Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting in Garnerville soon? Read this:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Cromlech

poetL wrote: »
    I take it the passport photos they asked us to bring with us this weekend are for our ID badges?

What I'm really asking is will I have to shave off the four week old beard of which I am quite proud?

Do we have to shave? I was under the impression beards are allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 mambono5

beards are fine and allowed if well kept/trimmed but ya might get a bit of stick from the drill staff haha and your photos must match how you look as once you have a beard if you choose to shave it off then you will get into bother and have to see about getting a new warrant card

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Cromlech

mambono5 wrote: »
    beards are fine and allowed if well kept/trimmed but ya might get a bit of stick from the drill staff haha and your photos must match how you look as once you have a beard if you choose to shave it off then you will get into bother and have to see about getting a new warrant card

That's ok, I haven't been without a beard for years, I wouldn't be shaving it off anytime soon.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

mambono5 wrote: »
    beards are fine and allowed...
    Wow. The times they are a-changin'.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 SolidSnake44

Shield wrote: »

Thank christ! Very chuffed to hear beards are allowed - I was still under the impression it was a clean shaven every morning set up!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 poetL

Great to meet everyone at the induction last weekend, it's all getting very real and very scary! Quick question for anyone who has been through G'ville:

obviously I have been vetted for tattoos, and I'm aware of the policy (not showing in uniform, nothing too large or offensive) but would they have any objections if I used this down time between jobs to get a tattoo? Would I have to contact them and show them it or would I be ok as long as I follow the basic policy?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

...would they have any objections if I used this down time between jobs to get a tattoo? Would I have to contact them and show them it or would I be ok as long as I follow the basic policy?
    No, but they would be curious to know why you're getting another one.
    Would I have to contact them and show them it or would I be ok as long as I follow the basic policy?
    As a Student Officer, if anything changes from the time you initially applied to the present day, then you must complete a 'Change of Circumstances' form, describing the new tattoo, and saying where it is. I think the form may have a different name, but I can't be sure.

I imagine they would be happy to see that you were clued in enough to send a colour photo of the tat, along with a measuring means. For example, holding a one pound coin beside a tat shows how big it is, relevant to the size of a pound coin.

Even if you get it while you are waiting to be called into Garnerville, you still have to notify Recruitment of the change of circumstance.

Hope this helps.

-Shield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 63 ✭✭Icarus9

Thought I would bump this back up the page with people starting soon from campaign 2. Does anyone from the last campaign have anything to add to the great list on the first page?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Tinfoilcap

Icarus9 wrote: »
    Thought I would bump this back up the page with people starting soon from campaign 2. Does anyone from the last campaign have anything to add to the great list on the first page?

Just a few things that spring to mind.
    I know you've just passed a pca but don't stop going to the gym, increase the intensity of your training. When you get into the hotel you'll realise that you aren't as fit as you thought you were. Make sure what you're doing is functional. Try to be able to run 1k in under 5 and a half mins, it's something you'll do a lot!!

Really try to learn your online learning, you have an exam to do in week 2 and you use a lot of it for exams in week 8 too.

And when you're in, speak to the senior squads. They'll be able to help you massively.

You don't need to bring a flat sheet, a fitted one is fine.

Excuse the poorly formatted post, I'm just firing down things that pop into my head. Feel free to pm me if you want anything more specific and il try to get back to you asap.

Shield wrote: »

Haha, exactly what I thought when I looked at the graduation class from a few months ago. So many hairy (although admittedly well trimmed) men.

The drill staff even a few years ago would've had you double timing the trim trail for that kind of decadent facial hair!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Jalapeno peppers

What do you wear in the evenings in GV? Are you in business attire until bed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Catdog33

Did you get the call jalapeño? :)

Yes got call on Friday :) been too busy sorting out my affairs at work to celebrate!

What do you wear in the evenings in GV? Are you in business attire until bed ?

