Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Idiotic Boy Racers.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Katie_Kiss

Biro wrote: »
    Twin cams with a janspeed aren't all that loud, not all that powerful either though!

yea a bog standard one, but plenty can be done to the engine to liven it up! its kinda obvious i didnt go for a powerful car, i could get a skyline or a scooby or alot of other cars instead of the two ive got.

ninty9er wrote: »
    Nope, but revving the **** out of a twin-cam in a housing estate at 1 in the morning would qualify. It's not how good or bad it souds, it's how loud it is.

well thats pretty obvious like, i thought we were talking about cars with loud exhaust when they are being driven. obviously if you rev the crap outta any car regardless on whether its a twin cam or not - its going to be uncalled for noise!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Typical FF!

1/. Do something wrong.
    2/. Wriggle like mad trying to somehow justify it, but failing.

+1

:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Katie_Kiss wrote: »
    yea a bog standard one, but plenty can be done to the engine to liven it up! its kinda obvious i didnt go for a powerful car, i could get a skyline or a scooby or alot of other cars instead of the two ive got.

I know. I just don't like twin cams, mainly because they're so over rated, and a few bad experiences with the drivers of them. They were a great car in their day, and are good fun now, but not even close to being worth anything over €2,000, let alone the silly money that they're actually getting.
    I like the E30 325 though, that's nice. I wouldn't have lowered it as much as 60mm, but each to their own.
    You'd hardly be able to insure an Impreza Turbo or GTR Skyline at 21?

i was looking at e46 m3's there recently, was thinking about selling the other two and i got quoted 1700 fully comp in my own name and all. an m3 my not a have a turbo but if i badly wanted to get insured on one of the above cars is very possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

I don't mean to insult anyone but I wouldn't be seen dead in a car with mad wings, bumpers and a back box. I wouldn't want people thinking that I was a boy racer.

I am a car nut tho and if anyone wants to uprate the performance of their car then fair play, personally I prefer to just buy a faster car in the first place and save myself the trouble. I would stretch to a nice set of alloys however.

The amount of crappy cars that want a race is ridiculous, how many of us have passed by an evo/scooby/civic/Glanza/Altezza at a set of lights and had him up your chuff a minute later just because you drive a nice looking car! In fairness, in my experience the GTR boys don't seem bothered but this is probably because they get the same sort of attention themselves.

i was looking at e46 m3's there recently, was thinking about selling the other two and i got quoted 1700 fully comp in my own name and all. an m3 my not a have a turbo but if i badly wanted to get insured on one of the above cars is very possible.

I'm amazed at that. No way a 21 year old fella could insure one! Discrimination I tells ya!
    E46 M3's are big money though... €35,000 at least for a decent one. Then there's the running costs... I thought you were a student! :D

i can see what your saying. i would like to pick up on the fact that ''personally i prefer to just buy a faster car in the first place and save myself the trouble''. can you see how some people might enjoy ''the trouble'' though? like i love spending saturday evenings working on the car. some girls go out shopping spending 100's on clothes i spend 100's on parts to improve cars - just different people like different things. sorry im ranting now - i think we all know what im tring to say.

just like to point out my car doesnt have wings or anything like that, my cars are standard from when they came outta the factory (original paint and all) - with the addition of a few little things like alloys, lowering kit etc.

Biro wrote: »
    I'm amazed at that. No way a 21 year old fella could insure one! Discrimination I tells ya!
    E46 M3's are big money though... €35,000 at least for a decent one. Then there's the running costs... I thought you were a student! :D

lol - I AM!!! and as for the insurance its great not to have dangly bits!!! in fairness i was shocked myself at the quote had to check it about 4 or 5 times. i think im going to hold onto the classic's tho, with the new vrt co2 emissions coming in - i might get a better price if i sell nxt yr.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I think a lot of it can be explained by appreciating the difference between these two photos...both are modified motors. However they are at vastly different ends of the spectrum that the term spans.

734f7dbf83bc1c5037b0a75df38486aa.jpg

Nissan%20Skyline%20R34%20GTR.jpg

My point is that we all hate the scummers in their sheds tearing around estates, but there are people out there who enjoy tuning their cars to the limit who get tainted by the scummers reckless antics.

• Advertisement

x1

lol - I AM!!! and as for the insurance its great not to have dangly bits!!! in fairness i was shocked myself at the quote had to check it about 4 or 5 times. i think im going to hold onto the classic's tho, with the new vrt co2 emissions coming in - i might get a better price if i sell nxt yr.

