Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opel Astra- good or bad?

Options
  • 13-02-2008 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Just got offered 05 Opel Astra 1.4 3dr hatch for 15, 500euro.All I hear is good things about car but anybody out got any thoughts?When will it change, good on petrol etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 OPEL PARTS GREE

TheKid wrote: »
    Just got offered 05 Opel Astra 1.4 3dr hatch for 15, 500euro.All I hear is good things about car but anybody out got any thoughts?When will it change, good on petrol etc.

Very good choice!!!!:cool:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Car is fine but the price?

VEHICLE REGISTRATION TAX (VRT) ENQUIRY
    DATE: 14 February 2008 TIME: 09:09

STATISTICAL CODE: 45687822
    MAKE: OPEL
    MODEL: ASTRA ALL VERSIONS (From Apr. 1998)
    VERSION: SPORT XEI 03DR / HATCHBACK / MANUAL / PETROL ONLY /
    MILEAGE: 20000 MILES

The information requested in respect of the vehicle shown is indicated below.
    DATE OF FIRST REGISTRATION(MM/YY): DECEMBER 2005
    OPEN MARKET SELLING PRICE:
    (applicable on enquiry date) €10590
    RATE OF TAX: 22.5%
    VEHICLE REGISTRATION TAX:
    (payable on enquiry date) €2382

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 OPEL PARTS GREE

Astra 2005 Buy 9750 Market Sell10900

And 2006 Model 10750 11950

opelcarspricelist022008mj5.jpg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Ireland is very different to Greece.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

GF has a 2003 1.2 Astra for sale see below.

I have a 1999 1.4 Astra and its running very well. I will never part with it so I ll give it the thumbs up.

05 she 3 year old 15000 straight deal would be ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Sister is driving Astra for years, she is satisfied with them.
    Only satisfied? - She is never happy with anything!

But I agree 15k seems steep for that car, regardless of mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭LarWright

DATE OF FIRST REGISTRATION(MM/YY): DECEMBER 2005
    OPEN MARKET SELLING PRICE:
    (applicable on enquiry date) €10590

Try get one here for €11000 though!

The Average price on Carzone seems to be around the €15000 so to OP, I would shop around, and try buy one in a garage with a few months warranty just to be sure!!

They've been given a facelift since 2005 but only the grill and different alloys AFAIK. They came out in the Sport Hatch in 2005, my 2005, was one of the first in the country, so I can't imagine them abandoning the shape for another few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

My previous car was an 01 Astra Hatch, 1.4 petrol. Never had a problem with it and found it to be a good solid car for the small money that I paid for it.

My current car is a 05 Astra [new model] 1.7 CDTI standard hatch, and again I'm very happy with it. Gives quite good fuel economy to boot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

LarWright wrote: »
    Try get one here for €11000 though!

The Average price on Carzone seems to be around the €15000
    Did you actually look on Carzone?? There are plenty for 11-12k.

There are 28 where the asking price is under €13k
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=search&MakeID=21&ModelID=193&Year_Min=2005&Engine_Max=&Year_Max=2005&&Price_Max=13000

Some lovely clean ones on that list.

OP, you'd be nuts to spend 15.5k on an Astra from what I can see.

TheKid wrote: »
    3dr hatch

Note the 3 door hatch bit from Original Post
    JHMEG wrote: »
    Did you actually look on Carzone?? There are plenty for 11-12k.

Did you actually read the original post!?? The link you provided shows ONE 3 door sport hatch (and the picture isn't even the right car or colour to match the listing!)

The 5 door and 3 door astras only share a few parts, chassis, engine, part of the interior, bonnet and front wings. Everything else is different.

• Advertisement

The 5 door and 3 door astras only share a few parts, chassis, engine, part of the interior, bonnet and front wings. Everything else is different.
    And your point is?? Are you saying the 3dr is selling for 3-4 grand more than a 5dr?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

And your point is?? Are you saying the 3dr is selling for 3-4 grand more than a 5dr?

Id suspect a 5dr will command a price premium over the "sport hatch" if anything.

Actually, yes I am....

Even new they're more expensive.... from www.opel.ie

Astra 5 door & Estate from €20495
    Astra 3 door Sport Hatch from €23150

Mad. It's like the con job VW did with the new Beetle.. (charging more for the same car)

Tho after 3 years the price gap would be very little.

Tho after 3 years the price gap would be very little.

Granted, yes, the gap should be little, but the problem is trying to get one.... The 3 door is more soughtafter than the 5 door so less are on the market, plus 2005 ones are harder to comeby as they were only launched that year, whereas the 5 door has been around since 2004.

The 3 / 5 door are exactly the same price when it comes down to it, as the Entry level 3 door (SXI model with Alloys, Front Fogs and Bucket Seats etc...) is mid-range in the 5 door because they do the Life and Club with no Fog Lights on the front and steel wheels with hubcaps etc....

In that regard, the Astra is different, because if you buy a standard Golf, it's around €700 odd less if you go for a 3 door, over a 5 door. I think most cars are like this, the 3 door equivalent is always a bit cheaper that it's 5 door sister.

Full new price list in pdf format is HERE on the Opel Website

Granted, yes, the gap should be little, but the problem is trying to get one....
    Regardless of what the reason, the 3dr 1.4 is a 3dr 1.4 small family hatchback, and nothing special. Rather than pay over the odds for a 3dr the 5dr makes more sense, as it's also a 1.4 small family hatchback.

Rather than pay over the odds for a 3dr the 5dr makes more sense, as it's also a 1.4 small family hatchback.

It's supply and demand, so you're not paying over the odds. That's the price, end of!.... and who's says the 5 door makes more sense!?

Firstly, only if you have a need to be getting in and out of the back or have small kids does the 5 door make more sense. Personally, I think the 5 door is horrible and the 3 door has the nicest lines in it's class.

Secondly, the 3 door is a Hot hatch, not a family hatchback. I don't know anyone with 2 or 3 kids that would buy a 3 door car!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Seriously you have to admit that the Sportshatch is a great cross between a hatchback and a couple.

I would prefer the Sportshatch over the Hatchback.

The price of the 1.4 SXI Hatchback is the same as the 1.4 SXI Sportshatch.

The Sportshatch doesnt come in the lower trims of Life and Club and therefore the starting price is more expensive than the starting price of the 5dr Hatchback.

Life - Hatchback Only
    Club - Hatchback Only
    SXI - Hatchback and Sportshatch
    Design - Hatchback and Sportshatch
    SRI - Hatchback and Sporthatch
    OPC - Sportshatch Only

I see Kia have gone down the same route as Opel and introduce a "Sportshatch" called the Kia proc'eed

The 3 / 5 door are exactly the same price when it comes down to it, as the Entry level 3 door (SXI model with Alloys, Front Fogs and Bucket Seats etc...) is mid-range in the 5 door because they do the Life and Club with no Fog Lights on the front and steel wheels with hubcaps etc....
    kluivert wrote: »
    The price of the 1.4 SXI Hatchback is the same as the 1.4 SXI Sportshatch.

I did say that! :)

Advertisement