Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registering an Irish domain name .ie, newbie help needed please

Options
  • 14-02-2008 10:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I was going to post this in the Web Hosting section but I see that's been closed. I don't know much about computers/internet so I've got a basic question for ye. Friend of mine wants to set up a new business, she wants to register the business name as www.suchandsuchaname.ie. How does this process begin? Is there an official/recognised site to register Irish domain names?

At this point in time all she is looking to do is to protect the name, not actually set up a website, although this will happen at a future date.

Thanks for any help :)

John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nikimere

Hi John,

You cannot register a domain name as a business name. She could just register Such And Such Name as the business name then apply for the www.suchandsuchname.ie once the business name has be accepted

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

It would only take a few days for the business name to be accepted and if it's accepted, then the domain will be safe anyway because unless it's a (forget the word) name that could fit a broad range of Irish businesses, like "poker", and instead was a name like VanTasks, then she would be seen to have more rights to that name.

I think ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭CoNfOuNd

The registrar for IE domains is the IEDR.

You can register directly with them but they recommend you register through a reseller. Direct registration is often more expensive.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

John your friend needs to take a number of steps.

Register the business name with the cro

Once thats done she will recieve a registration number for the business.

If she then goes to any number of the domain and hosting resellers, i would recommend Blacknight myself and fills out the domain registration for the .ie domain. Part of the registration requires she have the RBN which is the number from the step above.

At that stage she has the domain registered for a yr and can leave it sitting there until she is ready to put a site on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

You can also put the registration in immediately - you then have 45 days to supply the documentation (this ensures the name is 'reserved' for you right away).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

You can also put the registration in immediately - you then have 45 days to supply the documentation (this ensures the name is 'reserved' for you right away).
    30 days you mean :)

Unless you get it provisionally accepted - which gives you 8 weeks ....

Advertisement