Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone for a 'Snuggle Party'?!?!

• 14-02-2008 5:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=379789
    Singles embrace cuddle parties

As internet dating sites cash in on Valentine's Day, the antidote to virtual relationships has hit Australia — cuddle parties.

Organisers of the non-sexual "snuggle workshops" claim they bring about togetherness in a way the online world never could.

As more Australians turn to social networking, physical contact has fallen by the wayside, according to Australian cuddle party organiser, Anne Hunter.

"As human beings we have a biological need for touch which isn't met by online interaction," Ms Hunter said.

"We all need a certain amount of safe, nurturing, non-sexual touch — and most people don't get enough of it."

The living-room gatherings involve a welcome circle, ice-breaking exercises, holding hands, cuddling, spooning, back rubbing and massage.

The pyjama-clad participants are graded as "cautious-cuddlers", or "confident-cuddlers".

The confident ones end in a "puppy pile", where two or three layers of people lie on top of each other and giggle or sing.

"Most touch in our society is sexualised — only 'allowed' in the context of a sexual relationship," Ms Hunter said.

"Most people avoid touch for fear of being misunderstood in their intentions."

The parties started in the US in 2004 and the trend has since expanded to Britain and now Australia, where participants pay $20-30 for the privilege of touching others.

"I think a lot of people have experienced disappointment with online dating in meeting the date face-to-face," Ms Hunter said.

"[Cuddle parties] can offer people a safe space in which to be more themselves and more authentic with other people and I suspect that would facilitate more promising connections."

Around 1.2 million Australians access personal dating sites each month, according to Nielsen NetRatings.

A relationship expert from the Australian dating website RSVP said online dating lacked certain physical elements.

"You might have a great email and phone call but until you meet face to face you don't know if that chemistry factor will be there," Lija Jarvis said.

But she said the real advantage to online dating was its ability for relationship-seekers to "have some control over their destiny".

"People can use technology to its advantage; they can narrow down their search [for a partner] and be specific."

But Ms Jarvis didn't rule out cuddle parties as a future event for singles.

"If the demand for cuddle parties was there, that would certainly be something we'd consider introducing into our mix," she said.

So who's gaff is hosting the first boards.ie snuggle party?! :D *

*sex will be optional

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Bizarre.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭merritt

I wanna be in a puppy pile so I can giggle and sing!

(It's that kind of morning...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

merritt wrote: »
    I wanna be in a puppy pile so I can giggle and sing!

That's one of the bits I was about to comment on .... lie on top of each other and giggle and sing? ..... *raised eyebrow* .... I'm all for hugs but .. dunno bout that lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Think I'll just head to the pub, thanks!

Payday ftw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

A cuddle party sounds good if it's in Australia!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

I blame the Free Hugs orginsation for these kind of shennagians!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Id do it, but the first dude to get a stiffy wil get the hatchet to the head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

Well I know what to plan for my next birthday so!

I blame the Free Huns orginsation for these kind of shennagians!

What have the Huns got to do with this :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

<_<

>_>

I dunno what your talking about!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

Is farting against the rules of these parties??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

slumped wrote: »
    Farting is the 'safe word'. Things get too hectic, let fly.

slumped wrote: »

If you feel somthing "stiff" rubbing of yer forehead.. go skunk and clear the area :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Drift

snyper wrote: »
    Id do it, but the first dude to get a stiffy wil get the hatchet to the head.

Lying in a pile of giggling young ones* in my boxers and t-shirt. I can't see how a stiffy could be avoided!!

*Drift's cuddle party will obviously only contain one man; Drift.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

They consider spooning non-sexual? I know a lot of people who would disagree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I'm getting a boner just thinking about all that spooning and touching!
    Ooooh baby *fap fap fap*

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

as long as theres no pyjama wearing cnuts with their howayas im interested :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

They have a similar organisation in Dun Laoghaire. Personally i think it's a bit wierd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

So it's an orgy but also not an orgy.

OK.

Advertisement