Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you complain??

• 13-02-2008 11:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭

Do you have the nuts to complain about somthing like goods or a service?
    Alot of the people i know dont have the balls to say weather the food was cold or the waiter was an ass or you dont get somthing the way its supposed be. I dont like complaining, i just think if you have somthing to say, say it

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I complained that some ribs I got the other day were a bit on the small side. It was a restaurant I go to very often because they give decent portions. I told the manager and he gave me a full rack no charge. :) At one place, I was utterly disgusted with a waiter that I could have smacked him across the back of the head so I left which is sometimes the best thing you can do is just not shop there anymore.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,929 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Depends on the situation, if it's a restaurant and I'm in a rush I wouldn't bother, cos by the time they'd sorted it out I'd be late. I generally would complain if I had a problem with substandard goods or services, but I don't mean whinge about it. I'd just calmly point out the problem, you get things sorted out much quicker by just being pleasant rather than losing the rag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Harpy

oh i totally complain if something isn't right. if i get the wrong thing or it is a bit cold i have no problem complaining abut it im paying for a service so i expect it to be of good quality..
    funny actually just reminded me of when i was younger and when we'd go into mcdonalds and they'd like half fill the chips i'd go straight up and be like thats not a large chip and they'd say that's as far as we're supposed to fill them and id just point at the sign and go well that's false adverstising then.. i was about twelve didn't have a clue what i was talkin about like .. i was a little b*tch.but i always got my chips filled properly...i don't think mcdonalds liked me very much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Do you have the nuts to complain about somthing like goods or a service?

Yes I do, because if you don't complain then they will never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Extraplus

Ruu wrote: »
    the best thing you can do is just not shop there anymore.

I would disagree here. If management don't know of the problems, how are they to fix them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭whatsgoinon

i used to be mortified when my mother used to moan about stuff in restaurants, then when i got older, I started to do it, if I'm paying the prices that are being asked of these days, I expect value for my money. I have complained about various bits and pieces without being a wagon about it and have received discounts, a few rounds of drinks for me and my friends, considering the mark up on food and drinks its the least they could do

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

If I'm paying for it then I will complain to no end when it deserves it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

i used to be mortified when my mother used to moan about stuff in restaurants, then when i got older, I started to do it, if I'm paying the prices that are being asked of these days, I expect value for my money. I have complained about various bits and pieces without being a wagon about it and have received discounts, a few rounds of drinks for me and my friends, considering the mark up on food and drinks its the least they could do

I was about to start a post with this exact sentence! I used to hide outside when my mum complained. Now Im paying, I complain if I'm not happy. I'm not super fussy though, I'll only complain if it really warrants it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭bada_bing

oh absolutely, i complain no problem at all when the situation calls for it especially in this rip-off celtic tiger culture. Most usually if i find service very poor such as waiting too long because the staff are talking to a friend or are being ignorant and rude, i just drop everything and walk right out of the shop!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Extraplus wrote: »
    I would disagree here. If management don't know of the problems, how are they to fix them?

I edited to add in my particular situation in which I felt it was better to leave as I was bloody raging and needed to get out or toss a few chairs around the place. :) Quite right that the management should know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

McDonalds is a great place to hone your complaining skills:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I will complain (who'd have guessed!), I have worked in the catering/service industry for a long time and bad service is unacceptable.

But I do believe, bring it to the managment. If they don't know about it, they can't stop it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

McDonalds is a great place to hone your complaining skills:D
    Indeed it is. They regularly get the order wrong.

I have no problem complaining if a food ordr is wrong.
    The trick is to do it politely.

Being an arsehole about it is wrong.
    Just politely explain your situation and all will be well.
    If you're gonna be a dick, expect spit in your food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

I agree, covert before overt, if all else fails, go noisey:D
    Naagh politely is the best policy, will get you free stuff;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I run a hotel, but i never complain if i get bad service in another restaurant. Its strange, i make a point of dragging the complain out if i think a guest isn't happy but has not said anything, but when I'm the customer i keep my mouth fairly much shut, unless its a disaster of a meal.

