Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loan for Higher Education

Options
  • 14-02-2008 1:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭

Hey all. I hope this is the right place, I have a few questions with regard to financing further education. All opinions welcome.

I'm a business student in my final year at undergraduate level. I'd like to pursue a Masters in Business. The good news is that I've found a course that appeals to me, and that I'd consider myself quite capable academically.

The bad news is that it's gonna cost about €11,500, probably closer to €12K with books and materials. I don't want to ask my parents for a loan, as this is more a matter of personal pride - I think it's time I started paying my way a little bit. I suppose the most logical thing to do is visit my local branch and talk nicely with someone there, though I'm hugely worried about the implications of borrowing what I consider to be a large some of money without much in the way of collateral; scratch that, without ANYTHING in the way of collateral. Will I need someone to sign-off as a guarantour? Moreover, what sort of repayment plan would be expected of me?

I should fill in some of the background - as a student of business, I'll most likely end up in some form of office work, probably within the financial services sector. I've worked summer internships with AIB and Goodbody Stockbrokers. As I'm in my final year, I've been under quite a bit of pressure with classes, and have missed most of the recruitment deadlines. Certain people I know who wish to study Accountancy have been generously sponsored by the Big Four companys that they've signed for. Accountancy is not, nor ever will it be, my 'thing'.

Am I wasting my time even thinking about a loan? I've no credit record, good or bad - didn't go down the whole Student Loan route. I'm pretty stressed about this right now, if anyone could just reply and throw some opinions out, for better or worse, I'd appreciate it.

Advertisement