Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Idiotic Boy Racers.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    Are you sure about this? I though it was because of the slower burning nature of diesel fuel + larger bang for the buck than petrol + turbo for extra umph.

How do you mean? A non-Turbo diesel is chronic slow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Biro wrote: »
    I disagree with this. A 1.6 VTi civic will comfortably beat a 2.0 TDi VAG car, and will probably beat a 320d. This is from standing starts.
    Every day usage, the Turbo diesels are quicker from much less effort, but ultimately a petrol with similar power will be quicker.
    I for one have beaten vtec civics and is200 with a tdi golf(150), nothin better than makiin a show of a petrol yoke with a big baw baw exhaust with a dirty old diesel!! There was hills involved, ya have to pick your battles!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

You've bragged about this a few times on a couple of different threads. Has it occured to you that they may not have been trying to race you?

As an example I was coming up to a roundabout in 3rd in a sportscar a while back, I slowed but when I saw it was clear I coasted out and - rather than drop down a gear and accelerate around it - I just stayed in 3rd and let the engine play catch up, pulling up from very low revs. Some bewinged japanese car with a daft exhaust burst around the outside, cut me up and raced off with it's poor little engine buzzing like a demented mosquito. No doubt later on he logged onto www.ricemotorsrock.com and bummed about burning up my car and sure nothing beats a good (insert alphabet soup here). The point I'm trying to make is that your diesel golf accelerating up a hill faster than another car doesn't prove that the diesel golf is in any way a quick car (just checked the data, 0 - 100kph in 8.2 seconds, fairly average; a 1990 petrol GTi would hit 60mph in just over 7.5 seconds)

Back vaguely OT and it's impossible to answer the "faster car diesel or petrol" argument because speed and acceleration are as much to do with gearing as anything else. A lower powered car with the right gears could outsprint a more powerful car with longer ratios.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

A TDI 150 Golf is lighter than an IS200 AFAIK, no wonder it won(and the IS200 has around 155 bhp)

As for Audi winning Le Mans, well if you get the rules changed specially for you is now called fair, then I give up but the rules for LeMans were changed at the behest of Audi so that they could race a diesel and have an unfair advantage.

And it may well have 650 bhp, or 118 bhp per litre, but come on, that only has to last 24 hrs and that's it, and is assisted by 2 turbos, a Honda S2000 has no turbos and has to last the lifetime of a car and still manages the same bhp per litre as the Audi.

Audis own TT-S is a case in point actually, before that petrol engine made it to road going production, it had to withstand being revved at full whack for no less than 3 weeks continuously(the standard VAG reliability test before it can be let into production) and last the lifetime of a car, yet it has 140 bhp per litre(with 280 bhp from it's 2.0 turbo) unlike the diesel R10 with an engine only designed for a 24 hour race and 118.5 bhp.

So basically if petrol engines were tuned up as much as diesels are these days and got turbos of identical size and boost, they would still destroy a diesel on power(and probably torque too) in their sleep.

After all, the reason why petrol engines only have the same amount of power as their diesel counterparts these days is because of the fact that the overwhelming majority of petrol engines still don't have forced induction, while diesels have massive turbos, and increasingly, 2 turbos.

VTEC isn't just variable valve timing(neither is MIVEC), like VANOS, VVTi etc. is. It's variable lift too, and the change in camshaft profiling and engine sound at around 5500 rpm for twin cam engines with VTEC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

How do you mean? A non-Turbo diesel is chronic slow.

Agreed. I never heard that diesels had more torque due to more rotational mass in the engine, instead their low down grunt was due to the larger energy in diesel fuel vs petrol + the turbo to boost torque. I read the diesel is slower to combust and so is really only really potent at low revs.

Power~(TorqueX rotational speed in rpm)/5252 using bhp and lb ft, using Watts for power, Newton metres for torque and s^-1(revs per second) for rotational speed or the SI system, the exact formula is Power = (Torque)(2Pi)(rotational speed), using kW for Power and rpm(or min^-1 is the correct scientific unit), we get Power=(Torque)(2Pi)(rotational speed)/60,000.

They are very much related, the SI unit of power is Watts which is Newton metres(Joules are Newton metres) per second, torque is Newton metres, so power is torque per second in the base units.

Re: diesel torque, read this thread and more importantly read what JHMEG had to say, it makes for very interesting reading, and to sum it up, if you're prepared to take a petrol close to the redline, it will easily keep up with a similar power diesel.

