Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Semi-automatic transmission for test

Options
  • 13-02-2008 11:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

If I did my test in a golf with a dsg(direct sequential gearbox), would my licence be restricted? It's just that I find it kind of easier - I would probably end up with a regular manual for my 1st car but I am currently a named driver on a manual and a semi-auto

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

In short, no clutch pedal and it's classed as an automatic. Licence will have Code 78 - restricted to automatic transmission.

ROAD TRAFFIC (LICENSING OF DRIVERS) REGULATIONS, 1999.

“automatic transmission” means any system for connecting engine output to driven wheel which is controlled by any method except one consisting solely of driver operated mechanical or hydraulic linkages

2nd EU Driving Licence Directive 2000/56/EC

“Vehicle with automatic transmission” means a vehicle in which the gear ratio between the engine and the wheels can be varied by use only of the accelerator or the brakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bangersandmash

In the car I am talking about, the DSG has a paddle shift, i.e. I can decide when to change gears using a paddle on the wheel which seems to cover me for

2nd EU Driving Licence Directive 2000/56/EC

“Vehicle with automatic transmission” means a vehicle in which the gear ratio between the engine and the wheels can be varied by use only of the accelerator or the brakes.

but is a paddle a mechanical or hydraulic linkage? and would it matter that it can change gears automatically as well as me doing it?

PS I have only driven the car once so i amn't exactly sure how to use it and i have no idea how it works

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

It's essentially an automatic that gives you the option of manually changing gears. It's not a mechanical or hydraulic system it's electronic therefor it would restrict your license to an automatic.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

In the car I am talking about, the DSG has a paddle shift, i.e. I can decide when to change gears using a paddle on the wheel...

Sorry to confuse you, but if you read back through both those definitions carefully, you're only using the accelerator or brakes on a DSG, so it's considered automatic for licencing purposes.

no clutch pedal = automatic.

It doesn't matter if you control the paddle. In a conventional auto I can move the selector to control manually to change the gears.

Advertisement