Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Design Quotes?

Options
  • 14-02-2008 2:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭

Hey, i've completed a very tidy design for a franchise with 30 stores around ireland. Its a friend of mines contract, he is doing all the code and so on. How much should i quote for my design? I've also jazzed up their corperate logo a little, its the same logo, but much nicer imo (id like to pitch it to them tbh).

I've put a good 2 days into my work, come up with 10 or so layout's and styles and the final product is bits from each one. Ive just looked at the clock, its 1:30, i started work today at 4. I ended yesterday at the same time but started at 1. I dont know if its an hourly rate thing, or the work done or what not. Im a very fast worker btw, this is imo a weeks work to other people.

How do you charge? And what should i?

Again, its only the design - every bit it is as required from the prerequsites put forward.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Well, set it so that you have an hourly rate of €x, then how much time did you spend working on it, lets say 24hours, so go:

24hrs * €x = ANS
    + expenses(whatever else you had to pay).

Thats generally the way I do it.

I charge €10 per hour, and if extraordinary(:D) skills are required, then I charge about 15 euro per hour I spend working on that.

I dunno, thats just the way I do it, I'm not suggesting €10 euro as a figure, I'm just suggesting it as an example, I know other web developers here who would have a totally different way of doing things...

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

Don't charge by the hour - charge by what it's worth. Read this:

http://freelanceswitch.com/money/how-much-is-your-time-worth/

Rgds, Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

Cheers Nevf!
    DJB wrote: »

Rgds, Dave

Excellent read dave, and it really did get the words into my mouth that i was previously struggling to shape. Never the less i am doing this for a friend, which makes it very hard to charge him a good price. Although there is a very healthy wage for the project, im still stuck with what to charge. The site was good at saying "dont sell yourself short" but i kinda need to know what the going rate is. This site isnt for a small business as such, its well established.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

DJB wrote: »

Rgds, Dave
    Thanks Dave, very interesting read.
    You get better at what you do—sometimes a lot better—with time. A web site might take you five hours today when, two years ago, it may have taken twenty. But if you charge by the hour, as you get better and spend less time, you will earn less instead of more. Does that make sense?
    Yeh, it does make sense.... and I'm guilty... :D

Regards,
    Nev

Advertisement