But in any other shop, company, service industry I'll complain if not 100% happy. Today i was dealing with an agency, I had a problem and they said they would have to call me later, because they couldn't find the number of the sub-contractor. I just said 'no thats unacceptable and i'll just wait right here till you sort it'. miracle of miracles, she 'found' the number and it was all sorted within 5 minutes. i hate laziness more than anything, if the staff member not the brightest, I'll have more understanding than if their just plain lazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Yes, i surely do. If I pay, I expect some decent service and a quality product.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Do you have the nuts
    No.
    to complain about somthing like goods or a service?
    Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Yes I do, when the situation calls for it. I try not to go mental or anything because from being on the receiving end of complaints for 7 years has taught me that there is little else in the world more irritating than a know-it-all customer who insists their rights have been violated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Terry wrote: »
    I have no problem complaining if a food order is wrong.

*applause*

I remember working in food places.... people are generally *****: please be nice when youre complaining because a) they arent out to get you unless youre an ass cos then they do b) put rat poo in your coffee.

thats the truth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

I will if it's absolutely necessary.
    I do it politely though. If service is generally crap and slow, they don't get no tip! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Am useless to complain, took at stand at christmas in dunnes stores when the girl serving took to flinging my shopping through the scanner in an unusual display of need for speed.(she broke two eggs, it was that bad, really rude as well)
    i asked to speak to a manager, and over his shoulder I could see and hear the girl calling me a fcuking b1tch, the manger just aggreed she was wrong and said he'd talk to her, I have never been so angry, and really though I'd hit her if I got close to her, talking to the manager was like talking to a wall.
    So basically never again.

Other than that I have walked out of many a hairdresser in near tears, and never said a word and have sometimes thrown in a tip. Useless, but i know many girls who have done this. sad state of affairs really.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I try to avoid it.

I have a fierce temper... and can result in me going apesh1t.

Last time i complained, i broke my hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭indiana jones

bad customer service makes me soo mad. when you are standing there at a counter in a shop and mandy and candy behind the counter dont even make eye contact with you and carry on their conversation for another 5 minutes in frount of you. i feel like michael douglas in 'falling down' and want to open fire on them. soo ignorent.
    i never quiet say anything because just when u feel your going to blow they say 'next 'and the anger goes and you say ' can i have a bag too please'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭truecrippler

Do you complain??

Yes, but only when my mam forgets to put brown sauce on me rasher, sausage and pudding sambo. Oh and when the cup of tea is nowhere near to being full.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,954 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

i often complain. I was in a chipper a few weeks ago and ordered a veggie burger and chips. I noticed the guys put the veggie burger into the same oil he was cooking sausages in. to me that's utter disgusting it's meant for vegetarians for god sake. i asked if he had done that and he got ratty saying I've no whee else to cook it. so i suggested in the same oil as the chips. so he cooks another one, then he lifts sausages with a tongs and then lifts the veggie burger with the same bloody tongs, when i complained the owner told me to F off and asked me to leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

In fairness that is very picky

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Indeed it is. They regularly get the order wrong.

I have no problem complaining if a food ordr is wrong.

Nightwish wrote: »
    Yes I do, when the situation calls for it. I try not to go mental or anything because from being on the receiving end of complaints for 7 years has taught me that there is little else in the world more irritating than a know-it-all customer who insists their rights have been violated.

You can always tell when these threads start, who has actually been on the other side of the counter by responses like these. While you should always get your point accross, being a git gets you no where.

I was a retail manager for nearly 5 years and in my head, the switch flipped from "I''m gonna kill assistant X when I get my hands on them" to "Bloody hell, Im glad you got fecked over. But I'm still going to kill assistant X" quite often.

I would try harder to make things right for the first person though.

Do complain, things can't get better if you don't, but don't expect to be treated as anything other than a sh*t if you act like one.

*Gets off high horse*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

For me its not a problem. I will complain if there is a problem with my food. But if im ordering somewhere where the staff dont know me my foood is limited. for example No sauces and my food is always 100% plain if im ordering somewhere new... I mean silvios and me had ongoing war for a long time. Every single selivery for over a year and a 1/2 had something wrong with it and resulted in them having to send a driver up to collect the food and then bring back the correct order.

