Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Idiotic Boy Racers.

Options
  • 13-02-2008 7:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭

What is it with those idiotic boy racers? Driving around in clapped out crocks with ridiculous exhausts. Idiots driving around making noise. Do they think people are looking and saying "Wow, what a car!!"

Its funny sometimes when they come up behind you with the tops of their head barely above the dashboard monstering in a Punto, clapped out Civic or some such rubbish heap. Great to put down the boot and leave them behind!

Waterford is full of the idiots. Hear them for miles around. As bad as it is hearing them I guess its worse encountering them coming towards you on the road.

Why dont they spend the wasted money on decent cars that will outperform their scrapheaps by a factor of 1000.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 thecatempire

boy racers tend to be young boys, and cant get/afford insured on anything quick, due to the crazy insurance companies in ireland, so they buy the smaller engined cars and mod them. its simple really. just give them the finger when you see them, its gas watchin them go mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Their modding makes the insurance void anyway so why bother?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Like everything and everyone, people have their own hobbies and outlets in life and this should encouraged.

What I don't like is the over noisy exhausts and tearing down the roads at speed.

I say have your hobby but don't force it among other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

TheNog wrote: »
    Like everything and everyone, people have their own hobbies and outlets in life and this should encouraged.

What I don't like is the over noisy exhausts and tearing down the roads at speed.

I say have your hobby but don't force it among other people.

:rolleyes:
    Thats not a hobby thats a bloody disease.

Boy racers are muppets with there little 1 litres and little cherry banger exhuast out the back. Pointless. The day I get a car it won't be peice of sh!t like these and it won't have big exhuasts or japanese.

What do they actually get out of the loud sound, a buzz maybe?:confused:
    I asked one of them and they said it sounds deadly. A 1 litre reving, cule!
    Wonder did they ever hear an M3 roar or similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I don't have a problem with the whole hobby/outlet thing. I've no problem with people pimping out cars, ridiculous as they might look, but when they start intimidating other road users and waking people up at stupid hours with modified exhausts and illegal racing then thats crossing the line big time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

funniest thing i could think of is the fact that these loud exhausts and spoilers will attract every guard in the country to them which is something i dont think they want :confused:

even the sound alone is going to alert every guard within a few miles that theres one of them on the way. if they dont already have a tripod set up, they will have enough advanced alert to set it up in loads of time :D

not very stealthy IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭cyborg

.... Great to put down the boot and leave them behind!

That'll show them how stupid they look:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭skibum

cornbb wrote: »
    I don't have a problem with the whole hobby/outlet thing. I've no problem with people pimping out cars, ridiculous as they might look, but when they start intimidating other road users and waking people up at stupid hours with modified exhausts and illegal racing then thats crossing the line big time.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

Glad to see the open minded boardises have settled in for another night with the bucket of tar and a big brush. :rolleyes:

First off, not everyone in a modified car is a boy racer. I drive and love modified cars, and I hate the scumbag element as much, if not more then other people. They are a minority in what is a really large and growing vibrant modified car community in this country. I saw one person mention its a hobby, thats all it is really, though to some people it is a passion.

I'm not standing up for those that are reckless on the roads, or intimidate other drivers, but people driving all types of cars do that sort of behavior. You will notice that the muppets generally have poorly modified cars, overly loud exhausts, stickers etc. The real enthusiasts look after their cars well, don't buy cheap tat to stick onto it and take pride in their car. They are the ones crawling over speed bumps to protect their bodykits , not tearing around estates waking people up with stupid exhausts.

Don't bother coming on to a motoring forum and bashing people that really like their cars, it just shows you up as the small minded people ye are. If you were observant at all on the roads you would see countless modified cars each day being driven carefully by their owners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Lobster

cyborg wrote: »
    That'll show them how stupid they look:rolleyes:
    So who is worse?

I have no problem with those cars if they drive sensibly. A lot of people complain about their loud exhausts, but do they ever complain about the noise made by the likes of the M3, Astons or Ferrari's?

Done up corsa's are a bit much though:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

In the case of boy racers , add a few feathers to the tar & brush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

astraboy wrote: »
    Glad to see the open minded boardises have settled in for another night with the bucket of tar and a big brush. :rolleyes:

First off, not everyone in a modified car is a boy racer. I drive and love modified cars, and I hate the scumbag element as much, if not more then other people. They are a minority in what is a really large and growing vibrant modified car community in this country. I saw one person mention its a hobby, thats all it is really, though to some people it is a passion.

