked).

But does all this mean that you need to do this sort of thing, or even condone it? No, of course it doesn't. I've never done it, and neither have the majority of Police officers. Just ignore it, and most importantly... RELAX!

Good luck!

P.S. I've never heard of any orgies in Garnerville. Can't think of where they might hold one as the bedrooms are quite small.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭student15

notbrazil wrote: »
    Babawiggum, I've been reading through your posts on this thread. Please don't take this the wrong way as I'd really like to help put your mind at ease, but you really need to relax. I understand that preparing for GV can make people apprehensive, I was exactly the same, but you need to go in there with your head held high as over-apprehension quickly becomes anxiety, and anxiety is NOT GOOD in that sort of environment. You need to "go with the flow" to some extent and be able to laugh certain things off. If you must worry, worry about the exams or the fitness or the show parades, but don't worry about what other people will be getting up to after the lights go out.

I see no point in wrapping people in cotton wool when they ask what it's like in a Police training centre. There's a bar. People drink. Some people drink far too much and sleep with other people's wives/husbands/girlfriends/boyfriends. Some people get so drunk that they say rude things to staff members and get in lots of trouble (rare but has happened). Some people drink so much that they decide to 'have it out' with people they don't like. Some people don't even drink and end up sleeping with people's wives/husbands/girlfriends/boyfriends.

And what happens when you get to station? Exactly the same thing. I strongly believe that this sort of behaviour is more prevalent in jobs that involve shift work (such as the Police) as it is made so easy for people to have affairs. There's almost no sport in it at all ("I'm working late tonight". No questions asked).

But does all this mean that you need to do this sort of thing, or even condone it? No, of course it doesn't. I've never done it, and neither have the majority of Police officers. Just ignore it, and most importantly... RELAX!

Good luck!

P.S. I've never heard of any orgies in Garnerville. Can't think of where they might hold one as the bedrooms are quite small.

No bar anymore

student15 wrote: »
    No bar anymore

Boo!

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭.S.

Honestly babawiggum I do think your nerves are getting the better of you. Try and speak to serving officers, not necessarily the current squad, just someone whose been to GV relatively recently. Maybe even ring police recruitment. If you have a child it's maybe important to speak to your support network, your other half or whoever would be looking after him/her. I doubt they'd let you down but maybe they can reassure you.

Thank you I just needed an Insight..I havent studied in 8years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

Thank you I just needed an Insight..I havent studied in 8years

Other people will be in the same boat as you though. If it makes you feel any better it's even longer since I did!! Wouldn't you feel much better going in and giving it your best shot rather than kick yourself for the rest of your days thinking what if?!?!? I've got 3 of my own who'll be staying ft with their dad instead of me now. I'm just trying to prepare myself thinking I'm doing it for them as much as myself. I need to set an example to my kids. I need to show them you don't quit at the first hurdle. Yes your nipper is young and won't remember but he/she will find out eventually. Mine have me well quizzed on my past and they ask everything lol!! I'm not naive enough to think it won't be hard but I'm sure it will get easier once you're in a routine besides what's 6 months out of the rest of your life?!?!??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 alex_murphy

Mop a top wrote: »
    6 months out of the rest of your life?!?!??

Really depends on how much you have left, don't you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

Really depends on how much you have left, don't you think?

Lol smart arse :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12 alex_murphy

Mop a top wrote: »
    Lol smart arse :P

Just saying... not casting aspersions on anyone... Could be a large percentage... Could be...

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Dutch_Rudder

Obviously getting ahead of myself a bit here but I was just curious, how many guests can be brought to a passing out parade?

Obviously getting ahead of myself a bit here but I was just curious, how many guests can be brought to a passing out parade?

From memory, it depends on the size of your squad. I took three but four could've been possible. Applied for five tickets but got turned down.

notbrazil wrote: »
    From memory, it depends on the size of your squad. I took three but four could've been possible. Applied for five tickets but got turned down.

Thanks I appreciate that! I think I would only be wanting to take 3 anyway so I was just wondering if it was possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 quizzicaljones

Can anyone remember if it is a fitted sheet or a flat sheet for the bed?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Belfastm

Fitted I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 quizzicaljones

Belfastm wrote: »
    Fitted I think.

Thanks I thought that. The kit list says flat but I could have sworn fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Belfastm

In the course information leaflet we received with the entrance pack it says fitted. I doubt it matters, but fitted is far easier to get on and off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Banti

73 pages on interviewing for the first ore-read? Really making us work for this first pay cheque!

Anyone ever see that in the states it is a requirement to be pepper sprayed and tasered in the academy so as to feel empathy with those you might be using these tools on? I wonder would less people apply if it happened here! Lol

http://youtu.be/TQqY-4MYwQc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭vickmackey

pepper spray is rough!!!
    havent been tasered though..........yet! ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭pcplod

Id take a tazer no problem if it meant i got in...

pcplod wrote: »
    Id take a tazer no problem if it meant i got in...

I'd go for a taser/pepper spray combo if it meant I got in :P haha

right there with ya!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭pcplod

That scene in the hangover. "in theeeee faaaaaaaaaaace!!!!!"

pcplod wrote: »
    That scene in the hangover. "in theeeee faaaaaaaaaaace!!!!!"
    what i was picturing too!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭crinkley

Anyone ever see that in the states it is a requirement to be pepper sprayed and tasered in the academy so as to feel empathy with those you might be using these tools on? I wonder would less people apply if it happened here! Lol

http://youtu.be/TQqY-4MYwQc

its a requirement in the Gardai as well, my friend said the pepper spray was far worse than the taser

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭JayC90

crinkley wrote: »
    its a requirement in the Gardai as well, my friend said the pepper spray was far worse than the taser

I've had PAVA and CS sprays, I can safely say, given the option, I'd rather take a 5 second cycle from a taser.

Advertisement