Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bluebell season meetup?

• 14-02-2008 10:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭

Hi All, I know that next weeks meetup is still to come, but I'm wondering if there is any interest in a boards photo outing during bluebell season. The exact timing would depend on the weather between now and then but given the early spring so far I think maybe the last weekend in April could be penciled in.

As for location I was thinking of (local to me) Kilanthomas Wood, in Rathangan, Co Kildare. After the bluebells we would have reasonable choice of local places to visit, the grand canal, the bog of allen, the Cathedral and round tower in Kildare town, Japanese Gardens and the National Stud.

Anybody interested?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

yup I'd be interested alright. Got the chance to take some shots of bluebells in the highlands last year. None really turned out that good so would love a chance again. I'm free for most of the latter part of April.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

Yes, yes and yes :D Only had a couple of shots of some bluebells, and wished I'd made it to a proper bluebell forest last year when I saw your shots!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

provisionally.. (depending on date picked) I'm in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

Yes from me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Hell yeah, as long as it's not near the 14th because that's the date we face the scummers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

count me as well pretty bluebell please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭RoryW

subject to date selected, count me in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

Great, it looks like this is a runner, timing really depends on the weather between now and then, but late April would be a good bet.
    I'll bump this in a month or so and see if anyone else is interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

RoryW wrote: »
    subject to date selected, count me in

Likewise!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭countryjimbo

Definitely interested in this, especially as I live right in the middle of all the locations you suggested :)

Let me know if you need any help organising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭Monasette

Sounds good.

for anyone in the west (and that can't make the Kildare trip), I usually go out to Portumna Woods in Galway to shoot bluebells in May - anyone else interested in making a trip of it. It won't clash - the bluebells seem to appear later in the west (like the humans in Galway, they're not good at getting up early)

BR,
    John

Definitely interested in this, especially as I live right in the middle of all the locations you suggested :)

Let me know if you need any help organising.

Cheers Jim.
    Monasette wrote: »
    Sounds good.

for anyone in the west (and that can't make the Kildare trip), I usually go out to Portumna Woods in Galway to shoot bluebells in May - anyone else interested in making a trip of it. It won't clash - the bluebells seem to appear later in the west (like the humans in Galway, they're not good at getting up early)

BR,
    John

I just had a quick look, last year I took my bluebell shots on 22th and 29th of April, in 2006 it was 11th and 15th of May, so really your guess is as good as mine, its been a mild year so far though.

From my experience the night life tends to be better in Galway, I never can get up too early when I'm there.;)

OK, just a quick update, I took a quick walk down the woods this morning and there are already some bluebells showing themselves off but the main peak is still several weeks off, either the week before the bank holiday or the holiday weekend itself, all subject to the weather in the next few weeks of course.
    I'll keep an eye on progress and keep ye all up to date, I'm not going anywhere over the next couple of weeks so whatever date suits folks will suit me.

A couple from this morning to whet your appetite

2409424889_8395acff89.jpg

2410269552_01e824b0a0.jpg

2410240720_f0f5cb6fba.jpg

2409401855_9e042c7196.jpg

I was in JFK Arboretum a couple of weeks ago there was alot of growth under the trees they're lovely pictures. I can't wait get out there and take some shots

:D

Keep us posted!

I took a walk down the woods yesterday evening, things have hardly moved on at all, its looking like the bank holiday weekend or the following weekend, if that would suit folks that are still interested.

Its been a late spring so far, the swallows that nest in our farmyard only arrived yesterday, eight days later than has been normal over the last five or six years.

Yep still on for this alright. They're all out in the botanic gardens, saw them on Sunday just gone.

Bank Holiday weekend does not suit me so if you do meet up then, I may go down the following weekend.

The Bank Holiday weekend doesn't suit me either unfortunately

I'm not going anywhere, the date is up to the folks who want to come, though it would be a pity if the show was past its best, still should be OK on the 10th/11th.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

nilhg wrote: »
    Its been a late spring so far, the swallows that nest in our farmyard only arrived yesterday, eight days later than has been normal over the last five or six years.

Keeping a log eh? :)

10/11th is perfect for me

Cabaal wrote: »
    Keeping a log eh? :)

Tis in my general interest to keep an eye on these things.:D

Could this be "sticky'd" as the next meet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Should it not be moved to the new expeditions sub-forum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Going to swing this across into our new sub-forum :)

OK, can I take it that this is going ahead on the 10th or 11th?
    I was down the woods a few days ago and think that things should still be OK then.

