Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Starting in Garnerville soon? Read this:

1323334353638»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭recruit099

Homer or anyone else know is the first 4 weeks are optional to stay? Or is it now you can no longer stay at all unless you meet the requirements?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭WittyName291

The latter. Only stay if you meet requirements

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭recruit099

That’s fair, wanted to atleast stay for the first 4 weeks but sure I’ll suck it up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

recruit099 wrote: »
    Homer or anyone else know is the first 4 weeks are optional to stay? Or is it now you can no longer stay at all unless you meet the requirements?

All or nothing; stay for full course or not at all. Again only if you live 35+ miles away.

It is a shame but budget cuts and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Skinofmyteeth

For the tech gurus, I have an ageing laptop. Any tablets out there that you can use to carry out the work needed to do in Garneville or would you recommend getting a new laptop?

• Advertisement

For the tech gurus, I have an ageing laptop. Any tablets out there that you can out the work needed to do in Garneville or would you recommend getting a new laptop?

All you really need it for is your work based project so Word and an internet connection.

Everything else you can do on the computers in Garnerville. A small tablet is certainly useful but not essential

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Skinofmyteeth

Homer01 wrote: »
    All you really need it for is your work based project so Word and an internet connection.

Everything else you can do on the computers in Garnerville. A small tablet is certainly useful but not essential

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭blueboat

If I can give one tip for starting GV, just roll with it - you'll be outside your comfort zone and there will be times where you feel like "stuff this" but it'll all come good after the initial period. It's just a big game.

The rollercoaster doesn't stop when you get through the green gates.

Fortunately the up days outweigh the down days. There are loads of really great up days that you'll not get anywhere else :D

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Trainee bob

sooo how early is to early to show up for induction??...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 PumpinRon

sooo how early is to early to show up for induction??...
    I think 30mins would be excessive; I'll be arriving 15mins before appointed time. See you all there.

You will be sent away if you're too early.
    As said about 15 minutes before the time would be ideal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 GV2018

How are you getting on Homer? Must be getting toward the end of the course now?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Ciano1997

Guys I’m hoping to apply in the next recruitment campaign I’m from the south Dublin. Have a few questions about the Police college. So you get to stay on campus mon-fri be able to leave Friday and return back sun?

With regards of getting paid while training, how long do you have till you can find sustainable accommodation before starting at the station you are based in?

If anyone is from the south of Ireland could you please message me and tell me about your experience in the PSNI , any news is helpful.
    Kind regards
    C

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Faugha

Hi all,

Just wondering how much of the previous posts by Homer etc apply to those of us starting in August given that it’s no longer residential... any hints or tips or ideas how it differs. I’m guessing no show parades if you havnt a bed space etc

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 3 GV

What are you looking to know specifically? No show parades any more full stop.

Faugha wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just wondering how much of the previous posts by Homer etc apply to those of us starting in August given that it’s no longer residential... any hints or tips or ideas how it differs. I’m guessing no show parades if you havnt a bed space etc

TIA

Congrats on getting the call!

I assume it's the same; i.e. the 35 mile limit? I was not residential so made the journey in and out every day, changing in cramped locker space and ultimately living the dream :D

That said; anything I've posted here is from someone who doesn't live in.

Any questions just shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 ldngal18

The 35 mile rule still applies - you can use your card in the canteen though. No need to carry lots of cash around :)

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭W221

GV wrote: »
    What are you looking to know specifically? No show parades any more full stop.

GV you seem to be in the know.

Just wanted to clarify, no mandatory residential period of 4 weeks and no show parades at all? I live fairly close to GV.

W221 wrote: »
    GV you seem to be in the know.

Just wanted to clarify, no mandatory residential period of 4 weeks and no show parades at all? I live fairly close to GV.

That sums it up.

• Advertisement

[HTML][/HTML]
    Homer01 wrote: »
    That sums it up.

Cool! Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Fuxxy

Just to ask, for bringing your items/kit to work is there any backpacks that would be recommended?

Obviously not for anything that needs ironed, as I would have suit holders for that.

Fuxxy wrote: »
    Just to ask, for bringing your items/kit to work is there any backpacks that would be recommended?

Obviously not for anything that needs ironed, as I would have suit holders for that.

I’d probably go for a gym grip style bag, wee bit bigger than a rucksack.

Fuxxy wrote: »

I brought a small backpack which went from the locker room to the classroom and back again.

Much handier than carrying a huge ring binder, stationery, printer paper and other bits with you. Our classroom was a considerable distance from the locker room so forgetting something was a right pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 FrmOutsideN.I

Hi folks, newbie on here. Came across the thread while looking for more info. I'm a first time applicant from the south and as of now, I've been successful in my 2020 application, progressing ahead slowly.

I know there are more hurdles to come. As a young family person, I believe it's time to plan ahead, in case I pass the other stages and get the call, which is still a long shot away. Would be great if anyone could help with the below:

1. Would you advise renting and living close to your place of work?

2. Let's say I get placed in one of the Belfast stations. Which postcodes would you feel safe as an officer?

3. Apartment or house?

4. AC (for someone who's been through before) What type of scenario can we anticipate?

Responses which might give away privacy and be a security concern can be PM'd, of course.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭NeeNaw21

Hi folks, newbie on here. Came across the thread while looking for more info. I'm a first time applicant from the south and as of now, I've been successful in my 2020 application, progressing ahead slowly.

I know there are more hurdles to come. As a young family person, I believe it's time to plan ahead, in case I pass the other stages and get the call, which is still a long shot away. Would be great if anyone could help with the below:

1. Would you advise renting and living close to your place of work?

2. Let's say I get placed in one of the Belfast stations. Which postcodes would you feel safe as an officer?

3. Apartment or house?

4. AC (for someone who's been through before) What type of scenario can we anticipate?

Responses which might give away privacy and be a security concern can be PM'd, of course.

Thank you.

1. NI is a small place so define close? My commute to work is very short.

2. PM me

3. Whatever you want.

4. Can't give specifics we are all subject to an NDA

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭psnaye2023

Bump for 2021 campaign

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

How times have changed. And yet how they stay the same.

It used to be, back in the good old days. You only had the Loyalist paramilitaries or the Republican paramilitaries trying to kill you.

Now it seems that the Chief Constable's merry band of idiots at Headquarters are also trying to get you killed, by posting sensitive details about everyone possible on the interweb for Sammy up the Newtownards Road, or Seamus in South Armagh to read at their leisure.

The question I'd be asking is what precautions ought you to take, when senior officers are trying to get you killed? Looking under your car is unlikely to throw a spanner in the works of Simon 'special needs' Byrne. Any suggestions from the old salts, if there are any left?

Advertisement