Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ants

Options
  • 13-02-2008 7:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭

We had a problem with ants in our kitchen last year and did pretty much everything we could think of to get rid of them. Ant killer sprays,powder,gel etc. We blocked up any holes we could see and it seemed to solved the problem. Now we are seeing one or two again in the same places and I want to sort it quickly. Any ideas? Someone said look and see where they are going to and from. All very fine but to me it seems as though they are going every which way. Hubby says that they are living somewhere in the walls or under the floor but I really can't see that being possible-help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

You probably need to stop them before they get into the house. I assume they are normal household ants. Cleaning down the area also will help and stop them following the trail. Did you try any of the outdoor powders around the foundation of the house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

We used a small fortune in the stuff last year! Though that's a good point to stop them before they get in. We sealed up a few gaps around the foundations with some expanding foam stuff that hardens-No more Gaps I think it's called. It'll be Rentokil next if all else fails! Mind you a neighbour said they don't do a whole lot more than we've done already.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Dont do rentakill,waste of money. Get some boric acid,currently some for sale on ebay. Will kill ant's cockroaches etc.Comes in a powder,put it in the area's where you think the ants are coming from,down cracks or whatever,if kept dry,it will last as long as your house and still be affective.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭TheHamster

Had the same problem 2 years ago - used dog flea spray around the ants pathways and entrance / exit holes - not seen any since

Also sprayed accross door threasholds - keeps all sorts of little critters out
    Cheaper than rentokill too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

Great advice so thanks to all! I'm going to try some or all of those suggestions.I'll keep ye posted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Foleyart

We had a similar problem last year and I trawled the net looking for answers.I found one which worked a treat. Put some lavender oil in water and spray the areas where they are entering the house. aaah the swet smell of success!! My wife thought I was gone mad until she saw that it actually worked. Cheap, cheerful, and harmless.:D

Advertisement