Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mini-dv or hd camcorder ?

Options
  • 13-02-2008 8:27pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    am looking for a first camcorder.
    I have a friend going to New York next week, and has to goto B&H, so can pick me up one there.

It is my first camcorder so will be new to editing etc, and I will want to put converted (smaller size files) movies onto an XP media centre pc.
    so, based on these two, should I go for a mini-dv or hard drive based model.The Canon (fond of Canon - dslr etc) HG10 can be got for euro460 in the US, which is a big saving.

As a noob, hd or m-Dv ? or a cheaper model ?.
    would a cheaper m-dv canon like MD160 suffice for a year ? am I better off waiting for canon to refine the HG10 ?

any suggestions or opinions would be appreciated,

Thx
    Karl.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Bump, looking for the same thing myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Conar

I'm in the same boat.
    I need to order one by the end of the week and have a budget of up to €600.

I'm leaning towards the Sony DCR-SR190 at the moment, any opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Mini DV is good but it is starting to die out... hard drives and memory disks are the way forwards...

the best thing about hard drives is you can just plug and drop them on to yur computer... but with that it depends on the size of the hard drive to how much footage you can take... if your going on holidays for 2 weeks and not bring a laptop this might be an issue...

also if its a HD camera teh size of files is huge!!! about 100mb for 2-3 mins... so you will need a good computer to edit it all...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

so, since asking the question I have got the Canon HG10 - 40gb hard drive cam.
    A friend got it in NY for me last week - euro450 - instead of 850 odd here !!!

The file size will be big - but I intend to encode (yet to be investigated) the huga AVCHD or MTS files to a media pc compatible avi or similar.

but I decided on the HD based one as a lot of Cnet's reviews were stating "end of life" etc wrt minidv.

have a look at www.vimeo.com - where there are a lot of hd vids there.
    the ones of the hg10 are sooo-sweet in quality etc.

will let ye know how I get on with the encoding thing.

k

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

anto-t wrote: »
    if your going on holidays for 2 weeks and not bring a laptop this might be an issue...

was also thinking about this.
    a 120gb ext western digital hd is the best bet -euro80 odd.
    go into a web cafe and transfer them over.

just a thought.

k

• Advertisement
Advertisement