I'm not standing up for those that are reckless on the roads, or intimidate other drivers, but people driving all types of cars do that sort of behavior. You will notice that the muppets generally have poorly modified cars, overly loud exhausts, stickers etc. The real enthusiasts look after their cars well, don't buy cheap tat to stick onto it and take pride in their car. They are the ones crawling over speed bumps to protect their bodykits , not tearing around estates waking people up with stupid exhausts.

Don't bother coming on to a motoring forum and bashing people that really like their cars, it just shows you up as the small minded people ye are. If you were observant at all on the roads you would see countless modified cars each day being driven carefully by their owners.

I'm going to take a long-shot here and presume you have a modified Astra.
    Why modify an Astra? Why not just buy a better car in the first place car?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

jimbo78 wrote: »

If you have to ask you won't understand. Making your car stand out from all the others is the aim. Could be subtle things (which I would be more into)to full kits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Before someone jumps on the proverbial high horse, the skangers referred to herewith are not the car enthusiasts who just like to mod cars. These are immature fu<kwits with too much money and not enough sense. My sister was nearly run off the road in rural Kilkenny on sunday night. Some young idiots got their hands on an Impreza and tailgated her for about 2 km and whenever she slowed down to pull over (not very many places to do that on this particular road) they stopped dead on the road. They then overtook her on a bridge and pulled a doughnut on the other side and drove straight at her. She ended up in the ditch, but thankfully no damage or anything. Cops didnt do much, just said they'd get a car to patrol the road.

I hear these little knackers every night in the local retail park, doing kerbs and doughnuts in their crappy little spaceship corsa's and punto's. Cops wont do anything about it as its private property, and not public roads where they're generally fu<king around.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

I don't have a problem with anyone making their car, doing mods etc to it, as long as they don't act the maggot on the roads.

I myself put alloys on my car to make it look nicer and respect lots of other people who spend time modifying their own cars.

@ astraboy,
    I'd love to see a few pics of your car, i have an astra myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

astraboy has an Alfa 156.

The current and previous generation Astras were considered very good cars in the press(especially the current one, which I can verify to being good), so I don't see what is so bad about them.

Anyhoo, back on topic. Some people like modding cars, some people don't, I'd much rather see people be interested in cars and driving around the place in a modified car than being on drugs(and I don't mean the metaphorical sense), being completely pissed or just acting the langor.

Of course there are fools who have more money than sense and act the retard on the road, but most people while yes they go a bit faster than most on the whole actually believe it or not do like cars. If you look at dtdirl or midnightclub you will see that many people, while they certainly talk up cars that I've never heard of like wtf is an S14, the only S14 in my mind is the E30 M3 engine, or cars that at the end of the day are some sort of domestic appliance like a Glanza, which is just a Starlet with more power as far as I'm concerned, they certainly know what they are talking about, and definately are car enthusiasts as far as I'm concerned. I know people who have modified cars, and yes they like to use the available power from time to time to the max:D, they adore their cars and will never be seen with a dirty car or even the slightest scratch i.e. they care about them.

Just cause someone finds a car good(or even mine for that matter) that you don't doesn't mean they're wrong.

A lot of us seem to "forget" that cars are a matter of preference,its an opinion, one we're perfectly entitled to but that's all it is, just an opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Garda_boss

A lot of them are only driving crap/small cars because of sexist, ageist and illegal insurance policies.

Don't like generalisations.

Very true. Those who look after their cars have nice cars. Although I am not into stickers or over doing it but I always comment to the driver on the nice cars.

Agreed

That is very true. You would also see a hell of a lot more non-modified cars being driven dangerously. However it is the stupid boy racers who will pull a doughnut on the road or carpark.

I don't have nor have ever had a modified car but I do know that it is not about improving their cars but more of putting their own stamp on them. Kinda like a blank canvas type thing. Same as you or I would do if/when we buy our own house.

Suppose that most will spend alot of time working on their cars and take pride in the work they do. Have to respect that.

Nightwish wrote: »
    Cops didnt do much, just said they'd get a car to patrol the road.

If your sister didn't get a reg no or is not willing to make a complaint then there is not much the cops can do but patrol the area. Unless they catch them in the act (which can be a remote chance) or someone is willing to make a complaint the little s**tbags will get away with it.
    Nightwish wrote: »
    I hear these little knackers every night in the local retail park, doing kerbs and doughnuts in their crappy little spaceship corsa's and punto's. Cops wont do anything about it as its private property, and not public roads where they're generally fu<king around.

Again same as above. Don't know about the private property though. If they do it when the shops are open it is public property but if the shops are closed I suppose it is private property.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

I drive around quite alot from day to day and i see more BMW/Merc/Audis being driven by middle aged people breaking general driving laws then i do modified corsas/civics/puntos etc.

If someone drives by with a big loud exhaust, i don't let it effect my life in the same way some of you do. I don't like them...but they don't annoy me to the extent that people on here are going on about!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

E92 wrote: »
    wtf is an S14

The Nissan 200SX model that went from 1992 - 1999. (approx!). Or, alongside the E36 if you will! The most popular would be the one with the 2 litre turbo engine, I think roughly 200bhp or maybe a little more. It was preceded by the S13 which had the pop up headlights, that was 1.8 turbo with approx 180bhp, and suceeded by the S15 model which was only available in Japan and Oz, (maybe US), and has 2 litre turbo with approx 250bhp. They're the car of choice these days because of the FR layout, and drifting is the motorsport of choice for many of these guys!
    There's various Jap import variations of the 200SX, like a 180SX and a Silvia, I'm not overly familiar with the Jap variants for each model.
    Glanza's are crap though! :D A Glanza turbo is just slightly faster crap!

There's a big difference between an enthusiast and a boy racer. A boy racer is a scobe who buys a badly modified car from some other scobe and thinks he's the man. An enthusiast either buys the car standard and modifys properly, or buys a properly modded one and individualises it further. Not into the whole modded scene myself, but admire the work and individualism of a lot of the cars that result from the scene. Worth remembering that a modded car with a slightly louder exhaust doesn't = a boy racer necessarily.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

What is it with those idiotic boy racers? Driving around in clapped out crocks with ridiculous exhausts. Idiots driving around making noise. Do they think people are looking and saying "Wow, what a car!!"

Its funny sometimes when they come up behind you with the tops of their head barely above the dashboard monstering in a Punto, clapped out Civic or some such rubbish heap. Great to put down the boot and leave them behind!

Waterford is full of the idiots. Hear them for miles around. As bad as it is hearing them I guess its worse encountering them coming towards you on the road.

Why dont they spend the wasted money on decent cars that will outperform their scrapheaps by a factor of 1000.

not again, move on and get over it.
    theres more things to worry about in life then your small minded opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Again the OP goes on about boy racers and car modifiers and see's no differance which to us is equally as annoying as scum bags are to him. I spend two years doing up my del sol and i'm pretty proud of how she looks now. I love getting her out to mondello park when i can during the year, yes she has an exhaust system but i do not tear my car around on public roads looking for races. I drive safe and take care of my car.

I love getting comments off people and to be honest I notice alot of the people that tear off at lights are either scumbags or middle aged men thinking they've something to prove to me and I don't follow.

"I love putting the foot down and leaving them behind" - OP

During the summer I plan on getting a Toyota Supra if again I can insure it and do you think after spending so much money on it i'd ever risk crashing it or ragging it- no I wouldn't and i wouldnt entertain anyone on a public road regardless of who they are or what they drive, keep it to the track.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Great to put down the boot and leave them behind!
    You have become what you hate. A boy racer. The above quote is what boy racers do. You are a boy racer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

I dont have a problem with decent cars being modified (Mitsubishi Evo's etc). The owners of those cars generally do drive pretty responsibly and I dont have any problem at all with the them. Its the idiots with mickey mouse pieces of crap that I have a problem with. I drive 80 miles a day from Waterford to Wexford and back. These idiots come so close to the back of my car that you can see the whites of their eyes. They then proceed to overtake into oncoming traffic without the power, experience or responsibility to overtake safely. It's the person coming the other way who will pay the price!

I dont want it to be one of my family or friends.

I'm not perfect. Nobody is. However, I do try to be responsible on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

the_syco wrote: »
    You have become what you hate. A boy racer. The above quote is what boy racers do. You are a boy racer.

:D:D Its funny cos it's true.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I was in Letterkenny 2 years ago at a red traffic light with a done up Clio beside me revving his engine as if he wanted to take me on. (Not a V6 or 172, probably a 1 litre) Thing is, it was wet and I drive a RWD car. Even under moderate acceleration he was left standing. Probably not helped by the set of crap Nankang NS-1s on the front. Wheel spin was everywhere. Loser.

I have to say that I rarely see done up cars acting the maggot.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

What really makes me laugh about them is that they actually think that they look class in their punto's/corsa's etc I saw some chap driving around the town in a bright orange corsa, with the windows fully tinted sound system up to the last and the windows near falling out with the bass!! He looked like a right fool! all the add on's really slow down the car which probably max's 79bhp!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

the_syco wrote: »

Thanks.:eek:

I drive an Accord and if an idiot comes up behind me in a climbing lane and starts monstering me I simply put a bit of space between the cars so that the idiot wont run into the back of me. Doesn't mean that I have to drive like a maniac to do so. If they want to overtake in the outside lane thats fine. Just shouldn't monster other drivers in their toy cars.

Advertisement