Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting in Garnerville soon? Read this:

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭The Rookie

I know im probably posting this in the wrong area so please be gentle on me.

When do you find out where you will be stationed? Do you have a choice in this?

P.S hoping I get that far this time around.

Thanks BB2014

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

We were told you have to put down 3 choices about week 16 of your training. They'll give you the areas though. You apparently find out a couple of weeks before graduation

I'll also say we were strongly reminded that when you applied you ticked a box saying you understand you could be posted anywhere in NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭MikeOneJuliet

Mop a top wrote: »
    We were told you have to put down 3 choices about week 16 of your training. They'll give you the areas though. You apparently find out a couple of weeks before graduation

I'll also say we were strongly reminded that when you applied you ticked a box saying you understand you could be posted anywhere in NI.

In an ideal world, yes. In reality, no. Most likely you'll make your choices in week 17-18. 4 choices in order of preference. Sometimes they know which districts are hiring and you can only pick from that list, other times they don't know who is hiring so you have all to pick from. In our case, we were told we could pick from all districts. Two weeks later we were given our stations and told only 5 were hiring. They try their best to give you one of your top 4 but there's always someone who doesn't get what they want. There's also been cases of people only finding out station the day before graduation! It can be luck of the draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭The Rookie

Thank you both for your reply. Thats great help ðŸ‘☺

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭stm1

Is there any consideration for those with families or mortgages? Would they really expect someone from Belfast to move to Derry/Londonderry?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭iamveryhopeful

stm1 wrote: »
    Is there any consideration for those with families or mortgages? Would they really expect someone from Belfast to move to Derry/Londonderry?

:D

lol can't be offending anyone now, can I?

stm1 wrote: »

You can put it as a circumstance in wanting a specific station but it doesn't mean it will make a difference. Unfortunately you join the job and agree to being sent anywhere in the province. I know a few people who drive over 40 miles each way to their station.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 UsidoreTheBlue

stm1 wrote:

Absolutely, and it is not uncommon for at least a few people from each intake to end up in that kind of position. Family circumstances do not farm part of the the process for making decisions about postings, and once a posting is assigned, there is almost nil chance of getting it changed.

Given that they are specifically trying to recruit people from the NW, I would suggest that there is a higher than normal chance at present of ending up being sent that way.

Thanks for the replies. Interesting to know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

Some good info here re where you could be posted :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=89076233

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

This is due a bump :D

Great place for information for those heading in. Also a great spot to leave some handy tips for those who will be following behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 COYS777

Hey,

Sorry if this has already been answered before. Over the course of the 22 weeks training are you there weekends too or just mon-Fri and how much of the 22 weeks is fully residential with no time out? Married man here with kids....could be in bother with the boss with all the skiving!!
    Many thanks

COYS777 wrote: »
    Hey,

Sorry if this has already been answered before. Over the course of the 22 weeks training are you there weekends too or just mon-Fri and how much of the 22 weeks is fully residential with no time out? Married man here with kids....could be in bother with the boss with all the skiving!!
    Many thanks

The course is mainly mon/fri but there will be the odd Saturday if you end up being in GV over a bank holiday week. The first 4 weeks are residential, after that, so long as you live within 30 miles of the college you will be expected to commute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

Theres a few in our squad that live less than 30miles away but they've been able to live in. Saves a fortune on diesel and time in the traffic lol. We were told anyone over 30miles gets preference, under that radius and they'll try to accommodate you if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Good craic

Hey,

Many thanks

The course is mainly mon/fri but there will be the odd Saturday if you end up being in GV over a bank holiday week. The first 4 weeks are residential, after that, so long as you live within 30 miles of the college you will be expected to commute.

New poster here so forgive my ignorance if this has been discussed before! To clarify am I correct in saying there 22 weeks based in Garnerville? I'm well outside 30miles from it so I am wondering will I based there Monday - Friday for 22 consecutive weeks if PCA, vetting etc is all passed?

In addition this is possibly a naive question but regarding shift work you'll be doing, I was of the impression that you'd be working on 12 hour shifts, but have heard from different people that this isn't the case? Can anyone confirm what length is a standard shift you'd be on once you complete Garnerville?

Many thanks in advance.

