Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Floor tiles for apartment hall, kitchen, bathroom

Options
  • 13-02-2008 9:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭

Hi all - I had a leak in my apartment recently which destroyed the wooden floor in the hall and carpet in a bedroom. I've decided to tile the hall and while I'm at it the kitchen and bathroom also as they need sprucing up. I'm going to keep it simple and use the same tile for all, so couple questions:

- What kind of tiles should I look for...ceramic / porcelain etc? They need to be hard-wearing and also have a polished finish, as the non polished ones I think tend to be harder to clean.

- Are tiles from B&Q, Homebase etc good quality, and are they generally cheaper than typical tile stores ?

Will be looking for approx 15 sq m of tiles, so if anyone knows of any good deals I'm all ears :)

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭aka_Ciaran

Anyone got any thoughts on this? I'll be starting to shop around for the floor tiles this week so would appreciate some advice...are Homebase/B&Q tiles good...should I get porcelain/ceramic and what's the difference...is it better to go for 30 cm or 40 cm size.....

Also in a bathroom should I lift the toilet and sink and tile under them, or just tile around them? Is it difficult to cut tiles to fit around a toilet? The toilet's about 12 years old and I'd be afraid it would crack if I try to raise it, and there's very little room in the pipe coming out the back, so not sure if it could be raised.

All advice appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

I have outside/inside tiles in my kitchen/ living area. Remember though if it happens that there is a leak again, guess what will happen? Up come the tiles!!! Anyway, that probably won't happen. Also a point to note, tiles will be MUCH colder than your wooden floor. There is some rubber tiles which are much warmer but then again, much more expensive. I would prefer them if I have to change!!! Me don't like floor tiles because eventually, one or two will crack and you will have to replace them!

I had to replace tiles in an en-suite recently and the tiler moved the toilet. Much easier to tile but make sure the level of the loo is put back as originally put in or you will have problems flushing it! If you know what I mean!!

Sorry to be so negative but I hate the COLDNESS of floor tiles in the winter! In any case go for good quality and any of the hardware stores will have them graded.

Advertisement