Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My tattoo- Whats its meaning... anyone?

Options
  • 13-02-2008 10:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hey guys!

Well i went to get a tattoo, well last minute i changed mind to get a chinese symbol.... I googled LUCK nd it looks different to what i got!

Anyone got any ides what mine means, if it has different meaning

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

'gullible'?

Chinese forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Kansaki

Is that what it means??

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

"Rice"

Ah tell me u's are messing

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

well, thats what my mate from hong kong just said when i showed him the pic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

headstrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭truthinwords

This is the problem with kanji/hainzi tattoos. I study Chinese have a Chinese PHD and professor to ask and I still wouldn't consider getting one.

xtruthx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Quite often part of the problem seems to be that there is no direct translation so people have to try do an interpretive one and the meaning gets changed a little from the original intent.

:mad:And damn you Karoma, I clicked that link expecting to see the Chinese forum!:o:(

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭wahlrab

a chinese classmate of mine says it means full of pride but not in a good way rather pride before a fall kind of idea

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

well done for getting a tattoo you don't know the meaning of.

*claps sarcastically*

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Dashticle

Time to break out the cheesegrater and brillopads love.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭truthinwords

Tattoos in a language you can't speak are fairly questionable. Anyways each to their own. Do people still remember the straight-edge tattoo as gaeilge XD

xtruthx

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

"free drugs" ftw

You can use my soon to be patented carpet burn tattoo removal system if you want

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Sticky this thread please mods!

A bit of research before getting inked is a must mate! Just be glad you didnt get "I SUCK BALLS" tattoo'd on ya!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

haha i remember that "drugail saor" one on modblog, emmet knows the story from IAM too rofl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Purple Person

Why don't you drop into Wildcat in St Stephens green and get Ning to look at it, he'll give you a rough translation.

I remember one guy coming in and asking ning what his kanji said and ning had to break the news that it didn't say anything coz the transfer was put on backwards, it was only made sense when he stood infront of the mirror.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭NukeD4

Bushido.1.mod.3.framed_copy.gif

the above means bushido as in the samurai code of honour
    ,and the last character looks like your tattoo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

I remember one guy coming in and asking ning what his kanji said and ning had to break the news that it didn't say anything coz the transfer was put on backwards, it was only made sense when he stood infront of the mirror.

Ouch.... that's actually worse than having it say the wrong thing in a way as it's so close, just the tattooist put it on backwards....

I would also be in favour of this becoming a sticky and people adding their own (TRUE, no hearsay, or my mate's brother's best friend's.... type stuff, we want it to be a genuine warning to people who want to get these tattoos but haven't put in the research to be 100% certain of the meaning) horror stories of mistranslations or just complete screw-ups regarding getting tattoos in other languages when not fluent in them yourself. There have been certain posters who seemed to think it's just some daft elitist stance we have on why it's unwise to get these tattoos.

Also if anyone has the links to little miss "drugail saor"'s story it'd be good to have here also, help show that it's not just when dealing with foreign alphbets that there can be problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

NukeD4 wrote: »
    the above means bushido as in the samurai code of honour
    ,and the last character looks like your tattoo

In fairness, that's like saying l looks like i
    The characters have a similar structure, but are very different

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

okay so tattoo language mishaps.

well when i was in the states there was a girl i=who had just gotten a tattoo done in irish and asked me and my sister in the tattoo shop to translate and make sure it said, my love, my life, my valeria. well, there was 3 spelling/grammar mistakes but the jist was there so we didnt say anything as we didnt wanna upset her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Em_2008

my friend's boyfriend went in to get "friend" tattooed on his neck n he went to tokyo a year or so after for work and found out it meant "mentally deranged"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

in those of situations i'm convinced the guy/gal tattooing know and are being jerks. unless the customer brought it in with them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

Kansaki wrote: »
    Hey guys!

well last minute i changed mind to get a chinese symbol....

what where you going in to get in the 1st place??

well me mate found the symbol same as mine and it means luck... I dunno. there must be loadsa ways to spell it in chinese...

I was gonna get 3 stars, or a fairy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭im_invisible

well it means fortune(luck?) in the link above, so id say your all-right

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

farohar wrote: »
    Also if anyone has the links to little miss "drugail saor"'s story it'd be good to have here also, help show that it's not just when dealing with foreign alphbets that there can be problems.

Quick google got it, http://modblog.bmezine.com/2007/02/23/drugail-saor/ .

She claims she researched it for 2 years before getting it. An apostrophe instead of a fada, the wrong word for drug(s) and the grammar written as it would be in English. Fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Kansaki wrote: »
    well me mate found the symbol same as mine and it means luck... I dunno. there must be loadsa ways to spell it in chinese...

I was gonna get 3 stars, or a fairy

This, folks, is why you should wait until after you're 14 to get a tatt...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 davis lu

Hi Kansaki. It's just OK,however Chinese see it will consider the meaning: lucky, or somethig like u hold your fate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Wow...
    You realy didn't think this threw did you?

Advertisement