Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Flashing oil warning light

Options
  • 13-02-2008 9:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭

My 8 year old Focus has been well maintained over the years and was serviced last October. Before it's service the oil warning light had been flashing off and on at odd times while I was driving. I mentioned it to the garage and they said it was low on oil. I was a bit dubious as we had checked the car and there seemed to be plenty of oil. All went well since Oct and I thought no more of it until this week when the problem started again. The car is running well and does not seem to be losing oil. A friend who knows a bit about about cars says the oil pressure may be going up and down. Anyone any ideas before I bring it to the garage.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

If its a red one, stop the car the second you see it and get it towed to a dealer. Low oil pressure, even for a few seconds can ruin the engine.

If it's an amber one, get the oil topped up immediately.

The only time the red one should be on is for a few seconds after the car has started and after a long drive, theres nothing wrong if it comes on when the car is stopped and it comes on briefly for a few seconds, but only after long drives.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭ford jedi

what year is your focus and is it petrol or diesel as certain models have modified pressure switches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

The car is 00 petrol model. I do know to stop the car immediately if the oil light comes on but this is just a quick flash on and off. In the beginning it was so fast that for a while I thought it was just my imagination! I guess it is a garage job at this stage. It's the bill for the work that un-nerves me even before I've left it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭ford jedi

it wouldnt be expensive possibly just pressure switch and may just need a pressure test done just to be sure

Thanks for that jedi-you've put my mind at ease. When it comes to cars all I see is money flying out the door!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 dmcracing

Could be the switch.Or could be big end shells in the engine.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Sometimes it is low oil. It depends if the car has a oil level warning switch in addition to a pressure switch. Oil level should be checked weekly on level ground and when cold.

I've checked and it only has a pressure light. Handbook here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Could it be a loose connection with the Oil level gauge??

Thanks for all the advice/suggestions. I'll let you know what happens.

Advertisement