Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ahern Drunk in Dail (only 10% of Ireland doesn't have access to Broadband)

Options
  • 13-02-2008 8:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭

Okay the drunk part was a joke but he must have been on something in order to spout this rubbish and how fooked up was Kenny that he didn't laugh in his face slamming the governments incompetency. Probably doesn't know anything about the issue much like the rest of the government.
    rte wrote:

Broadband scheme to target no-access areas

Taoiseach Bertie Ahern told the Dáil this morning that the rollout of the National Broadband Scheme this Summer will target the last 10% or so of those who are without access to broadband.

Mr Ahern was answering questions from Fine Gael leader Enda Kenny on the rollout and its speed of access.

The Taoiseach acknowledged there is an issue about the speed of broadband services here but he also pointed out that broadband penetration here was around 18.4% per thousand population, compared to the OECD average of 18.8%.
    Advertisement

He said 'we're rapidly catching up after a slow start'

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0213/broadband.html?rss

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭pro_gnostic_8

That is extraordinary!!! Extraordinary too that nobody challenged this blatant untruth.
    10% meh b*****ks !
    If the leader of this country can spout such nonsense, then, I truly despair for the advancement of broadband penetration in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

He is including mobile broadband which isn't really broadband. This would be why his figure is so low.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭pro_gnostic_8

I dunno, ........... watching damien's clip there Bertie Ahern distinctly says ( at 3.02) that there remains only 10% in the country without access to broadband. Question I have is: is this "without access to MOBILE broadband" or without access to "regular" broadband? 'Cause he's definitely living in cloud-cuckoo if he thinks only 10% cannot get landline broadband.
    Him bringing MOBILE broadband into the debate is very disingenuous imho. Could someone inform our Taoiseach that Mobile is not a creditable alternative to Fixed-line or Cable.

18% take-up INCLUDING Mobile!
    FFS ......... and he's congratulating himself and his government for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

any of those "mobile" customers on pre-pay with three network only have a limited service with strict adult screening EVEN after age virification!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Question I have is: is this "without access to MOBILE broadband" or without access to "regular" broadband?

I believe he would be talking about the former which is a complete joke.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    any of those "mobile" customers on pre-pay with three network only have a limited service with strict adult screening EVEN after age virification!

I'd say he was only including the ones with the laptop card or the usb modem although I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

More like only 10% of people have good enough DSL for IPTV
    More like 20% to 35% can't get Broadband.

Ripwave and Mobile 3G/EDGE/HSDPA may be good value flat rate alternatives to Dialup, but they are not Broadband by speed or latency.
    Typically only 2 channel to 4 channel ISDN speed, which is called "Narrowband". Never mind the "up to" speed. That's for one person on the mast sector on their own.

2 way Satellite can give Broadband speeds, but not the low latency and it is x3 price.

Maybe only 50% of people can get high speed (> 2.5Mbps actual speed typically, not "upto") Broadband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I don't see the point of a national broadband scheme that doesn't even attempt to address the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

watty wrote: »
    More like only 10% of people have good enough DSL for IPTV
    More like 20% to 35% can't get Broadband.

Ripwave and Mobile 3G/EDGE/HSDPA may be good value flat rate alternatives to Dialup, but they are not Broadband by speed or latency.
    Typically only 2 channel to 4 channel ISDN speed, which is called "Narrowband". Never mind the "up to" speed. That's for one person on the mast sector on their own.

2 way Satellite can give Broadband speeds, but not the low latency and it is x3 price.

Maybe only 50% of people can get high speed (> 2.5Mbps actual speed typically, not "upto") Broadband.

Sounds 100% right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

When Bertie can't get the facts straight about his own affairs, how on earth can you expect him to have correct stats about broadband in this country? :rolleyes:

I have to admit I was surprised when I saw that 10% figure as well. Of course, it's easy to fool people who don't have a clue what they're talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭mrplop

It's not like Bertie to tell fibs is it?

As well as being a clueless muppet he makes Haughey look honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

I am in the UK! I have just watched Prime Time.

You in Ireland have serious problems with your goverment. They think everything is fine with Broadband. It would appear you are 6 years behind everyone else and are going to get stuck with a 1mb download speed. COMREG haven't a clue what is happening. Senator Shane Ross seems to be the only one who really knows and what the consequences will be.

The Irish goverment is as I left it over 20 years ago. Let someone else (usually the EU) come in and do / pay for it.

You have my sympathies!

Advertisement