Diesels have all their power at low revs, petrols at high revs(massive generalisation I know), they need a completely different driving style, if you drive a petrol car the way a diesel should be driven, you're going to think the petrol is useless and vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

astraboy wrote: »
    Glad to see the open minded boardises have settled in for another night with the bucket of tar and a big brush. :rolleyes:

First off, not everyone in a modified car is a boy racer. I drive and love modified cars, and I hate the scumbag element as much, if not more then other people. They are a minority in what is a really large and growing vibrant modified car community in this country. I saw one person mention its a hobby, thats all it is really, though to some people it is a passion.

I'm not standing up for those that are reckless on the roads, or intimidate other drivers, but people driving all types of cars do that sort of behavior. You will notice that the muppets generally have poorly modified cars, overly loud exhausts, stickers etc. The real enthusiasts look after their cars well, don't buy cheap tat to stick onto it and take pride in their car. They are the ones crawling over speed bumps to protect their bodykits , not tearing around estates waking people up with stupid exhausts.

Don't bother coming on to a motoring forum and bashing people that really like their cars, it just shows you up as the small minded people ye are. If you were observant at all on the roads you would see countless modified cars each day being driven carefully by their owners.

another one of these threads, i wish people would just use the search facility and see this has been done to death, build a bridge, start a sticky this is just getting annoying, and some times i think people just join borads and start one of these threads just t get this kind of response

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

I drive through Tallaght every day and have to say- Mr Mid Life Crisis with the (probably) small penis and the BMW/Merc/Audi is just as likely to act the maggot on the road. Speeding up just as you're nearly done overtaking them because that's THEIR LANE and you can't go into it!!! Who cares if you're left driving on the wrong side of the road til you can get back in behind them :mad:

There's nothing wrong with buying stuff for your car, as long as you're not doing anyone else any harm why does it matter? Live and let live. If someone wants to buy a cheap car and do it up to make it really their own, rather than spend the money on a more expensive car that will look like everybody else's, then where's the harm?

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

Who said there is a harm in it? It's just funny thats all :rolleyes:

On the plus side, Atleast mr. midLife Crysis (?) has a car, that wouldn't crumble like a wafer going into my mouth. Oh, and not mentioning the fact that putting a 50 euro induction kit into a civic 1.6, doesn't make it 3 Litre twin turbo Supra, like alot of these lads seem to think it does! It just makes him look funnier.

Seriously though, I have nothing against car modding at all but its when these guys say " Whats wrong with doing it, its what we like, its my personal choice, I dont drive fast" and claim they don't act the maggot at 2 AM in the morning, is when it gets annoying because unfortunetly, these car modders do it.

• Advertisement

Who said there is a harm in it? It's just funny thats all :rolleyes:

On the plus side, Atleast mr. midLife Crysis (?) has a car, that wouldn't crumble like a wafer going into my mouth. Oh, and not mentioning the fact that putting a 50 euro induction kit into a civic 1.6, doesn't make it 3 Litre twin turbo Supra! It just makes him look funnier.

Seriously though, I have nothing against car modding but its when these guys say " Whats wrong with doing it, its what we like, its my personal choice " and claim they don't act the maggot at 2 AM in the morning, is when it gets annoying because unfortunetly, these car modders do it.

Hate to say it but it's their business what they drive and not yours...

Unless you have met every car modder in this country and seen them acting the maggot at 2AM, then that is a very narrow minded statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

LuckyStar wrote: »
    Hate to say it but it's their business what they drive and not yours...

Unless you have met every car modder in this country and seen them acting the maggot at 2AM, then that is a very narrow minded statement.

Well, when you see these lads pulling up beside you, thinking they are the cheese reving their car trying to impress you, you can do nothing but giggle.

No I havn't met every car modder, havn't got around to it yet, but anyhow I think you don't under stand me at all. I have nothing against modding cars, infact I was big into it once and still am (without the giant exhausts, enough to run 5 lorrys off etc.. )

Personally, I don't find it very narrow minded what I said, but how often do you see groups of cars (completly standard, not tarted up.. ) doing hand-breakers / donuts in car parks or organising big groups to do it? Thats where I draw the line and unfortuntly I am going to call these "crew" muppets.

It's safe to say there is a large portion of car modders that are just muppets.

I do have to agree with you there, one day recently there was a pile up on the M50 and the traffic was mental. I was at a roundabout in Clondalkin- the one that leads onto the Tower Rd. Both lanes at the roundabout were at a standstill and those in the roundabout were hardly moving. There was a young lad beside me in a souped-up Peugeot 206, revving away, like we were actually going somewhere sometime soon!!! That was funny. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭IncredibleHulk

Does anyone know if the cops have the power to do anything? Does the noise constitute a nuisance and is it illegal?

There's nothing wrong with buying stuff for your car, as long as you're not doing anyone else any harm why does it matter?
    LuckyStar, is there any harm in your view of driving dangerously and making noise? I am not saying all car mod people dop it but is it something you would advocate?