Good craic wrote: »
    Hey,

Many thanks

New poster here so forgive my ignorance if this has been discussed before! To clarify am I correct in saying there 22 weeks based in Garnerville? I'm well outside 30miles from it so I am wondering will I based there Monday - Friday for 22 consecutive weeks if PCA, vetting etc is all passed?

In addition this is possibly a naive question but regarding shift work you'll be doing, I was of the impression that you'd be working on 12 hour shifts, but have heard from different people that this isn't the case? Can anyone confirm what length is a standard shift you'd be on once you complete Garnerville?

Many thanks in advance.

Living so far away you will be given a room for the entire 22 weeks. You can apply to stay on weekends too if you need to. Regarding shift work, there are no shifts in garnerville. Your day typically starts at 7am for parade with lectures and practicals throughout the day until around 5-6pm. There are a few occasions where you will work from lunch time to 10pm but they are few and far between. Shifts do not start until you're in station, they will vary depending where you are but yes, you will see 10-12 hour shifts at some point, possibly longer if you're unlucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Good craic

Thanks MikeOneJuliet, I didn't word the second question as clearly as I should, I meant how long are shifts once your in station?

Good craic wrote: »
    Thanks MikeOneJuliet, I didn't word the second question as clearly as I should, I meant how long are shifts once your in station?

Yeah I noticed that after I replied and then edited my post. Your shifts really can vary depending where you are. For example some of my shifts are only 8 hours. More typically they are either 8, 9 or 10 hours but there are times where you are detailed 12 hours shifts. I've been lucky enough where my longest shift has only been 14.5 hours, but I'm sure Shield and the likes can provide horror stories of 20 hour shifts during public order!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

You lucky thing. An 8-hour shift? Who did you sleep with to get 8-hour shifts?

20-hour shifts do happen, but they're not exactly commonplace, and (in my experience), you DO get your back scratched if you scratch the back of the person asking if you can stay on.

Swing and roundabouts, people. Swing and roundabouts.
    For example some of my shifts are only 8 hours... I'm sure Shield and the likes can provide horror stories of 20 hour shifts during public order!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Tackleberry1

Just out of interest (fear!) What is the physical training like in GV? Running etc what happens if you can't keep up?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Life_On_Mars

The standard is not unachievable for anybody willing to apply themselves. It's cross fit based so everybody works as hard as they can individually and your class should support you if you struggle. If you can pass the PCA and have determination then you'll have no worries. The staff are realistic and very knowledgable.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Tackleberry1

Great thanks, was just imagining the worst or failing on being not fit enough. Passed the pca easy enough though so hopefully should be fit enough to pass at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭C3POPO

The standard is not unachievable for anybody willing to apply themselves. It's cross fit based so everybody works as hard as they can individually and your class should support you if you struggle. If you can pass the PCA and have determination then you'll have no worries. The staff are realistic and very knowledgable.
    I thought that you just had to pass the PCA again at the end of Garnerville. Are there other tests?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭dollasign

There is no other "tests" but there is fitness classes in which the PT instructors do various exercises with you - like running round the trim trail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭D4z

I heard there was between 2-3 5k runs while in GV?

Are those tests or just 5k jogs

They are not pass or fail as into say if you dont pass this you are out, but you will get shouted at by the ptis and put on action plans if your fitness is not up to scratch but you wont be thrown out of gville unless you cant do the PCA. There is also a beep test which we have to reach level 7 but again i dont believe this is pass or your out its more of just pass this or else we will make you do more.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭C3POPO

dollasign wrote: »
    They are not pass or fail as into say if you dont pass this you are out, but you will get shouted at by the ptis and put on action plans if your fitness is not up to scratch but you wont be thrown out of gville unless you cant do the PCA. There is also a beep test which we have to reach level 7 but again i dont believe this is pass or your out its more of just pass this or else we will make you do more.
    So you will just get some Special High Intensity Training from the PTIs if you are not up to scratch!! ;):):)

C3POPO wrote: »
    So you will just get some Special High Intensity Training from the PTIs if you are not up to scratch!! ;):):)

Exactly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭D4z

Say I'm excellent at bulling/polishing my boots but terrible at ironing, is it a thing to trade these in GV? Say I polish the boots of someone who isn't that great at polishing and in-turn they iron my kit?

Trying to get the mrs to train me but shirts are just so annoying!

Advertisement