Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting in Garnerville soon? Read this:

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Catdog33

Just received my verbal offer over the phone from the recruitment team, got my dates for both the induction weekend and actual training. Over the moon!!!

Awesome well done!! Calls are going out then! Eek! what AC score did you get?

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭.S.

Congrats knifey, see ya at induction!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 KNIFEYSPOON

Catdog33 wrote: »
    Awesome well done!! Calls are going out then! Eek! what AC score did you get?

Many thanks! Got an A in the AC Catdog. Hope you receive your call soon!

.S. wrote: »
    Congrats knifey, see ya at induction!

Thanks S! See you there, can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 elliotness

Was there much of a wait between induction and training? Notice period at work etc

• Advertisement

elliotness wrote: »
    Was there much of a wait between induction and training? Notice period at work etc

A month between the induction and the Sunday start date.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Catdog33

Holy moly I've a fair bit of shopping to do lol! I'm noting the sewing kit- I can't even sew a button on a shirt!! :-/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Joe789

My girlfriend is pregnant and due whilst im in GV. Is anyone able to tell me what the normal procedure is when she goes into labour? Has anyone been the husband/partner or anyone in their intake been in this position?

Obviously I know im not getting paternity leave! Being there for the birth though would be nice as it is our first. Whatever they say goes and im prepared to get on with it as its only a short time to get through. Do they allow you to go to the birth or is it all dependant on whats on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

Joe789 wrote: »
    My girlfriend is pregnant and due whilst im in GV. Is anyone able to tell me what the normal procedure is when she goes into labour? Has anyone been the husband/partner or anyone in their intake been in this position?

Obviously I know im not getting paternity leave! Being there for the birth though would be nice as it is our first. Whatever they say goes and im prepared to get on with it as its only a short time to get through. Do they allow you to go to the birth or is it all dependant on whats on?

Huge congrats Joe!!! When my now ex hubby was in hotel GV we were expecting our first born. This was back when the 50:50 intake was going on so it was several years ago. I think he was allowed 3days off cos he'd miss far too much and had to catch up on work he missed out. We were quite lucky cos I went over my due date and had to be induced so we knew the exact dates he'd be missing classes so he could arrange catch up work etc before he was off. They gave me a number to ring at hotel GV for emergencies, I'd say if she goes into labour, it's a case of ring the number and someone tells you and you drive like a maniac lol.

Have you thought about deferring? I know a guy from C1 that did it twice cos his little one was due just after he should have started then the baby wasn't well.

Can I just say from the woman's POV it's really tough going being a new mum but having your partner not there is even worse. I hope she has a really good support network around her cos you are both going to need it. I'm not saying this to scaremonger you but you're better being mentally prepared for it. It's the scariest and most rewarding thing you'll ever do and I tell anyone who's becoming a new parent, you can listen to everyone who's going to give you advice and suggestions but when it comes down to it you, your gf and the baby are the only thing that matters so suit yourselves, do what works best for your wee family and to hell with everyone else's opinion ;) you'll see what I mean after being a parent lol.

In all seriousness it was tough going for us both but my ex said its one of his proudest moments, standing out on the square after the passing out parade for a photograph holding his 8 week old son in his arms. My son loves the photo too.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 statusz

I'm in a very similar position Joe and I intend to ask these questions on the induction weekend.

We are very lucky that my sister-in-law is prepared to play daddie for the time that I can't be there to help my wife out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭MikeOneJuliet

Joe, as a recent graduate of GV with pregnancies on my course I can tell you that you will get time off. Your other half will be given a number to call when she goes into labour and you'll be informed. At that point you can shoot off. Tell your trainers the date you're expecting and they will work with you. If you miss too many days then you will be back squadded to the course behind you. You're usually given a day or two depending on the timing.

Congrats though!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 dementedfairy8

Whatever you do, do not defer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Joe789

Thanks everyone for your congratulations and your info. Statusz, happy days something in common to start us off with!

Deferring wasn't an option as soon as the opportunity came I had to take it.

Being able to take a day would be great, being there for the birth is the main thing if possible and sure they send you home and you're not allowed back to 1300 the next day! She may pop on a weekend and save any hassle! She's not too far away now, due not far after the new year.

What's the story with being back squadded? They would be a fair few weeks behind, are you sent off site until they catch up?

Thanks everyone for your congratulations and your info. Statusz, happy days something in common to start us off with!

Deferring wasn't an option as soon as the opportunity came I had to take it.

Being able to take a day would be great, being there for the birth is the main thing if possible and sure they send you home and you're not allowed back to 1300 the next day! She may pop on a weekend and save any hassle! She's not too far away now, due not far after the new year.

What's the story with being back squadded? They would be a fair few weeks behind, are you sent off site until they catch up?

They will be 5 weeks behind you. Usually you join their squad immediately. Generally they try to accommodate you though to catch you up, even if it's evening lessons. I missed a day of firearms due to sickness and they did 3 evening sessions with me so I didn't have to be back squadded

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Breaking bad

I've read through a lot of the first posts on this thread but it's from 8 years ago. Has much of the stuff changed during this time?

I also seen about pay and I'm still confused over how much you get and is there the extra allowance?

I've read through a lot of the first posts on this thread but it's from 8 years ago. Has much of the stuff changed during this time?

I also seen about pay and I'm still confused over how much you get and is there the extra allowance?

You get the new pay scales in the welcome pack and the NI allowance is on top of salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭IvanT1984

I'm gonna ask a silly question but what is the northern Ireland allowance and is it already included in the trainee payscale or is that the jumpvin pay after graduation from GV

IvanT1984 wrote: »
    I'm gonna ask a silly question but what is the northern Ireland allowance and is it already included in the trainee payscale or is that the jumpvin pay after graduation from GV

I think it is 'danger money' as we are still under threat. Not sure if that is the jump in pay, hmm

Ahhh blood money for the old school

The allowance is on top of salary for all police officers(not sure about staff). Its not included in the pay scales because its always subject to review (think its every 3/5years)

Also FYI the allowance isn't pensionable but taxable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

My understanding is that the allowance is to assist in security precautions e.g. taking the long way/different way home, changing your routine etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭badi15

So this induction weekend thingy. Apart from what it says in the welcome pack, is there anything else you can recommend bringing? Will we need to take notes on anything while we're there? What exactly happens over the weekend?

badi15 wrote: »
    So this induction weekend thingy. Apart from what it says in the welcome pack, is there anything else you can recommend bringing? Will we need to take notes on anything while we're there? What exactly happens over the weekend?

I was gonna bring a notepad and pen and the other stuff just :)

Take notes yes, you'll meet the staff members responsible for your squad and have some talks and get paperwork given to you you'll need to complete for your start date. Dress smart and enjoy :)

.S. wrote: »
    Take notes yes, you'll meet the staff members responsible for your squad and have some talks and get paperwork given to you you'll need to complete for your start date. Dress smart and enjoy :)

I thankfully seen this in the notes. Was going to wear smart work trousers and a shirt just or is this tie and everything lol?

I thankfully seen this in the notes. Was going to wear smart work trousers and a shirt just or is this tie and everything lol?

Business attire. Wear a suit. One guy turned up once in jeans and t shirt and had a bunch of show parades for it

Quick question for anybody who has started GV recently do we get issued a Kit Bag for our Uniform or would we be better bringing another bag to store all our kit in

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Tinfoilcap

you get one issued.

Thanks thought that was the case just wanted to be sure

• Advertisement

Yep you get a kit bag issued, suit case / cover comes in handy though!

Advertisement