Whatever you want, you're in uniform (unless specifically told otherwise) until 5pm. Just make sure it's not a football/ rugby top or something else which could cause offence to somebody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Catdog33

Well done you!

Yes got call on Friday :) been too busy sorting out my affairs at work to celebrate!

Well done dude. Generally people wear anything comfortable in the evenings. Just a warning... you'll never see as many people wearing a jeans and trainers combo outside of an uncool dad convention. ;)

Haha as long as its not suit trousers and trainers!

Or tracksuit bottoms and formal shoes (I've seen it done)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 LovelyHorse

Beards. Ok, this should probably be a thread in and of itself, given the number of guys asking about it, but it seems unclear. I'm aware that they're now permitted at GV, but my question relates to our id photos. i have a nice, neatly trimmed beard which i'm reluctant to shave off. A friend who is currently serving told me that the rules are as follows: if your warrant card/ id shows you with a beard and you later decide to shave it off, then you have to get a new photograph taken and a new id card. However, if you are clean shaven in your id photograph and later decide to grow a beard, apparently it is ok and there is no need to change your id card. My friend (a constable) is pretty sure that that is the score, which he thinks is absurd. Can anyone offer some clarity on this?

When i got my vetting forms i shaved it off for the photograph, with the thought that i could either grow it back or remain clean shaven without any hassle. I shaved it off again for the PCA, but since regrew it and my other half is quite keen for me to keep it. I look like quite boyish without it.

My vetting forms stated that the photo i sent would be used for my id, but the welcome pack asks me to bring 4 photos! What are these for? Do i need to get more taken with my beard? If i do, do i then have to keep the beard? Or should i just bring the remainder of the set (clean shaven) i had taken for vetting?

I apologise for bringing up what must now seem like a tired subject, but it seems that a lot of guys are asking the same question and there is not a lot of clarity. Any insights from those on the inside would be appreciated.

Hello LovelyHorse.

You receive the official documentation regarding the rules for facial hair when you join. In short, the picture on your warrant card must bear as close a resemblance as possible to your appearance in real life.

If your appearance changes significantly (beard, moustache, glasses, shaven head, etc.), then the picture on your warrant must be changed to reflect your new appearance.

It really is that simple!

-Shield.

Should we be going for thick black socks or normal black socks?
    I was going to get thick ones but bearing in mind we start in the summer its going to be warm and the thick ones might be too much...
    What about taking normal ones and wearing 2 pairs if needs must?

• Advertisement

Should we be going for thick black socks or normal black socks?
    I was going to get thick ones but bearing in mind we start in the summer its going to be warm and the thick ones might be too much...
    What about taking normal ones and wearing 2 pairs if needs must?

I wear normal black ones with no issues, others wear thick ones. It's personal preference really but don't rush out and buy 5 thick pairs like I did. As long as you got the right size you should be fine with one pair of socks.

I'll probably just start with normal and see how I get on I can't see myself wearing big wooly socks in the summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭KevBo2015

Haha was thinking this myself, summer and all that uniform! Just hope everyone keeps on top of their personal hygiene lol.

How is everyone getting along with the preparation these days?

Going very well got everything I need except a few wee items I ordered from ebay- a clothes brush is seeming a hard thing to get a hold of :S

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭jwhdkl5736

Going very well got everything I need except a few wee items I ordered from ebay- a clothes brush is seeming a hard thing to get a hold of :S

Tesco sell them on the haberdashery aisle end. They're usually facing checkouts, near the shoe polish and that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

If you're stuck use a damp rubber glove or wrap sticky tape round your hand sticky side out.

Just get a lint roller and a few refills. It's the easiest thing to use!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

A Lint roller will be your best mate in there!

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭.S.

A Lint roller will be your best mate in there!

Good to see you checking in DC, hope alls going well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 KNIFEYSPOON

Just received my verbal offer over the phone from the recruitment team, got my dates for both the induction weekend and actual training. Over the moon!!!

Advertisement