Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xtra Vision ripped me off.

Options
  • 14-02-2008 10:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Folks,just a quick question.I was in Xtra Vision Baggot street yesterday and bought a CD for 13.95,have receipt.Then as I was leaving I realised the sleeve was dirty so I looked around for a replacement.In doing so I found the same CD marked at 11.95 so brought it back up and asked for the 2 euro back.The girl who had served me was fine with that and swopped the cd into the cleaner 11.95 cd case and went about refunding me my 2 euro.She had to consult a more experienced collegue and he said that as the system said it was 13.95 that that was the price he had to sell it to me at.I said to him that according to consumer law I was entitled to get the 11.95 price.Am I right or wrong?Its purely a matter of principal at this stage.Thanks for your help.R

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I'm pretty sure they are right. AFAIR the price shown is not a contract and not binding. Some shops offer a free sale where this happens, but that's just PR on their part.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

The 13.95 or the 11.95 pricetags are known as "an invitation to treat". It's not a contract. If you see something with a certain pricetag you can offer that price for the good.

If the cd had been priced at 1c and you had offered that, they can say, "sorry the system says the pricetag is wrong, it should be 13.95".

So basically they are entitled to say that the 13.95 was the correct price and that the 11.95 pricetag is wrong.

But if you're unhappy you could just ask for all of your money back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You're wrong. The miss-price on the 2nd case does not entitle you to any refund. You were told the correct price at the till, when buying the correctly priced disc. Even if you had the mis-priced one, as long as they told you, before you bought it, that the price was wrong, you wouldn't be entitled to it at the lower cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

preacher31 wrote: »
    I said to him that according to consumer law I was entitled to get the 11.95 price.Am I right or wrong?

Don't quote law unless you know what you are talking about. Can you name this consumer law you reffered to or did you make it up? (sorry if that's harsh :)).

It doesn’t matter if the price on the CD case was 1c or €100, the price you pay is the price at the till.
    Of course you can complain about misleading prices and they will be forced to correct that but it won’t get you a different price

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

So Xtra-vision didn't "rip you off" :mad:

Xtra-vision mispriced one of their CDs and then told you about the correct price when you inquired about it. :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Gillser

Information on goods services and prices protects the consumer and states that prices displayed must be correct.... however if a mistake occurs the shop does not have to sell you the item at the advertised price. Bit mean though - most retailers would give it to you at the cheaper price as it was their mistake...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

micmclo wrote: »
    Don't quote law unless you know what you are talking about. Can you name this consumer law you reffered to or did you make it up? (sorry if that's harsh :)).

Sometimes it can be sufficient to just say "The Consumer Protection and Unlawful Pricing Act of 2004 specifically states that; in the event of two different prices being displayed for the same product, the business is obliged to sell to the consumer at the lowest of the prices displayed"

- Is there a Consumer Protection and Unlawful Pricing Law of 2004?
    - If there is, does it say this?

I don't know, and the shop assistant definitely doesn't know :). All you have to do is sound convincing enough, and make the law sound ominous enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Until the shop assistant tells you they are studying for a law degree in college and they work in xtravision part-time

Then you get owned! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

There is a huge problem in Xtra-Vision of people changing the stickers. Taking a cheaper sticker off an item and placing it on a more expensive item. Then trying to claim they are entitled to the cheaper price. That is not the law. Price tags are an invitation to treat as someone else mentioned. So you weren't "ripped off". Some places will give you the cheaper price,but they are not legally obliged to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

micmclo wrote: »
    Until the shop assistant tells you they are studying for a law degree in college and they work in xtravision part-time

Then you get owned! :D

Wouldn't be the first time. 2 people I have worked with in the past were doing law degrees and just making a few bob while in college. Same as myself really (except for the law degree part,I'm stuck with a Sociology masters,which you can't really use for anything :D)

• Advertisement
Advertisement