Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Power tapping in car...made easy

Options
  • 13-02-2008 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭

I brought a few of these off this guy and they work real well (see below)

push.jpgaaf4.gif

http://www.accessafuse.com/

I used one today, handy if your installing a car kit etc , power in seconds switched or unswitched.

I used those vampire taps and scotch taps and they were a pain in the arse and never really that reliable.

Just though i'd share the info.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Just to point out the obvious, but with this configuration, it means that to be correctly fused, the current should flow from the left terminal to right. Also you are potentially overloading the cable rating.

e.g. a 20A fuse, you could potentially draw upto 40A. Problem if cable isn't specced, cable melt, fire, brimstone, 4 horsemen, etc :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Read the site

The Access-A-Fuse is two fuses in one! It has an original 20amp circuit plus a 7.5amp fused accessory connection

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Which means the total current draw can be 27.5A through the single fuse. If the cable is specced for 20A you are exceeding specification by 37.5%. Most engineers will over spec a system but by how much will depend on the designer. So do you feel lucky? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

i see well i changed the wipers one to this and no problems as of yet. The ideqa is the tap isself is fused at 7.5 while it still maintains the 20 from the original. Obviosuly you wont't be using it on something that draws lots of power / high amp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

You're still potentially subjecting a 20A circuit to a 27.5A load... I for one wouldn't touch it.

Great sounding idea, but as with anything leccy - do it right.

• Advertisement
Advertisement