Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBox or PS3 for GTA

Options
  • 14-02-2008 1:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭

Okay - so been a big fan of GTA from way back.

Currently trying to decide whether to purchase a PS3 or XBox for GTA IV.

Some back-ground - have had one PS and two PS2s - (mother gave one away when I was out of the country) and been happy with them

Can anyone give their opinion on the pros and cons for each?

Also if anyone has any info re special prices/bargains that would be super.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

Xbox will have 'exclusive downloadable content' for GTA IV. Not sure whatt that means though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

If you are getting the console solely for GTA IV, then I suppose the XBox360 would be the best bet as it will have 'exclusive downloadable content', as above.

But honestly, I don't think you can judge what console to get, based on one game. Weigh up the options fully before deciding.

My 2cents...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Wasnt this exact same question asked aabout a week ago? Anyway, as the others have said, the 360 will be the best for GTA, at least until the exclusive eventually turns into a timed exclusive, and is released on other formats.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

i loved the first two but i dont see what so good about these new GTA's from 3 onwards it just wasent the same.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

If you're going to buy a console just for this game, it's probably better to wait untill nearer the time it's released when reviews and comparisons for both systems are available

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The 360 has a superior game library at the moment but the PS3 seems to be improving in that respect a lot recently. I'm sure Gran Turismo will sell a pile of consoles for them.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Top Gear track tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

just a simple question,but rather ask in another way.

OP(self talking):do i like Final Fantasy series or Metal Gear Series?

for the future i can only see very few big titles exclusive for ps3(mostly will be multiplatform),check those games out and you have your answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

gta seems to be better developed on 360. gamesmaster magazine has said the ps3 version is a week behind and all the trailers of gta4 have been taken from 360.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

How can you say that GTA is better developed on the 360? Who exactly has played both to say which is better?

The XBOX 360 will have downloadable content but will it be free?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,912 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Highly doubtful!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Why would that matter when you compare it to the PS3 version which won't have the content, free or not? I for one have got no problem spending a wee bit on downloadable extras for games through Live if I think it's worth it. TBH though I'm betting the "exclusive content" will end up being a new outfit or something. To hell with that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Ok folks just to clear up a couple of things - it won't be solely for GTA IV but that would be the main purpose.

Will probably check out the other games I might have an interest in.

On a related matter how exactly does the online connection work for both models?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Xbox live works extremely well - very slick but the downside is you have to pay for it. I don't have a PS3 but as far as I'm aware PSN is free.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Dont choose which console to get based on the downloadable content. Both the PS3 and Xbox 360 will be getting downloadable content, However the 360 will be getting 2 extra missions.

Now, is it worth buying a 360 just for 2 extra missions? No.

I really think you should base your decision on the other games on the each console (both out now or coming out).

By the way, PS3M played/seen the PS3 version of the game, and they didn't mention anything about poor frame rates etc. So don't base your decision on that either, as nobody as seen both versions running side by side (except Rockstar ofc), so nobody can claim that one version is "better" than the other.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'd probably buy the 360 edition first as I prefer the controller, but if there is an issue of graphical fidelity between the two platforms then I'll go for which so ever is better looking, as I am quite quite shallow.

It is high time to put a deposit down on one too, my friends in Gamestop tell me they are taking a good number of said deposits every day now.

Personally I'd rather play a conversion of GTA SA on the Wii, with a new storyline perhaps, Hmmmm....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    It is high time to put a deposit down on one too, my friends in Gamestop tell me they are taking a good number of said deposits every day now.

Buy online, cheaper too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭DILLIGAF

eewwww GTA on an XBOX.....weird! :/ I'm not sure of 3 made it to the original XBOX did it? Anyway, I'll always associate the series with the playstation platform and/or controller. And as for exclusive content, well that's just another sign that xbox has always been slightly behind taking a large portion of the market for what is probably one of the best selling series of games ever. So they cut themselves a small deal for a mission or two in order to be "in" with the developers and seem somewhat closer or more controlling over the title. It's bragging rights and nothing more if you ask me. Playstation can be quietly confident that their black beauty will deliver as their machines always do! The playstation WILL deliver in general! Silent Hill 5, Gran Turismo, MGS4 etc etc. Yeah the shelves of the 360 section of games stores have buckets of titles, but quality and quantity are still important concepts to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

As we've seen in the past, a particular game can play very differently on the 2 consoles, Half life orange box being a case in point.There are a few things to take into account in terms of gta4.

