Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting in Garnerville soon? Read this:

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Life_On_Mars

People always want boots done. A shirt takes 10 mins, boots at least an hour. You'll not struggle to get a swap there mate

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Tackleberry1

D4z you've got a deal! I'll do your shirts of you do my boots!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭dollasign

D4z wrote: »
    Say I'm excellent at bulling/polishing my boots but terrible at ironing, is it a thing to trade these in GV? Say I polish the boots of someone who isn't that great at polishing and in-turn they iron my kit?

Trying to get the mrs to train me but shirts are just so annoying!

No offence to your mrs but i would scrap that theres a special way to iron them apparently and the crease must be exactly right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭D4z

D4z you've got a deal! I'll do your shirts of you do my boots!

I hope we get into the same squad.
    dollasign wrote: »
    No offence to your mrs but i would scrap that theres a special way to iron them apparently and the crease must be exactly right.

I mean the basic fundamentals of ironing, I think I have lifted an iron once in my life. :(

D4z wrote: »
    I hope we get into the same squad.

I mean the basic fundamentals of ironing, I think I have lifted an iron once in my life. :(

Yeah i hope i can find someone to do my ironing ! (of course i will do someones boots in return)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Tinfoilcap

dollasign wrote: »

A special way where you shouldn't have any creases apart from where you're meant to have creases.... It's not hard to iron your uniform.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭WannabePC123

This is going to sound quite silly lol Does anyone have any idea on piercings for GV. I have quiet a few on my ear and was just wondering if I need to take them out or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

This is going to sound quite silly lol Does anyone have any idea on piercings for GV. I have quiet a few on my ear and was just wondering if I need to take them out or not.

'No items of jewellery may be worn through the nose, eyebrows, lips, ears, tongue or any other visible part of the body.'

Only allowed items of jewellery allowed on duty are a wristwatch, wedding ring, engagement ring, civil or other partnership ring and signet ring.

Google PSNI Uniform Style Guide :)

Homer01 wrote: »

'No items of jewellery may be worn through the nose, eyebrows, lips, ears, tongue or any other visible part of the body.'

Only allowed items of jewellery allowed on duty are a wristwatch, wedding ring, engagement ring, civil or other partnership ring and signet ring.

Google PSNI Uniform Style Guide :)

Thanks Homer01!!:)

It did mention not visible piercings as well. Just said the officer should be mindful of safety issues lol

• Advertisement

Is the list on the first page updated / current on what we should bring? Anyone know if there is anything else that isn't included on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭blueboat

Boot cleaning - any polish that works better others? Expert boot cleaning advice welcome.

blueboat wrote: »
    Boot cleaning - any polish that works better others? Expert boot cleaning advice welcome.

Kiwi; nothing else comes close.

If you haven't read this whole thread then I highly recommend it. It's fun to read at any time I can only imagine how great it would be after getting the call.

Hopefully some recent recruits will check back in and add to this.

Thanks homer. Must dash out and grab some to 'brush' up on my technique if you will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭majgreen

Kiwi and a jewellers cloth ( 5 on Amazon) will work your boots a treat. Sneaky tip, thin layer of polish, rub it in, then heat it up with a hairdryer to make it smooth and even.

You'll be shown how to bull your boots by your senior squad on your first day though. I thoroughly recommend getting a good start on them as early as you can.

Thanks majgreen, seems kiwi is the way to go. Nice tip on the hairdryer, never thought of that.

majgreen wrote: »
    Kiwi and a jewellers cloth ( 5 on Amazon) will work your boots a treat. Sneaky tip, thin layer of polish, rub it in, then heat it up with a hairdryer to make it smooth and even.

You'll be shown how to bull your boots by your senior squad on your first day though. I thoroughly recommend getting a good start on them as early as you can.

Didn't know a hairdryer would do the trick. I've been using a heat gun to do it, was considering bringing that to GV as it gives such a nice even finish compared to a lighter.

Heat gun works great but a hairdryer is more readily available and re-useable for most people. Boots will be shiny in no time!

I think you find out the day before attestation?

There is then 10 weeks of firearms/driving etc before you’ll be on station?

Could be wrong but I’m sure someone will clarify.

Martin.

Is this still the case? Is this additional to your time in GV prior to going to your station?

Homer01 wrote: »
    I think you find out the day before attestation?

There is then 10 weeks of firearms/driving etc before you ll be on station?

Could be wrong but I m sure someone will clarify.

Martin.

Is this still the case? Is this additional to your time in GV prior to going to your station?

No, this is the old system. Firearms is incorporated into the 22 weeks and driving is done once you're in station depending on operational need. Generally speaking you find out your station around week 18/19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ZeGerman

For your boots, bring make up pads, lots and lots of make up pads. I'd also scrap the sewing kit as you get multiples of everything you might need a button on.

I heard you're allowed a full beard in GV but I am curious what constitutes a full beard?

You're either clean shaven or a good few weeks growth. If it's just stubly then you'll be told to shave

Does it have to be a dan bilzarian beard or could you have a keanu reeves with a few patches going on?

Found this from about 18 months ago.
    mambono5 wrote: »
    beards are fine and allowed if well kept/trimmed but ya might get a bit of stick from the drill staff haha and your photos must match how you look as once you have a beard if you choose to shave it off then you will get into bother and have to see about getting a new warrant card

A short beard is okay so long as it's tidy and not just a few days worth of stubble. It's a lot more relaxed out at station though

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭TheCub

If you have an important occasion during training would you be allowed off for it? Such as a wedding.

TheCub wrote: »
    If you have an important occasion during training would you be allowed off for it? Such as a wedding.

Would like to know this too. I have my sisters wedding next year and wouldn't like to see the reaction if I couldn't be her bridesmaid lol!

From what I've seen and read there are no holidays given during GV. If you're getting married or birth of a child then you'll get a day off.

I'm sure someone more qualified than me will have a definitive answer.

• Advertisement

Homer has hit it on the head no holidays allowed in Gville unless it directly involves you eg your wedding or your child birth nothing else and you only get one day.

Advertisement