Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M&s

Options
  • 14-02-2008 12:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Anybody know what its like to work for m&s in town eg pay and promotion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Luckyglen wrote: »
    Anybody know what its like to work for m&s in town eg pay and promotion

Didn't work in Galway store but worked in the Cork one. The situation is pretty much the same in all stores. The pay in M&S is around 9 euro (or just over it) starting out. Everyone starts on a temporary 3 month contract of 19 and a half hours, and if you are kept on you get another 3 month contract of 19 and a half hours. You also agree to 10 hour flexibility, and they usually give these extra hours, especially at busy times. After that you will either be kept on if a permanent position opens up or let go. Once you are made permanent the conditions are quite good, and you can apply for a section manager's job once you have enough experience and one opens up.

Working in the Galway store has its advantages in that the opening hours are quite short so there is less chance of having to work late nights, etc.

The recruitment process is interesting. You can apply by calling M&S and asking for recruitment or by handing in a CV. If they are hiring they will call you and ask you a series of questions about how you would react in different situations. This is multiple choice. There are no right and wrong answers, but you have to get a certain amount of points based on your answers to move on to the next stage. Next stage is 'interview'. For me this involved a group role-play and individual role-play. No formal questions, just seeing how you react in certain situations. It takes a long time though. Then, if offered a position, you go in for training. This lasts 2-3 days with full pay.

I enjoyed working in M&S although I had my ups and downs. The Galway store seems quiet so it should be a nice working environment. Less stock too, so less to do! (This is not a good thing, when it's quiet it's awful!)

I spoke to a lady who works there and she said it's a nice place to work.

For part time work it's great, but it's also great if you want to work there long term. (Provided you are kept on.)

Can't believe I wrote all that. I spent most of the time complaining about working there! But looking back it was a nice job.

Any other questions just ask.

Advertisement