I dont do it to be a kunt... its just i can be a fusy eater i dont like mayo for example so 1 in 4 rolls/burgers i order results in them having to remake the order.

As for resturaunts... I dont go to allot of different ones but my regular's id go to would know my tip will change week to week from nothing-25% (if it was a very memorible meal) So the quality of the food tends to be high....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭briantwin

Although i do agree with a lot of the replies about complaining if there is something worth complaining about, i have from my years working in restaurants and establishments from pub grub right up to fine dining I have noticed an "element" of moaners. I'll explain, I used to work in a local restaurant where i live, very popular eatery etc etc. Anyway , we had hatches out to the floor, like an open plan kitchen. So we could see outside and vice versa. I remember all the times someone complained about food, sometimes they were warranted. But there was however one time that comes to mind.
    A couple came in, had a full meal each. Starters, main courses , desserts and 2 bottles of wine. The woman complained about her starter,she said it was cold. I checked it, twas piping hot so i just replated and sent it out without reheating it. She thought it was fine then. Then on her main courses she found a "hair" in her pasta. Turns out one of the waitresses saw her putting the hair in there herself. When it came to bill time she threw a fu*kin whopper strop. Demanding she be comped her starters and the wine they had drank because of "cold food with hair in it". When this was denied they tried to leave, so we call the gardai. Who caught them waiting for a bus on the the main st. Turns out they only had enough money for pretty much the main courses and the bus home that was it.Everything was meant to be out of mine and the other staffs wages effectively.

It really pissed me off. I complain when its warranted, i disagree with people complaining with the aim of getting comped. I dont like when people assume they'll be getting a freebie cause they open their big mouths and bellow. Its a bad attitude to have. Sadly i've noticed a steady increase in people doing this though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭briantwin

dade wrote: »
    i often complain. I was in a chipper a few weeks ago and ordered a veggie burger and chips. I noticed the guys put the veggie burger into the same oil he was cooking sausages in. to me that's utter disgusting it's meant for vegetarians for god sake. i asked if he had done that and he got ratty saying I've no whee else to cook it. so i suggested in the same oil as the chips. so he cooks another one, then he lifts sausages with a tongs and then lifts the veggie burger with the same bloody tongs, when i complained the owner told me to F off and asked me to leave.

Ahh come one!! are you serious?? What about the fact that there is searing oil all over both to ensure all that animal goodness is not on your veggie burger?
    Really i tihnk you might have been a bit too picky. Would you kiss someone who's just eaten some chicken (didn't want to say sausage)??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Usually I dont bother to be honest, I just roll with it. I expect a level of idiocy and a few mistakes. If I order bud and get Heineken I'll just drink it, because really I don't care either way. Some people complain out of principle, even though they'll drink heiny no probs, but I don't. For one thing I dont want to wait for them to bring the new drink... I also dont want to get the lounge staff in trouble unnecessarily just to make a point...

Same if I get the wrong meal at a restaurant. If it's something I just can't eat, I'll see if someone wants to swap. If they won't, I'll then complain; but really I dont want to wait another 20 minutes while everyone else is eating their food.

If it's something I actually give a sh*t about or is significant, I'll complain, but for minor stuff I'll just roll with it and accept imperfection. Shoot me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I still have a good deal of Irish guilt and laid-backness about it and still tend to avoid complaining if the issue isn't bothering me all that much. I definitely complain a lot more than I used to, but probably not enough.

Which is a pity, cos I usually get exactly what I want when I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

I'd complain if my order was wrong, I wouldn't be a prick about it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Sugar Drunk

I work in a customer serving environment and often put up with a lot of grief from customers (often when its not actually the companies fault and often from some very rude people), so I have no problem complaining myself if I am un happy with something- what goes around comes around.

