Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Suggestions Please!

Options
  • 14-02-2008 1:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭

Going to look at some cars tomor, to buy car suitable for a wheelchair bound passenger, it will have to be adapted for a swivel seat. Anyway, any suggestions for cars with wide passenger doors, good height and large enough boot to carry wheelchair etc!
    P.S. its my grandmothers car so an easy drive important!;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

3 door hatchbacks are generally good as they have wider openings than 5 door models, something with a high roof helps too for accessability.

Peugeot 308 3dr or Toyota Auris 3dr are good for swivel seats if you're looking at new cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

colm_mcm wrote: »
    3 door hatchbacks are generally good as they have wider openings than 5 door models, something with a high roof helps too for accessability.

Peugeot 308 3dr or Toyota Auris 3dr are good for swivel seats if you're looking at new cars.

Are the likes of the Kangoo car, Doblo (is that the one I'm thinking of? or is it the scudo?) and similar not usually popular for this type of application?

Scudo/Kangoo usually popular if you need to carry many people plus a disabled passenger travelling in the wheelchair rather than using a swivel seat.

They fit a ramp on the back. Costs a fortune.

Swivel seat costs are more than offset by the VRT and VAT exemption for a disabled passenger. though at over €2k for using a factory seat they're not exactly cheap. (conversion has to be at least 10% of the price of the vehicle AFAIK)

Peugeot 1007 with its electric sliding doors may be a runner too (can't think of any other situation where someone would want one)

800px-Peugeot_1007.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Katie_Kiss

by the way, do you know that if you are modifying the car ie the swivel seat you can get a grand or some sort of allowance which can be quite a large amount. and those seats really dont take away from the look of the car. a friend of the family modified his bmw and got 8grand i think. worth checking it out if you havnt already.

Katie_Kiss wrote: »
    by the way, do you know that if you are modifying the car ie the swivel seat you can get a grand or some sort of allowance which can be quite a large amount. and those seats really dont take away from the look of the car. a friend of the family modified his bmw and got 8grand i think. worth checking it out if you havnt already.

If you fit a swivel seat, you are exempt from VRT and VAT on the car up to €15,875. You still have to pay for the swivel seat though - but you can effectively change your car for nothing every 2 years if you pick the right car.

(The car can be sold 2 years on for the regular market value, and as long as the 2 years depreciation plus the cost of the seat is less than the combined VAT and VRT saved, you'll be ok)

Some cars (but not all) allow an adaptor swivel base to be used on the car's original seat. this isn't always workable though, as factory seats are quite bulky and will catch the centre console when the seat is turned. The advantage is that the side airbag is kept and the car looks pretty much the same as it did before the conversion (except for the seat being a few inches higher than it was, and slightly wobbly!)

the other option is an Elap seat which is smaller and doesn't quite match the interior. it usually works much better than the other type, and is generally used by people with very bad mobility.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Katie_Kiss

yea you triggered my memory - he saved it on the vrt i think. i wonder does my granny need a driver...ummmm interesting? :p (sorry not trying to make light of the topic)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Thanks for the suggests. Ya i wish granny could get a driver, but she had a few years left in her yet! The idea was to get a car for her to drive and grandad would be comfortable in the adapted passenger seat. I know the two door gives more room, however there will be a passenger or two to help out when transporting grandad!! so two door wasnt practicle.Factor in that she wants to buy the first ting she sees and you get a very stressful day...Result was she's buying a citreon berlingo multispace, with all the various vrt,vat etc off the price, she be paying between 3-6k.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Katie_Kiss wrote: »

If a person is handicapped in any way then there is a VRT allowance.

kerash wrote: »
    with all the various vrt,vat etc off the price, she be paying between 3-6k.
    Presume you're buying one used then.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Presume you're buying one used then.

No, brand new...

• Advertisement

The cheapest Multispace is €19,950 plus delivery etc, lets suppose you get a bargain and end up paying €18,000 all in. VRT is about €4,500, leaving you with €13,500 including VAT. Take the VAT off that and you have €11,157.
    Add the swivel seat, which has to be at least 10% of the pre VAT price (€1,115) and you get a minimum price of around €13,500.

Where's €3-6k coming from, is there a trade in involved?

I presume your grandfather has got a primary medical cert from his doctor and he is entitled to the exemption?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

How about the Nissan Note? Would they suit?

yea, didn't post d figures cos not exactly sure, but it was (Xprice)less vrt, less vat, less trade in, less the garage discount due to irish wheelchair assoc membership, will leave bal of between 3 and 6grand. Obviously wont know exact amts till deal and all is done, but will post when I know final figures for anyone interested! I hope its a decent vehicle, 1.6 diesel, supposed to be easy on fuel...

oh and he got primary med cert, lot of rigamorole dats another story...

the Berlingo is about to be replaced AFAIK.

2008%20Citroen%20Berlingo.jpg

the current model is getting on a bit now. I know fashion isn't top of the list of priorities, but the Berlingo was first launched in 1996.
    and part of the key to VRT exemptions on the cheap is getting something that won't lose lots of money in 2 yrs. A Berlingo Multispace will not hold good vale at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭74merc

My father has had cars adapted for swivel seats and for a wheelchair. There's no problem with the swivel seats for most cars, we had a Vectra and an Astra and both were fine. The last car he had was a Fiat Doblo with a wheelchair conversion. He never liked it as it was van derived and the rear suspension was designed for carrying heavy loads. As a result it was very choppy in the back and he got travel sick in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Earth Worm Jim

I worked with rehab for a while all over Ireland and the most popular car was the vw caddy life - around 20 grand standard (i think)

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭port

Ford Focus two door will work well.Ask garage to recommed experienced wheelchair advisor to discus various options for adapting car.

Advertisement