Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recycling in Sligo

• 13-02-2008 9:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if one of the bin companies in Sligo recycles plastic as well as paper/cardboard? I'm feeling guilty about the huge amount of rubbish I'm getting rid of every week.....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

It is e2 a bag and they will take plastics.

Or go down to the recycling place (I don't know where, OH does it!) Duncans Island I think, and its e3 for a car load. I get rid of loads of stuff there,fire ashes, bits and pieces of rubbish. I recycle everything, and the wheelie bin only has to go every 2 or 3 weeks then. But God it stinks by then.

I also use Sligo Freecycle, its a great service. Like Jumbletown etc, but its all local. I got rid of some perfectly good stuff that was in the way and someone made use of it. You also automatically get an email from them when anything new is offered, which is cool.

http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/sligofreecycle/messages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

sueme wrote: »

Which company?

It depends which round you are on. Ask in your local shop, they will know, this is where you buy the bags. Barna Waste seem to cover most of the town though.

http://www.barnawaste.com/

They are based in Galway, but if you need to call them they will give you the mobile number of whoever has the van in this area.

Thanks Sueme. :( I'm with Barna waste - they won't take plastics. I'm on MCR, if anyone knows a company that'll cover here and will take plastic, that'd be great. If not, I guess I'll do a ring-around tomorrow.

Thanks.

Oh. I used to put plastics in their bags. There is (or was) a recycling bank down at the MCR Centre, probably just bottles though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭il gatto

I think when recycling collection was introduced, they got rid of the banks for plastics. Means you need to have more stuff taken from your house and pay handsomely for it. Chalk one up to big business and stealth taxes:mad:

The Recycling Place is great though, at 3 euro for a car load. And they open Saturday mornings which is handy.

I'll find out the name of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

The Recycling Place is great though, at 3 euro for a car load. And they open Saturday mornings which is handy.

I'll find out the name of it.

It's Greenstar - on Deep Water Quay.

Mmmm, Greenstar sounds good. And apparantly they only charge E1 for Abbott staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

fozzle wrote: »
    Mmmm, Greenstar sounds good. And apparantly they only charge E1 for Abbott staff.

They feel sorry for them!

• Advertisement

They feel sorry for them!
    Lol! Well then I should be glad that it's my fella and not me who works there! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Or go down to the recycling place (I don't know where, OH does it!) Duncans Island I think, and its e3 for a car load. I get rid of loads of stuff there,fire ashes, bits and pieces of rubbish. I recycle everything, and the wheelie bin only has to go every 2 or 3 weeks then. But God it stinks by then.

I also use Sligo Freecycle, its a great service. Like Jumbletown etc, but its all local. I got rid of some perfectly good stuff that was in the way and someone made use of it. You also automatically get an email from them when anything new is offered, which is cool.

http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/sligofreecycle/messages

I'm trying to join the freecycle group, they don't make it very easy though.

magnumlady wrote: »

It can take a bit of time alright, but once the Mod accepts you its plain sailing.

Welcome back Magnumlady, hope the move went well :)

Thanks Sueme still in the process of moving things.
    Hope the birthday went well, I had a big birthday at the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

Fozzle, I am on the MCR route too and have been recycling plastics with Barna Waste all along as I remembered a leaflet from them saying it was fine to do this. I emailed them to clarify what they will take in the clear plastic bags and this was the reply from them.

Thank you for your query re. domestic recycling. Barna Waste Recycling bags are available for purchase in the local shops. The following can be put into these bags Plastic bottles, cartons, food cartons tetra packs, beverage cans, food tins , cardboard, newspapers, magazines shredded paper. All must be clean and dry. While the wording on the recycle bags is Paper and Cardboard only - all of the above can actually be put into the recycle bags. Important to note that absolutely no glass or food is put into bags.

Regards,

Barna Waste

lubie76 wrote: »
    Fozzle, I am on the MCR route too and have been recycling plastics with Barna Waste all along as I remembered a leaflet from them saying it was fine to do this. I emailed them to clarify what they will take in the clear plastic bags and this was the reply from them.

Thank you for your query re. domestic recycling. Barna Waste Recycling bags are available for purchase in the local shops. The following can be put into these bags Plastic bottles, cartons, food cartons tetra packs, beverage cans, food tins , cardboard, newspapers, magazines shredded paper. All must be clean and dry. While the wording on the recycle bags is Paper and Cardboard only - all of the above can actually be put into the recycle bags. Important to note that absolutely no glass or food is put into bags.

Regards,

Barna Waste

Lubie, you are a star! Thanks neighbour!

magnumlady wrote: »

I got my application to join the yahoo group denied because the moderator didn't approve me within 14 days :(

Thats strange, he's usually on the ball. Maybe he's away. I'll email him and let him know.

Thanks Sue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

when you say plastic, do you mean stuff like soft drink bottles, we pop them in the barna recycling bags, they seem to take them no bother

;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement