Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBox or PS3 for GTA

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Not a huge fan of MS or Sony so I'm not too biased either way. From what I've seen, in nearly all the dual next gen format games, the version on the 360 has nearly always been superior in some way (usually graphics). There are lots of articles comparing the same games on the different consoles. 360 is very cheap just got a brand new one from the UK for 160 Stg! Sonys Blu Ray is a big big feature though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭DILLIGAF

I lived in a house last year where all we did was play computer games and drink in our spare time! Good times, good times! Anyway, we had a 360 at our disposal and a 32"HD over the fireplace to boot! I always had a strange distance with the machine. If it was the controller, XBOX Live or just the splash screen that alienated me is anyones guess! What I do know, is that everyone has their comfort zone. My comes in the shape of a dual shock controller. So that's why I'll be getting GTA for the PS3 I bought instead of the XBOX 360 that I didn't! The fact that XBOX live player get some gimmic missions(we don't know if their even free yet) and that fact that the screenshots so far are from a 360 engine,in no way whatsoever,even in the smallest proportion, that Rockstar are going to release a game that is different on one console then it is on the other, when BOTH machines are capable of reaching the same power and performance.

They need to get public interest out, so it's a case of picking which screens look better right now.

It's like "**** we need some PR material.Someone gimme a 30 second long clip I can give these guys.Pick whichever one looks best right now.yeah that'll do cheers."

Not, "The playstation version is going to looks terrible, better pretend it's only coming out for the 360" :D

Basically guys, yeah I'm biased. Sony have been slow in getting games out for their console, but I have to say, and I've only owned mine for over a week, that the games I've played so far are of such a high standard, that after a year of the 360, I'm not sure there are many more for that console that I can say grabbed my attention quite this well.

So far,PS3 faves :
    Drakes Fortune(no spoilers im not finished it)
    Devil May Cry 4
    Warhawk

360 faves:
    Halo 3(finished in one((long))sitting on legendary...meh)
    Gears Of War(great then but is already looking dated)
    Crackdown

Yeah that's about all I can think of! Bang on even too! What I'm saying is, how many 360 ONLY quality games have been out so far?Not enough to substantiate claims that the machine is doing any better,performance or production wise then the more or less new born PS3!The engine hasn't been available as long as the fully supported 360 has for developers to really get their claws into creating games on it. So while Sony's team continue to improve the software given to developers to make the creation process quicker and more efficient, so will the 360 always be that little bit ahead in this area and it is something that I'm sure will balance out in time to come.

GTA 4 will be exactly the same across all formats,Rockstar have been doing this long enough to know that if they let one side down(including the 360,let's not rule out it's already evident performance issues) then it could spell the end of a large happy group of devout followers to the series.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

DILLIGAF wrote: »
    Yeah that's about all I can think of! Bang on even too! What I'm saying is, how many 360 ONLY quality games have been out so far?Not enough to substantiate claims that the machine is doing any better,performance or production wise then the more or less new born PS3!
    Mass Effect, Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata, Ace Combat 6,
    Halo, Gears of War (How it GoW looking dated?? Its the Unreal 3.0 engine :confused:)...nope, no good games there :rolleyes: (and i'm not saying that the PS3 has none...just alot less so far)

If someone has both consoles, there is no reason to get the PS3 version (that i can see). Maybe if they just prefer using the PS3. But with the exclusive content (which will probably only be some missions, and definatly wont be free), its got more to offer the the PS3 version.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

The extra content will definitely not be free. The money paid by Microsoft to Rockstar was an advance on estimated earnings from the content.

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6023&Itemid=2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Kiith wrote: »
    If someone has both consoles, there is no reason to get the PS3 version (that i can see). Maybe if they just prefer using the PS3. But with the exclusive content (which will probably only be some missions, and definatly wont be free), its got more to offer the the PS3 version.

Or if they want to play it online without paying... Which, as a student, is a pretty big deal for me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Benzino wrote: »
    Or if they want to play it online without paying... Which, as a student, is a pretty big deal for me.
    That i can understand. So assuming there is a proper multiplayer (which i'm sceptical (or possibly ignorant) about), this is a + for the PS3 version.

edit...just saw that this does have limited multiplayer. So ya, the PS3 is better, if only for the fact that it is free. Still think Live is better though, but lets not open up that can of worms again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Benzino wrote: »

You could have saved even more money by buying only one console :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

You could have saved even more money by buying only one console :D

hehe, I have both consoles and didnt pay a penny for them :p

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Will either version be region-free?

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Will either version be region-free?

I think that's more of a console feature than an option to the developer i.e Microsoft and Sony require all games to be region locked. I could be wrong on this but I really don't think I am :). I love that Nintendo ditched this. It makes no sense.

As for the PS3 havin Blu-Ray vs 360's DVD. I can't see how this could make a difference. They'll both be based on the same game engine. The graphical improvements the extra space can offer will be minimum.

Now if only I could afford either console :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

PS3 games are all region free. I think MS leaves it up to the developer so some are, some aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

stevenmu wrote: »
    PS3 games are all region free. I think MS leaves it up to the developer so some are, some aren't.

My mistake. Haven't followed things like this cause my Xbox1+XBMC is all I need :) (plus I'm too broke to buy either :( )

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I love that Nintendo ditched this. It makes no sense.

Actually, the Wii is the only one of the three that's (totally) region locked. The DS is great for region free games, but the Wii is the complete opposite.

Advertisement