Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Smoker?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Boggles wrote: »
    So to summise, Ciggs are a cure for manic depression.

Is there anything those rolled babies can't do! :)

:D.. Well there is no cure as such - just control, but it sure bloody helps calm the dam anxiety :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Suzywuzy

No, never smoked in my life and don't intend to. Stupid and expensive habit !!! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I smoke when I have a drink although recently I have started chewing nicotine gum when I have a drink and all the cravings go away. I just found that my throat was killing me the next day so I can't be bothered to smoke anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

nope, don't smoke, mad tho cos EVERYONE in my family puffed away, ma,da,gradparents, sister...
    its yucky me says

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I smoke Camel.

I like smoking.

I only smoke outdoors, or indoors if the other people there don't mind.

Non-smokers, get off your high horse, I know the risks and dangers, but I still choose to smoke.

Any smokers want access to the smoking forum, PM me. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

There was this guy in my college course who used to always be at us smokers with the usual tripe (How much we smoke, how much we spend, la la la) for 3 long years. College changed him, he turned into a crustie (grew the hair, surfer clothes and necklaces, groan!) and thought because he listened to Pink Floyd he knew everything about everything.

Recently he took up smoking because during last summer he said he got "addicted to THE DOPE" :rolleyes: and start claiming himself to be a smoker. I met him one night and being unusually nice towards him I told him 1) he wasn't a smoker and 2) get off them before gains a habit......................waste of time for an ignorant smart-ass. He kept saying he could quit anytime because "unlike most people I have the willpower" :confused: He gave them up around Xmas and the first thing he did was send me a text saying "Quit the fags, it CAN be done!"

GGGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!! I hate those fùcking crustie bastards!!

Oh, I smoke, no plans for the forseeable future to get off them and I will punch non-smokers in the face when they start calculating how much I spend on them, it's none of your fùcking business. I enjoy the smooth, relaxing taste of B&H during a hard day's work *looks at camera, holds up a 20 box, smiles and winks*

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Extraplus

Yep.

Probably around 6 a day but I will go through 20 on a night out.

I gave up for 15 months once but went back on them. I may try again eventually but I'm kinda enjoying smoking at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

No I hate it, its disgusting. My boyfriend took up smoking about a year ago and I don't kiss him any more. Even if you brush your teeth the taste is still there. He is trying to give up though. So I might get some kisses in the future.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Theres a lad on boards here who used to smoke 80 a day years ago:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

i always wonder when i see people smoking...
    if i gave you a clear liquid and on the container it said this will kill you would you still drink it????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

If it was a really enjoyable clear liquid that would take many many years to kill you, yeah, plenty would :)

I know a former trucker who smoked 100 a day and was morbidly obese. Then one day, after the bollocking to end all bollockings by his doc, he just gave up all the bad stuff - every last bit of it. Got himself a taxi-driving job and lost 15 stone! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Never smoked in my life and never will. I can not be in the same room as someone who is smoking... hence i only started going to pubs when the ban came in :D

prendy wrote: »
    i always wonder when i see people smoking...
    if i gave you a clear liquid and on the container it said this will kill you would you still drink it????

Yeah vodka is good.:D

Yeah vodka is good.:D

Vodka does work

Mythbusters ftw :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Just curious... Do you brush before kissing your g/f (or does she smoke too removing the need)? For nonsmokers to kiss a smoker, is often like kissing an ashtray.

great point and this is my motto:
    no matter how gorgeous sexy seducing female creature standing there,one single smoke will destroy her whole image,and that will make me never stand up my part for her...*sigh*do they have a name for this syndrom?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

seraphimvc wrote: »
    do they have a name for this syndrom?

It's just another aspect of the what attracts you to the opposite sex over all! Nothing wrong with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

No I hate it, its disgusting. My boyfriend took up smoking about a year ago and I don't kiss him any more. Even if you brush your teeth the taste is still there. He is trying to give up though. So I might get some kisses in the future.:)

You haven't kissed your boyfriend in a year?!? :eek: How is he still your boyfriend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Off the smokes just over a month now. Woo!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Used to smoke about 20 a day in my late teens but gave up, cos I hated waking up everymorning with the rotten stale ciggy smoke taste in my mouth. Even after brushing my teeth it was still there.

Have to admit I'd still have the odd sly smoke on a night out, those Vogues are goood :o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I don't smoke at the moment.
    I used to smoke and I loved it. I loved the taste of the cigarettes, the feel of them in my hand, I loved the whole ritual of lighting one up, I especially liked watching the smoke I exhaled.

I smoked almost 60 a day.

When I gave up (cold turkey)it wasn't because I couldn't afford them, or didn't like the taste of them, or because of any bad health side effects (bizarrely, smoking at that high a level was actually controlling an underlying condition I had). I just got really annoyed with myself that I was letting something so ridiculous control my life in many ways. It was the middle of the night, rain lashing down and I was seriously considering going out to walk about 2 miles to get myself some fags. Enough is enough I thought and that was that.

Nine years on, I miss the feel and taste of them, especially the one after a good meal - that was always the one I missed most. Kissing smokers does taste a bit, but I could put up with that. The danger of dating a smoker would be that I might slip back and have one and be back on 60 a day by the start of next week.

