Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kubuntu - "No room left on device"

• 13-02-2008 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭

Hard drive full.

I keep running into this error even though I've deleted loads of stuff. For example last night I had half a gig free. This evening when I came home I'd no space left.

I've tried "apt-get clean" amongst other things to no avail.

I've an external hard drive attached and have deleted everything from .trash as well.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
    Mark.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

Run jdiskreport to find out what's eating all the space,

http://www.jgoodies.com/freeware/jdiskreport/

Nice visual way scan your disk. Click web start.
    Don't think you'll need root priviledges but you can download and sudo if required as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭markyboy

Thanks for the quick reply Dorsanty.

Nice and handy gadget.

I'd installed Miro at the weekend and it was busy filling my hard disk in the background.

Regards,
    Mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

tut tut

Does that mean your post should read, "Out of space but all I did was subscribe to lots of video podcasts and a few HD ones too"? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

markyboy wrote: »
    Nice and handy gadget.

+1

Gnome has a good built in one, but a java web start version is useful everywhere you go. Likey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Dero

Khannie wrote: »
    Gnome has a good built in one.

Well Holy God sez Miley! I never knew such a thing existed (well, I knew the menu entry was there, but I never investigated it). I normally just use df/du & find, but then I do a lot of such PD on remote Unix systems with no gui so I'm used to doing it that way anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Just a quick FYI, ext3 reserves 5% for root for instances where the drives fill up, allowing logging to continue/cron to run, etc.
    The 5% can add up on a large drive with a large slice. It's always a nice idea to stick /home and it's own.
    You can mkfs without it, which I normally do on different slices not containing /, /var and so on. For your Video and mp3 slice it's fine to disable the reservation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

Just a quick FYI, ext3 reserves 5% for root for instances where the drives fill up, allowing logging to continue/cron to run, etc.
    The 5% can add up on a large drive with a large slice. It's always a nice idea to stick /home and it's own.
    You can mkfs without it, which I normally do on different slices not containing /, /var and so on. For your Video and mp3 slice it's fine to disable the reservation.
    I think you mean partitions. You're not using Slowarse now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭markyboy

I also noticed that Googlesync was creating big logfiles in Mozilla. That's gone now as well :)

Advertisement