Probably a good idea, although if you want my advise, I have a feeling that the Twin Cams have reached the pinnicle of their worth. Maybe there's a grand or so more to come, but that's it. The K30 hasn't really appreciated. However, on the other hand, if you still have all the original parts for the 325 sport, and you look after it, then that'll be the car to keep for about 10 years or so. They're being destroyed these days all over the country by knackers in them thinking they're drift experts, so the days of good E30 325 sports are numbered. A good clean oringinal one will be worth a few bob in years to come.
    If I were you, I'd sell the AE86 next year, but something else for daily driving with that money, and keep the E30 maintained to it's original spec and a high level for years to come! I reckon you might thank me in 10 years! :D

yea - sorry i didnt specify that it was the e30 that i think will go up in value. she is mint! thats all i can say. and she is well taken cared of - the fact the i can hop into a twin cam means i wouldnt even dream of diffing or drifting her. she is polished every 2weeks and only driven at the wkd....107k on the clock :) she is a fine fine example i am proud to say.

ill save this page and in 10 yrs ill let u no how im getting on :p

(off topic - are my arguements/comments coming across well? some people on get angry and start making up stuff and start to lose there arguements - not naming names)

ill save this page and in 10 yrs ill let u no how im getting on :p

Do, and you'll have to give me a spin in your E92 M3 as a reward for my wisdom! :)
    (off topic - are my arguements/comments coming across well? some people on get angry and start making up stuff and start to lose there arguements - not naming names)
    Ya, you seem well reasoned for a lawyer!

Like I said, I am a car nut - Im an engineer and I service/maintain my own car rather than let some dimwit in a dealership screw it up. So I like to get my hands dirty. Im just saying that I would rather buy a more powerful standard car than modify a smaller engined car.

I would buy that R34 (or a 325 sport for that matter) in a second but I would leave it totally standard. That way those cars will last forever and be way more driveable in comparison to modded cars. Its just a personnal choice thats all, and like I said I don't have a problem with people enhancing the capabilities of their car.

no comment - on the lawyer statement :p

awww a e92 yummy - uve a deal as long as its white :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Once you hit 21 you can pretty much insure anything with the right money and effort, where there's a will there's a way. Also found being well spoken on the phone to them helps if you sound and act like a scumbag they will treat you like one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

I didnt read all of the pages as there are so many but i can understand where alot of people are coming from. What i dont understand and dont like is being branded a boy racer purely on the car you drive.

I for example have a Honda Integra Type R, €24000+ car in from Japan. This does NOT have an exhaust or any mods done to it. I bought it because i love cars and i love Japaneese cars. I love engines etc, to me it is the best hobby i could ever have.

I am 26 years old and i really hate being branded a boy racer when my car may look like one but it is clearly not. People are SO fast to point the finger and blame but how can they do that to me, when they dont even know me?

I agree with what people are saying about the 1.0 and 1.1 litre cars on the road, with crazy body kits and mad mods done to them but these are most likely under the age of 19.

If you are really into cars then you will go and buy a real car. I just feel that we are all being branded under the same social stance when infact many of the people driving the HIGH end cars are all mature and have bought the car for the love of it and NOT to make a statement.

I treat my car like a baby, and i would never do anything to endanger the car or myself and also the other people on the roads. I am too afraid to after all the money i spent on actually getting the car in the first place....

Comments please.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

i think a fair point is that not all of these people actually save their asses off and pay for the car, the insurance and tax themselves;)

i know some fella who has gone through 3 TypeR engines, and a altezza,
    daddy picks up the tab.
    i know the lads who actually know how hard it was to save up for the car treat it with respect.

easy come easy go.:D

that gobsh!te in the BMW M5 in the states springs to mind.
    wrapped his head around a tree. on a straight airstrip:confused::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

kona wrote: »
    youre a bit of a hypocrit,

your the one racing if you put the boot down and go??:mad:
    just out of curiosity what do you drive??? feckin diesel vectra or somthing crap. if they put the boot down too they would leave you:D

cheaper bhp/ton from V-tec, Mivec and VVti that your 4/6pot grandad wagon.
    and they are cheap to mod
    180bhp in a car like a civic is alot of power.

then insurance wont touch them on anything over 2l too.

but what i really like is blowing the crap out of some middle aged gob****e in a mid life crisis in him BMW 3 series, trying to undertake me before he gets to the bus lane.
    i dropped the throttle and left one today........in a mini, i laughed in his face...gob****e. incidentally i wouldnt have done it only i knew what he was doing and it pisses me off.

The point is that 180bhp in a shopping car like a civic is what makes them dangerous. Btw I very much doubt that any vtec, mivec would blow a modern diesel away.I drive an mx5 and I also had a primera diesel and I know if I had to make a life or death overtaking manovure I'd want a diesel under the bonnet every time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

groupb wrote: »
    The point is that 180bhp in a shopping car like a civic is what makes them dangerous. Btw I very much doubt that any vtec, mivec would blow a modern diesel away.I drive an mx5 and I also had a primera diesel and I know if I had to make a life or death overtaking manovure I'd want a diesel under the bonnet every time.

just drop a gear in petrol and floor it, petrol will savage a diesel any day of the week, you just need to know ho to use it, diesel have more low down torque but a properly driven decent petrol engine will destroy a diesel.

180bhp in a civic isnt dangerous, its how you use it, you clearly havnt drievn a v-tec, its a grandad mobile before the v-tec kicks in, go over 4,800 and goodnight irene, smelly diesel is left standing, thats when the fun begins.

why does every person who drives a diesel think its faster than everything??? the reason you have a turbo is because N/A a diesel sucks!
    if diesels were so dam fast petrol engines wouldnt exist except on 2 stroke scooters and lawnmowers:D

Don't want to be a ****er but:

http://www.audi.com/audi/com/en2/experience/motorsport_events/Audi_R10_TDI/Audi_at_Le_Mans.html

Diesels feel faster because they have more torque low down in the rev range. They have more torque generally due to the fact that they have more rotational mass in the engine. They traditionally don't rev as high as petrols and their power tails off higher in the rev range. Speed in both petrol and diesel depends a lot on the driving style of the owner too. Realistically a 2000cc Turbo petrol is still going to be more powerful the equivalent diesel, but it might not feel that much faster.

"Horsepower sells cars but torque wins races" - Carol Shelby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Ferris wrote: »
    "Horsepower sells cars but torque wins races" - Carol Shelby

Seconded - your peak BHP (which is the figure that you'll read) is just that - a peak. On most cars - and particularly in highly tuned cars - the power graph is shaped like an upside down V with a climb in HP with rising revs and a sharp drop off once you pass that peak. A torque curve on the other hand is generally much flatter meaning that a much greater percentage of your maximum torque is available right across the rev range.

Now these are HUGE generalisations but disel engines tend to have fatter and flatter torque curves than equivalent capacity petrol engines. See petrol
    2544_8mg.jpg
    and diesel
    powertdi.jpg

(ignore the numbers, the engines are different sizes, it's the shape that's important).

Torque is what pushes the car, gives you acceleration - peak power will (again vast generalisation) give you top end speed but torque gives you speed through the gears

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭conneem-TT

But you have to take into account how high reving the petrol engine is compared to the diesel, as you can see here http://vettenet.org/torquehp.html

Especially the Vtec in that Civic which has a particularly high red line and therefore can perform quite well with very little torque.

It does depend on driving style though. I'd say alot more diesels are whipped up near the red line alot more often than petrol cars, as they are quieter, have shorter gear ratio's and are not as frantic so the driver doesn't really notice it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

But also remember that ANY BHP a company advertises is the BHP at the Fly and NOT the BHP at the wheels.

If you are 4WD then you will loose alot from the Fly to the Wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭conneem-TT

Here's a good site that has hundreds of standardised power tests on cars, and has no affiliation with any make.

It compares manufacturers stated eninge performance to actual wheel hp.

www.rri.se/index.php?DN=29

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭jayj224

It doesn matter what size the engine if you drive like a taxi driver and go through your gears to quick you'll go no where fast:D

I disagree with this. A 1.6 VTi civic will comfortably beat a 2.0 TDi VAG car, and will probably beat a 320d. This is from standing starts.
    Every day usage, the Turbo diesels are quicker from much less effort, but ultimately a petrol with similar power will be quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Im not so sure. It really depends what petrol and diesel you are comparing, but I have found diesels a confusing beast when overtaking. They can pull strongly low down, and as the revs rise it dies a death while overtaking, leaving you to second guess if its better to stay in the same gear or to change up to get the engine into the torque sweetspot, but ultimately knacker that benefit by being in a higher gear. At least with petrol, its basically, the higher the revs the bigger the pull.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Ferris wrote: »
    They have more torque generally due to the fact that they have more rotational mass in the engine.

Are you sure about this? I though it was because of the slower burning nature of diesel fuel + larger bang for the buck than petrol + turbo for extra umph.

Advertisement