Size: It's assumed that would be a fairly large game to squeeze onto a disk.The ps3 has a huge advantage in this field.A blu-ray can hold about 25gb.A dvd can hold just 4.7gb.That is a huge difference..It probably created a dilemma for rockstar.They had to make the two versions the same.They surely had to SQUEEZE it to the limit to fit it on a dvd for the xbox360.How good a job they did of fitting it remains to be seen????

Performance: Mass effect(360), apparently increased the risk of a 360 console gettin the rrod.Gta4, presumably would ask as much or more of a system as mass effect.Could lead to problems.....Ps3 should be able to handle it

The delay:Apparently, the reason gta4 has been delayed 6 months is because of the ps3 version.Why is this??Was the problem rectified properly???

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

eewwww GTA on a console. The game will always be a PC game to me.

As has already been said you should weigh up each console based on the type of games you like. Look at the exclusives (current and future) for each machine to see which appeals more.
    Zonda999 wrote:
    It's assumed that would be a fairly large game to squeeze onto a disk.The ps3 has a huge advantage in this field.A blu-ray can hold about 25gb.A dvd can hold just 4.7gb.That is a huge difference..It probably created a dilemma for rockstar.They had to make the two versions the same.They surely had to SQUEEZE it to the limit to fit it on a dvd for the xbox360.

Surely the Xbox can read dual layer discs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Performance: Mass effect(360), apparently increased the risk of a 360 console gettin the rrod.Gta4, presumably would ask as much or more of a system as mass effect.Could lead to problems.....Ps3 should be able to handle it
    Apparently Dead Rising, PGR 3, Halo 3, Gears of War and Crackdown also does this. Almost every game on the 360 will be using 100% of the CPU/GPU cycles constantly, a notion that one game is worse than another at causing RROD is bull.

Makaveli wrote: »

Surely the Xbox can read dual layer discs?

It does'nt to the best of my knowledge

Size: It's assumed that would be a fairly large game to squeeze onto a disk.The ps3 has a huge advantage in this field.A blu-ray can hold about 25gb.A dvd can hold just 4.7gb.That is a huge difference..It probably created a dilemma for rockstar.They had to make the two versions the same.They surely had to SQUEEZE it to the limit to fit it on a dvd for the xbox360.How good a job they did of fitting it remains to be seen????

Hasn't been a problem with any game yet, cant see how Mass Effect made any more use of the 360 CPU than a game like Gears of War, and Ive played those two games and I havent got the rrod yet. I agree with Ciaran that, that statement is bull.

The two versions of GTA IV will be almost identical, as is the case with most multi-platform titles IMO

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Of course it does. Even the old Xbox did (there are a few games out for that > 5Gb on one disk). Every DVD player that I've ever seen does. How else would they play movies (most of which come on dual layer disks).

To the OP. If you only want the console for one game get the cheapest console + game. There's not going to be much difference between the two. If you want either console to play more games then we need more info.

It does, check wikipedia

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

:rolleyes:
    Of course the 360 can read dual layer discs. Sure games like Gears, Mass Effect, COD4, they're all over 6 gigs.

Fair enough.Surely then , the ps3 can read 50gb dual layer BD's???Please dont think i'm biased toward the ps3.I own both consoles and rate the 360 a lot higher as a games machine

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Fair enough.Surely then , the ps3 can read 50gb dual layer BD's???Please dont think i'm biased toward the ps3.I own both consoles and rate the 360 a lot higher as a games machine

You'd imagine the games would be much more ahead of the 360 then if disk storage was all that mattered.

Yes I would imagine they can read dual layer Blu-Ray

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

How can you say that GTA is better developed on the 360? Who exactly has played both to say which is better?

its definitely better developed than the ps3 version at the moment. as i said, ps3 version is behind schedule compared to 360 and its been confirmed by rockstar that all the trailers are from the 360. why, because the ps3 version aint as ready. dont get me wrong, they will both end up practically the same gamplay and graphics wise bar those 2 extra 360 missions.

Advertisement