Would folks that are coming like just spend a hour or two in the woods or like to make a (half) day of it? There are a few places to go round about if folks want.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Dink

Think I'll make this, nothing on for that weekend! I rather do the half day, get to see some more of the country!! Haven't been down that way in a while!

Yes I am around the 10th and 11th, will have to see can I grab a lift with someone though.

• Advertisement

I'd say a half day and move on someplace else I haven't been to that part of the country in while.

Closer the time can you give directions I'll be coming from the Waterford area

A update folks, I had some stuff to do monday evening in Monasterevin so I took the opportunity to have a stroll around Moore Abbey wood, on the southern side of the hill things were considerably more advanced than in Kilanthomas, possibly getting near their peak.

2454172391_9dfe266eba.jpg

2454156235_6574de8d29.jpg

I'll get out to Kilanthomas to have a look this evening or in the morning to see how things are going, and update then.

If you really want to get some of these sort of shots please don't depend on this meetup, have a look in your local area as well, things can change quite quickly

I'll post up directions to Moore Abbey and Kilanthomas later.

nilhg wrote: »

I'll post up directions to Moore Abbey and Kilanthomas later.

Thanks a mill, I might try and head out somewhere like here this weekend too. I'd still be on for the following weekend too.

Moore Abbey is on the Monasterevin to Athy road just out side Monasterevin town, on the linked map its just before the road crosses the motorway.

Once you are in the wood follow the path up the hill, the bluebells are around to the left.

Kilanthomas wood is about 1.5 miles from Rathangan town on the Edenderry road, there is a sign post directing you down a lane not shown on the linked map, (if you reach the Bord Na Mona works you have gone too far), ther is plenty of parking at the end of the lane.

Once you pass the barrier into the wood, take the left path, then the next left turn. You will then come to a sign "Bluebell Way" with an arrow to the right, there are some bluebells down there but the best show is the opposite side down a narrow path through the trees, follow that for 100 m or so.

At the moment the best show is in Moore Abbey but hopefully by our meeting Kilanthomas will be in full bloom, and the wild garlic as well.

Just wondering is there any schedule for this? Just the woods or going onto the other attractions after?

whyulittle wrote: »
    Just wondering is there any schedule for this? Just the woods or going onto the other attractions after?

It wiil be totally up to the folks who come, the consensus above seems to be for a half day, but we can do whatever suits on the day, hopefully the weather will play its part.

Have you anything in particular in mind?

• Advertisement

I don't. I'm just going to be down in Newbridge for a match on Friday night, so if there were a few things on on the Saturday, I'd probably stay over.

It looks at this stage as if Sunday will suit me better than Saturday, I would be OK for the morning but would have to run at some stage sat afternoon.

At this stage maybe folks thinking of travelling could post again here, and we will arrange a start time and somewhere to meet.

I was down there weekend just gone and I'll be down again this weekend. Either day suits me.

Sunday's better for me... lift going from southside too in that case...

The weather is looking much better for Sunday so I'm going to head down then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I live beside Glendalough and can confirm its Bluebell season here too, realy exploding out last few days, very very nice to see.
    This doesnt last for long so grab yer camera's and get snapping :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

gah, double booked - i take it back :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Is there anywhere worth a look in the Dublin region? Only I have to stay in the Dublin area for work reasons this weekend.

Calina wrote: »
    Is there anywhere worth a look in the Dublin region? Only I have to stay in the Dublin area for work reasons this weekend.

Define dublin region? I thought that it streched to Mullingar and Portlaoise, or has that died with the Tiger?;)

We're about 35/40 minutes from the Red Cow in normal traffic, if thats any good to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Not really. Am northside based.

oh well...

such is life right now I guess.

Ok, its time we tied this down, I'm going to say we aim for mid morning on Sunday, I have no problem with going later than this but, if the weather is good (and the forecast is), there's likley to be loads of other folks about.

Is meeting in Rathangan at 10.30 to be in the woods setting up by 11.00 too early for folks travelling?

Anybody thinking of coming should PM me and I will reply back with my mobile number.

I'll stick directions up later for anyone not sure of where they're going.

As much as I've been looking forward to this I won't be able to make it. I have to go to Mayo to visit my mum who's in hospital.

Next time, next time .......

Back home, won't be at this.

As much as I've been looking forward to this I won't be able to make it. I have to go to Mayo to visit my mum who's in hospital.

Next time, next time .......

OK, your folks have to come first.
    whyulittle wrote: »
    Back home, won't be at this.

No problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Bella_Blue_Star

Hi,
    I've just joined Boards - and would love to come on the photo expedition tomorrow. The bluebell pics are great. Are you open to newcomers???

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement