Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting in Garnerville soon? Read this:

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭notbrazil

Is there facilities in garnerville to cook up your own meals instead of having to use the canteen? I prefer cooking my own food and can be particular lol, also enjoy cooking, especially when stressed and studying!

Not really. There's a microwave if memory serves, but no food preparation area and certainly no kitchen. The canteen staff are great though, and they do offer a few choices for each meal (or freshly-prepared salad if you prefer). It also used to be free for student officers up to a certain maximum allowance, but I'm not sure if this is still the case. Where else would you get it? :rolleyes:

notbrazil wrote: »
    Not really. There's a microwave if memory serves, but no food preparation area and certainly no kitchen. The canteen staff are great though, and they do offer a few choices for each meal (or freshly-prepared salad if you prefer). It also used to be free for student officers up to a certain maximum allowance, but I'm not sure if this is still the case. Where else would you get it? :rolleyes:

Still the same I think. But if you want the salad option for lunch you should consider taking out a loan... It's stupidly expensive if you're decadent enough to want both chicken AND ham.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭LadyVernal

Is there facilities in garnerville to cook up your own meals instead of having to use the canteen? I prefer cooking my own food and can be particular lol, also enjoy cooking, especially when stressed and studying!

No cooking facilities. There is a small kitchen with fridges, toasters, kettles and a microwave. Im really fussy but canteen is decent enough. You get a card with £9.90 on it. If you make on breakfast in kitchen and use card for lunch and dinner you will be fine :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭.S.

Good to see you on, Hope alls going well for ya Lady V!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 GC654

Do you need to bring your own ironing board?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

GC654 wrote: »
    Do you need to bring your own ironing board?

To quote Shield 'A good ironing board is useful, saves you queuing up to use one of the few provided.'

So I would say yes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 39 loggingfolk

From mid January there is no more allowance for food, ie the £9.90 per day. Thats almost £50 per week of a pay cut. They are going to install more fridges and food prep equipment in the old bar area where students can prep their own meals.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭pb82

From mid January there is no more allowance for food, ie the £9.90 per day. Thats almost £50 per week of a pay cut. They are going to install more fridges and food prep equipment in the old bar area where students can prep their own meals.

Aye, heard that yesterday

You get the 9.90 a day for the first 4 weeks when u are living in

Small sacrifices to keep courses running I guess, when u think each squad would be getting £390 per day for 22 weeks is £42000 saved per squad

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

An unpopular move I know, but they have to find places where they can cut back unessential expenditure. Down through the years it became a race to use up all your credit or it would go to waste, and as a result, people were just buying anything and everything so the credit wouldn't be wasted.

Still: £42,000 = 2 more Student Officers.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 200WattWarlock

To be honest, 9.90 a day for food while you already have been paid once and are living off-site is excessive.

Residential would be a different matter if you don't have access to kitchen facilities and haven't had a pay-cheque, but as that stays I don't see a problem.

I make a pretty good lasagne (or stew), but it really depends on the facilities :)

But yeh, I'd rather be making my own food and have more students.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

I'll be the one arriving in the transit van

O97Yzpy.jpg?2

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭pb82

I'll be the one arriving in the transit van

O97Yzpy.jpg?2

Can't beat a Bombay bad boy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

pb82 wrote: »
    Can't beat a Bombay bad boy

Never actually had one but sure it looks like i'll be giving it a shot shortly ! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 28 200WattWarlock

I've been test driving some Pot Noodles for the last few weeks, and I'll be sticking with the Beef & Tomato, with a few Sweet & Sour mixed in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

I've been test driving some Pot Noodles for the last few weeks, and I'll be sticking with the Beef & Tomato, with a few Sweet & Sour mixed in.

I lived on Pot Noodles at college. You can reuse the pot as cup/mug/bowl :D

With this £9.90 going you'll need to be extra frugal lol

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭warofattrition

Bumpity bump.This thread used to be on fire in previous intakes!Im assuming people aren't as keen to post after "advice" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Batman91

At the last induction weekend a good lot of us started a whatsapp group so that may be why.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Cromlech

Anyone from previous intakes able to tell me how strict they are with the logos on sports kit? As it's proving pretty difficult to find unbranded kit.

Cheers in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 mambono5

small adidas, nike logos etc are fine!

mambono5 wrote: »
    small adidas, nike logos etc are fine!

Thank you, I was looking everywhere for completely blank kit.

• Advertisement

Cromlech wrote: »
    Thank you, I was looking everywhere for completely blank kit.

haha think my make was trespass and was completley black but most had logos, just as long as it they are all black and no large writing on in you'll be sweet

haha think my make was trespass and was completley black but most had logos, just as long as it they are all black and no large writing on in you'll be sweet

Cheers, I'm useless at shopping I generally go to the same 2 shops. Seen some suitable stuff today so I'll be grabbing them. Roughly how many sets of kit would you suggest bringing?

Cheers, I'm useless at shopping I generally go to the same 2 shops. Seen some suitable stuff today so I'll be grabbing them. Roughly how many sets of kit would you suggest bringing?

personal preference really, i just had 2 teeshirts 2 pairs of trackie bottoms and a pair of shorts, normally have 1 p.e. session and 1 psp session timetabled a week when you'll need it and then up to you how much you go to gym but you'll have either 2 or 3 training sessions to do in your own time.

personal preference really, i just had 2 teeshirts 2 pairs of trackie bottoms and a pair of shorts, normally have 1 p.e. session and 1 psp session timetabled when you'll need it and then up to you how much you go to gym but you'll have either 2 or 3 training sessions to do in your own time.

Ok no problem, I was thinking 2 would be enough. Are the gym facilities decent?

Thanks for your help.

no probs sure pm if ya think of any more questions, yeh the gym facilities are good and not too busy most of the time!

no probs sure pm if ya think of any more questions, yeh the gym facilities are good and not too busy most of the time!

That's not too bad, I'm assuming in the first weeks there isn't much spare time to be using the gym, and hahaha you might end up regretting that offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 coka67

That's not too bad, I'm assuming in the first weeks there isn't much spare time to be using the gym, and hahaha you might end up regretting that offer.

You definately don't have time but you have to do 3 gym sessions and log it in your book in the first week! Congrats all. Be prepared - it's a huge shock to the system when you're in! See you all soon

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Otter Man

Decathlon have some decent gym gear that's all black and well priced. I got gym shorts for £5 and they have the same quality as my Nike ones at £20

Otter Man wrote: »
    Decathlon have some decent gym gear that's all black and well priced. I got gym shorts for £5 and they have the same quality as my Nike ones at £20

I'll have to head over and have a look.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 poetL

I take it the passport photos they asked us to bring with us this weekend are for our ID badges?

What I'm really asking is will I have to shave off the four week old beard of which I am quite proud?

Advertisement