However I would never be rude or cross the line into shouting or abuse as I have had customers do this to me on the past and I know what affect it has - I have no time for rude people and I expect that others do not either. I would also prefer to speak to management as the people at the front line are not responsible for making policies and rules and only management will do anything about a complaint

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Babette08

Yeah I think we're paying so much for our services now, that it's only right that we speak up when not satisfied. IMO it's all about the manner in which the complaint is made and think if you're polite and treat whoever is on the receiving end with respect then you'll get the result you want :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

I have complained before if my order is wrong, have had to leave food back before as it wasn't cooked properly (chicken). I have always been polite about it.
    Was staying in a hotel on my last holiday and had to complain about the standard of the room, they moved us swiftly enough after that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I have a friend that looks for things to complain about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I'm a serial complainer and only back off when I think I'm going to subjected to extreme violence. We were in a Czech hotel last summer, where they were having staff problems. Depending on which chef was on, the food was either very good, or very bad. One evening, We were sitting waiting for an eternity for dinner, when, through the glass panel on the kitchen door, I caught a glimpse of a wok flying across the kitchen. The chef and one of the senior waitresses were shouting and screaming at each other and basically bouncing the utensils off the walls, and each other. I only wish to god, I knew what they were talking about.

After the violence died down, the food was delivered to our table. It was crap! Did I complain? .....Did I bollocks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

I know this chef (lets just say he has issues) who served a rare steak to someone. He sent it back saying it was too rare. The chef p*ssed on the steak, gave it a very quick once over in the pan and served it right back to the customer. Afterwards the customer said that it was the best steak he had ever eaten.:eek: After hearing about that I'm always a little nervous about sending back food!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭whatsgoinon

today i waited patiently for 4 minutes for 2 waitresses in a coffee bar to finish their conversation before I could order. So when it came to pay I started a 4 minute conversation with my friend, your one behind the counter started getting really snotty, saying that will be £1.60 (no please), louder and louder which I kept ignoring, until the 4 minutes were up.

I also had a friend who worked in a chinese restaurant, a customer who was bouncer of a nightclub who had refused staff entry a few days prior came in for a takeaway, don't think you want to know what they did to his food. Haven't eaten in that take away since

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Oh go on ... tell us! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

dade wrote: »

That's because you were being ridiculous. Do you walk around with a mask on your face so you won't have to breath in the same air as us meat eaters too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

DaveMcG wrote: »
    Usually I dont bother to be honest, I just roll with it. I expect a level of idiocy and a few mistakes. If I order bud and get Heineken I'll just drink it, because really I don't care either way. Some people complain out of principle, even though they'll drink heiny no probs, but I don't. For one thing I dont want to wait for them to bring the new drink... I also dont want to get the lounge staff in trouble unnecessarily just to make a point...

There are some things not worth complaining about but if pub staff gave the wrong drink I'd send it back.
    I've often sent back Cokes when I wanted a Diet Coke (Diet is 10 times nicer!)

If you are going to complain to someone then make sure you complain to the right person.
    If you reckon the price of food or drink is a ripoff then bitching to the student who works there at weekends is not going to achieve anything other than upset them. Ask for a manager, they are paid extra for extra responsibility.

Having worked in hotels, I'll say Irish people are useless at complaining. They rarely do it and instead badmouth your business to anyone who will listen. It's a typical Irish thing, moan to your friends but never take action.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,929 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

micmclo wrote: »
    If you are going to complain to someone then make sure you complain to the right person.
    If you reckon the price of food or drink is a ripoff then bitching to the student who works there at weekends is not going to achieve anything other than upset them. Ask for a manager, they are paid extra for extra responsibility.

QFT

I'm in a customer facing roll in my job (cashier in bank) and I really hate it when customers come up and start ripping me out of it for something I have absolutely no control over (like opening hours or bank charges for example) and after they've spent 5 minutes absolutely roasting me, they go 'I know it's not your fault, I don't mean to be shouting at you' ....well then why are you shouting at me???? Or my personal favourite 'I pay your salary you know.' And after all their ranting and raving, I end up having to get the manager cos I can't fix their problems, and they're as nice as pie to her!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad: it'd almost make me want to cause more problems for them cos they're such arseholes!!