LuckyStar, is there any harm in your view of driving dangerously and making noise? I am not saying all car mod people dop it but is it something you would advocate?

When did I say I advocate driving dangerously and making noise? Have you tried actually reading my posts? I mean they are written in plain English. :rolleyes:
    LuckyStar wrote:
    If someone wants to buy a cheap car and do it up to make it really their own, rather than spend the money on a more expensive car that will look like everybody else's, then where's the harm?. As long as you're not doing anyone else any harm why does it matter?

Now you tell me where I said that I agree with people driving dangerously. I'd love to know. :cool:

When did I say I advocate driving dangerously and making noise? Have you tried actually reading my posts? I mean they are written in plain English. :rolleyes:

Now you tell me where I said that I agree with people driving dangerously. I'd love to know. :cool:

Have you read mine? I asked a question I did not say you did. I am trying to ascertain if someone who appears to be pro car mod accept the noise is not on?

Have you read mine? I asked a question I did not say you did. I am trying to ascertain if someone who appears to bes pro car mod accept the noise is not on?

Yes I accept the noise is not on. Hope that answers your question.

Yes I accept the noise is not on. Hope that answers your question.
    OK Thanks I wasn't sure if your
    As long as you're not doing anyone else any harm why does it matter? included the noise. I do not care if anyone mods their car or what it looks like but they will not make noise where I am

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

The worst every boy racer POS i ever saw was a mid nineties Civic that an idiot use to deliver pizzas from our local. It had the usual stupid crap spoilers/wheels/exhaust, but also had a dodgy yellow respray on the outside. Not too different sounding to the rest of the skanger me bangers out there, but what really took the biscuit was that he had stripped all of the inside, and painted the inside bodywork a horrible red, with 2 bucket seats. F*uckin muppet, did he think he was Micheal Schumacher and he was saving weight or something stupid like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Timmaay wrote: »
    The worst every boy racer POS i ever saw was a mid nineties Civic that an idiot use to deliver pizzas from our local. It had the usual stupid crap spoilers/wheels/exhaust, but also had a dodgy yellow respray on the outside. Not too different sounding to the rest of the skanger me bangers out there, but what really took the biscuit was that he had stripped all of the inside, and painted the inside bodywork a horrible red, with 2 bucket seats. F*uckin muppet, did he think he was Micheal Schumacher and he was saving weight or something stupid like that.
    He probably did! You've just got to laugh:D. Waterford is full of them. Revving at traffic lights and almost all driving mickey mouse crocks.

slideways wrote: »
    I for one have beaten vtec civics and is200 with a tdi golf(150), nothin better than makiin a show of a petrol yoke with a big baw baw exhaust with a dirty old diesel!! There was hills involved, ya have to pick your battles!

Just like there are different TDi Golfs, there are different V-tec Civics. A 1.6 Civic type R would destroy your Golf, hill or no hill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

A 1.6 Civic type R would destroy your Golf, hill or no hill.

It's all just willy waving, at the end of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

It's all just willy waving, at the end of the day.

Well said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Just like there are different TDi Golfs, there are different V-tec Civics. A 1.6 Civic type R would destroy your Golf, hill or no hill.
    Its the fact you even say that, prooves the point exactly. They're just boy racers at the end of the day.

Someone who buys a Golf GT TDI(150) buys if for a different reason then one who buys a 1.6 Type R, and it most certainly isn't to go racing Type R's.

HungryJoey wrote: »
    Its the fact you even say that, prooves the point exactly. They're just boy racers at the end of the day.

Someone who buys a Golf GT TDI(150) buys if for a different reason then one who buys a 1.6 Type R, and it most certainly isn't to go racing Type R's.

It proves no point. I'm just sick to the teeth listening to TDi drivers spout pure and utter crap about the abilities of their wonder wagon. Same boat as all those TDi A4 gobsh1tes with RS4 badges. The lot of them wouldn't know real power if they were subjected to it.

From the evidence of one GT-TDi driver on here, it is exactly to go racing Type R's and V-tecs and IS200's too!

OK Thanks I wasn't sure if your
    As long as you're not doing anyone else any harm why does it matter? included the noise. I do not care if anyone mods their car or what it looks like but they will not make noise where I am

Coola boola. You had me very confused there for a second :p

No I'm not into the noise at all. I remember when I had literally only had 2 lessons my mam took me down to the local car park one night so I could practise starting and stopping. Couldn't get anything done with the bitch of a girl racer zooming around in circles and deliberately trying to intimidate me! (Staring etc).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 NismoR32

Dont get me started about boy racers, one lunatic crashed into me and then had the cheek to try claim my insurance.

cant stand them!

Advertisement