I did have lots more money when I stopped though. I also got quite sick, but that was to do with the underlying condition and is a whole other story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

Only ever smoke after dinner and sex. Last year i smoked 365

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Dun laoire wrote: »
    Only ever smoke after dinner and sex. Last year i smoked 365
    Considering you probably have dinner every day.... doesn't leave much room for teh sex.

Goodshape wrote: »
    Considering you probably have dinner every day.... doesn't leave much room for teh sex.

No considering about it fella i gets my dinner every single day. My mammy makes lovely dinner for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Dun laoire wrote: »
    No considering about it fella i gets my dinner every single day. My mammy makes lovely dinner for me

...and makes lovely sex for me :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

40 a day.
    Started out of curiousity.
    I wanted to see what an addiction was like.
    21 years on, I'm quite aware of the power of addictions.

I try to quit every day. I usually last about 30 minutes at the most.

I'm a casual smoker I smoke only when I drink
    I have went weeks without even realising I haven’t had one sometimes
    My two bosses, colleague and boyfriend have recently given up and have said why don't I ?
    I have managed 6 years like this and I like my odd cigarette so No
    I have rarely ever got through more than 10 a week

Terry wrote: »
    40 a day.
    Started out of curiousity.
    I wanted to see what an addiction was like.
    21 years on, I'm quite aware of the power of addictions.

I try to quit every day. I usually last about 30 minutes at the most.

I tried at new years too.

I lasted about 2 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭redfacedbear

Yep I smoke

I kid myself that I keep to 20 a day but that's only if I make an effort to watch what I'm smoking - 4-5 days a week I probably hit the 30 mark.

Camel Blue ftw!

DesF wrote: »
    ...and makes lovely sex for me :D

Thats below the belt Des

• Advertisement

the dee wrote: »
    You haven't kissed your boyfriend in a year?!? :eek: How is he still your boyfriend?

I will kiss him but no tongue thank you if he has been smoking. I have once in a blue moon when he has been trying to give up for a few days or that . But no tongue if he had been which is 70% of the time. It's his own fault so he can't exactly complain, he knows how much I hate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

I will kiss him but no tongue thank you if he has been smoking. I have once in a blue moon when he has been trying to give up for a few days or that . But no tongue if he had been which is 70% of the time. It's his own fault so he can't exactly complain, he knows how much I hate it.

There's nothing worse than non-smokers being on your back about quitting and smelling bad and health etc. Makes us feel bad and like you less. I'm surprised he puts up with that and / or that he's still smoking.

the dee wrote: »
    There's nothing worse than non-smokers being on your back about quitting and smelling bad and health etc. Makes us feel bad and like you less. I'm surprised he puts up with that and / or that he's still smoking.

Meh I don't nag him at all, actually we don't really talk about it much, he just doesnt get any kisses. Why should I if I find it disgusting? As I said he is trying to quit but is finding it quite difficult as it is his final year and very stressful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

On the 21st of this month I will be off smoking one year :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

HOLY ****!!! :eek:

Look at the amount of people that don't smoke!!! Jaysis!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

65% - seems the norm. Going by all the places I've worked in, only a small number of people smoked in every case.
    Actually 65% seems quite low. So 35% of us here smoke - wow, that's a lot.

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    HOLY ****!!! :eek:

Look at the amount of people that don't smoke!!! Jaysis!!!

I think it's horrible...
    I tried it once

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

I smoke 20+ a day, have done with years, and don't have a desire to quit. I can however give them up for 9 months without question or craving (when i'm pregnant). Must be hormonal ...if only i could bottle and sell that without the end result of the pregnancy ;)

bluewolf wrote: »
    I think it's horrible...
    I tried it once

It's soooo relaxin........:D

• Advertisement

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    It's soooo relaxin........:D

but you can feel all the crap going into your chest and clogging it
    urgh
    *shudder*

bluewolf wrote: »
    but you can feel all the crap going into your chest and clogging it
    urgh
    *shudder*

yea, at first, but then it gets soooooo gooood....haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Krsnik87

I quit a month ago when I found out it was bad for you. I stayed off them cause I;m rich now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭whatsgoinon

i started smoking at 14, I'm 28 now, i tried to give up once during my first stint at uni but I turned into an antichrist and my housemates bought me 10 marlboro lights to calm me down. Gave up for 3 months and only went back on them on the 10th of january, finishing off this pack and going off them again.
    The most i was smoking a day was 20 and up to 60 on a night out, I was living in a country where smokes were cheap and there would be war if a smoking ban was introduced

rb_ie wrote: »
    It was created for a reason.

You just wait and see where this thread goes.

No where yet by the looks of it.

Its been a good thread and has returned a decent amount of votes to give a representative sample.

Im not shocked by the % of non smokers, seems normal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Me? Smoke?

Never. I'm way to cool for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

I manage to keep it to less than 5 aday, unless I'm out drinking in which case it's 10 or 15. Much like alcohol I think you just have to be careful not to overdo it. If you do that then you have to give up altogether, which is a bit of a shame. I say sticking to strong cigarettes is the key. It's too easy to smoke tons of light cigarettes and you tend to inhale them more deeply rather than just enjoying the taste.

Advertisement