/end rant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I also had a friend who worked in a chinese restaurant, a customer who was bouncer of a nightclub who had refused staff entry a few days prior came in for a takeaway, don't think you want to know what they did to his food. Haven't eaten in that take away since
    That's just nasty.
    You never screw with someone's food.
    In that instance, I would have refused to serve the bouncer and used the "management reserve the right to sefuse admission" clause.
    Never mess with someone's food. Ever.

micmclo wrote: »
    There are some things not worth complaining about but if pub staff gave the wrong drink I'd send it back.
    I've often sent back Cokes when I wanted a Diet Coke (Diet is 10 times nicer!)
    I'd have banned you for that, had you not continued your post with something sensible and true.

Having worked in hotels, I'll say Irish people are useless at complaining. They rarely do it and instead badmouth your business to anyone who will listen. It's a typical Irish thing, moan to your friends but never take action.

I completely agree.
    If you don't complain, then nothing gets fixed.

A simple analogy would be reporting posts here.

As a mod on AH, I tend to rely on people reporting offensive posts.
    Ok, I try to read all posts, but sometimes it's not possible due to time constraints.

We look at every reported post though and act on them as needed.

A manager in a restaurant acts in a similar way.

If a waiter or the chef or whatever are not working up to scratch, complaints to the manager will result in that person being disciplined and/or fired.
    Conditions will then improve.

Never feel guilty about complaining.
    Managers are there to field your complaints.
    If they don't do what is needed, then go over their heads and talk to the owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

I know this chef (lets just say he has issues) who served a rare steak to someone. He sent it back saying it was too rare. The chef p*ssed on the steak, gave it a very quick once over in the pan and served it right back to the customer. Afterwards the customer said that it was the best steak he had ever eaten.:eek: After hearing about that I'm always a little nervous about sending back food!

My dad once advised me to complain whenever the situation warrants it, except if it is in a restaurant that I either go to regularly or will be sending the food back to the kitchen to be reheated / replaced. It may be a generalisation but I think I will continue to follow his advice after reading this :eek:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I'd have banned you for that, had you not continued your post with something sensible and true.

You'd ban me for liking Diet Coke in Post 48 :eek:
    Everyone knows that Diet Coke is nicer than Coke, there is no denying it!!

Sorry, getting off topic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Laslo

Haha. I've heard so many variations on that story over the years and it never fails to make me laugh.

Of course you never hear about these chefs/butchers getting arrested or anything... coincidental... yet the anecdotes run on. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

briantwin wrote: »
    Ahh come one!! are you serious?? What about the fact that there is searing oil all over both to ensure all that animal goodness is not on your veggie burger?
    Really i tihnk you might have been a bit too picky. Would you kiss someone
    who's just eaten some chicken (didn't want to say sausage)??

Why? the taste of meat makes me sick, if i don't order a quarter pounder why should i have to taste it? it's cross contamination that's why differing coloured boards should be used in food preparation, green for vegetables, red/brown for meat, blue for fish etc it's to stop cross contamination. meat like sausages cooked in oil will leave traces of fat in the oil, if it's fresh oil then you wont notice it but if the oil has been used day in day out for 4 or 5 days and constantly cooking fish, sausages, batter burgers etc in it then the taste of the fat will be in the oil i know it's bloody weird but it can be tasted. Hell i know someone that actually wont eat food if it doesn't have a note on the packaging stating it's suitable for vegetarians, even wine gums they contain animal gelatin so it's out of bounds for them

honest answer if they had just stuffed into a quarter pounder I'd probably say no thanks. my other half has the decency to brush her teeth etc after eating meat and if the situation was reversed I'd do the same.

LuckyStar wrote: »
    That's because you were being ridiculous. Do you walk around with a mask on your face so you won't have to breath in the same air as us meat eaters too?

WFT? breathing in air give me a break, i dislike the taste of meat not oxygen, at home if someone is cooking meat i leave the room because the smell of some meats cooking is too strong for me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement