Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nurburgring experiences

Options
  • 14-02-2008 10:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

Paying this place my first visit soon enough for a lap of honour.

I'm going to be getting a rental car and taking it but I'm not too sure if thats the best idea. Going to use masking tape on the number plate and surrounds. Will that be enough?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 4JayZee

I've been many times but I don't recommend taking a standard rental out. If its a busy weekend, lots of video and pictures will be taken and, in the past, simply being in the 'Ring car park has gotten renters into trouble.

That said, plenty of people do it, including some I've travelled with in the past. They've always gotten away with it so I guess you might too?

The marshalls definetly won't allow you out with obscured plates so I'd steer well clear of that.

Try these guys;

www.rent-racecar.de

Enjoy the trip and drive safely - its an amazing place.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

If you take a rental car, they will almost certainly have a clause in their insurance that will prohibit you driving on the ring. If you crash you'll be liable for the full cost of repairs. And as for the obscured plates, what's the reason for that?

I really hope you're not what your user name implies you are :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Hmmmm...
    Ben Lovejoy's excellent site provided this information:
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Almost all car hire companies exclude use on the Ring. We believe they pay a bounty to local employees who spot rental cars in the car-park or on the photo sites.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Penalties include[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] an additional €2000 charged to your credit card for tyre and brake wear (Avis is known for this) and a worldwide ban on hiring their cars (Hertz does this).[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Fortunately[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] there are now companies that rent DRTs (Dedicated Ring Toys).[/FONT]

I've also heard from other sources that the car hire companies are indeed very serious about people taking their hire car around the Nurburgring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Garda_boss

I really hope you're not what your user name implies you are
    Yes, I'm a community policeman for travellers.

Well obscuring a small section of the plates is just so they can't hit me up with photographic evidence.
    I'm planning on driving the road just like any other really as I don't want any crashes or nasty experiences and I actually respect the rental car.

4Jayzee, what tactics did your friends use. Rental companies, locations etc?

Ps too young for track car rental.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Too young to rent a race car & trying to outwit the efficiency of the Germans! You'll be lucky to get away with it! The other thing to remember is that it's not only your driving on the 'Ring you have to worry about, it's the other lunatics!!

I hope when you come back you let us know how you got on. This has disaster written all over it.......

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Your going to take a rental car onto a racetrack and take it handy?

The other thing to remember is that it's not only your driving on the 'Ring you have to worry about, it's the other lunatics!!
    Thats my only real worry.

The ring is not really a race track either and yes I do plan on taking it relatively handy. I don't want to **** up the brakes or clutch on the car and will treat her is if she's my own.

I'm fairly sure its a bmw 525d that I will be renting.

Garda_boss wrote: »
    Well obscuring a small section of the plates is just so they can't hit me up with photographic evidence.
    As said before, the marshals won't even let you on the track like that.

If you really want to experience the ring, maybe the best way is just to take a ride in one of the Ring Taxi's .. you might even meet the (in)famous Sabine Schmitz who was on Top Gear :)

Alun wrote: »
    As said before, the marshals won't even let you on the track like that.

If you really want to experience the ring, maybe the best way is just to take a ride in one of the Ring Taxi's .. you might even meet the (in)famous Sabine Schmitz who was on Top Gear :)
    You need to book well in advance. I doubt the marshalls will notice. I'm only going to join the dots of a few letters.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

popcornsmiley.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Just imagine that through no fault of your own you get involved in an accident, totalling the car (a daily occurance on the ring)

Youd' be paying back the rental company for years to come.

Its a fair point but I'm sure they couldnt pursue you for all that money if it wasnt your fault. And even if they could how are they going to get the money off me. A quick change of address etc and I'm untraceable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

This reminds me of the BMW M5 thread. Are we going to be seeing this in the local papers at some point in the future?

Its a fair point but I'm sure they couldnt pursue you for all that money if it wasnt your fault. And even if they could how are they going to get the money off me. A quick change of address etc and I'm untraceable.

Sorry? What? I think you need to rethink this :rolleyes:

Your Boards.ie name is at odds with everything you have mentioned so far:

- illegally using a rental car on the 'Ring
    - Falsifying number plates
    - intention to commit fraud
    - going into hiding!

I really don't think all this risk is worth ~ 15 minutes of fun!

Have a re-think of it, maybe buy a car & bring it with you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Yes, I'm a community policeman for travellers.
    What exactly is that?

Your Boards.ie name is at odds with everything you have mentioned so far:

- illegally using a rental car on the 'Ring
    - Falsifying number plates
    - intention to commit fraud
    - going into hiding!

I really don't think all this risk is worth ~ 15 minutes of fun!

Have a re-think of it, maybe buy a car & bring it with you?
    I don;t think there is anything illegal about using a rental car on the Nurburgring. Against the terms of certain rental companies but that doesn't make it illegal Einstein.

I don;t think there is anything illegal about using a rental car on the Nurburgring. Against the terms of certain rental companies but that doesn't make it illegal Einstein.

You sign a contract when you take a rental. You want to break that contract and think you can get away with it? It will only end badly...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Its a fair point but I'm sure they couldnt pursue you for all that money if it wasn't your fault. And even if they could how are they going to get the money off me. A quick change of address etc and I'm untraceable.

Garda_boss, you're dead right. Why would a rental company go after you for the full cost of their car if you wrecked it driving around a ring that you're not insured to dive on. I mean, that would just be crazy, right?

And even is this bizzaro alternative universe came to be where companies actually went after significant amounts of money legally owed to them, how would they ever find you if you simply changed your address? It's not as if they'd have a copy of your driving licence, passport and credit card details, right?

You follow your dream, and don't mind the begrudgers or little inconveniences like laws and reality.

:rolleyes:

haha...

How do you propose to rent the car in the first place?

Under an alias, with fake ID and a fake driving licence?

You do a runner on the cost and you will have an international arrest warrant on your back before you know it.
    Rental companies have no qualms about going the whole hog when it comes to getting their money back ...plus they'll charge you for all their efforts on top of the cost of the car.

• Advertisement

LOL Einstein!! :D It IS illegal to breach a contract i.e. breach a contract with the rental comany!!

There's only one Einstein around here pal!!! :D:D:D:D:D;)

peasant wrote: »
    haha...

How do you propose to rent the car in the first place?

Under an alias, with fake ID and a fake driving licence?

You do a runner on the cost and you will have an international arrest warrant on your back before you know it.
    Rental companies have no qualms about going the whole hog when it comes to getting their money back ...plus they'll charge you for all their efforts on top of the cost of the car.
    Real name, real licence. But I change house every 6 months, nobody can fix me down and they have tried in the past.
    An international arrest warrant? Are you joking? If the rental company came to me looking for 70K they would be getting zero I can assure you.

I smell a troll :)

LOL Einstein!! :D It IS illegal to breach a contract i.e. breach a contract with the rental comany!!

There's only one Einstein around here pal!!! :D:D:D:D:D;)
    You don't know jack about law then. A contract isn't law its a contract. I've sued a rental company in the past successfully despite them mentioning a contract.

Right, I'm not responding anymore, it's obviously a troll as nobody... nobody can be that clueless surely?

Mena wrote: »
    Right, I'm not responding anymore, it's obviously a troll as nobody... nobody can be that clueless surely?
    Right I will come back here in a months time and let you know how I got on. Please don't bother pming me again.

You don't know jack about law then. A contract isn't law its a contract. I've sued a rental company in the past successfully despite them mentioning a contract.

There is laws associated with entering into a contract. I have studied contract law. You obviously have not. If you breach a contract you are breaking a law.

Best of luck with your plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

But I change house every 6 months, nobody can fix me down and they have tried in the past.

Well, they could just look under the nearest bridge. That's where you guys live, right ;)

It you breach a contract you are breaking a law.
    What if your contract says you must kill 10 people and if you don't you are breaching it? Are you breaking the law then Einstein? Exactly, back of the net.
    I've been to court before with rental companies and I have the scalps to prove it.

• Advertisement

Ok ...I'll type very slowly this time, so maybe you will understand: :D

Once they have your name and driving licence number it is only a matter of pulling some strings (and throwing some money around) to get your pps number and current address(es).

These companies employ their own lawyers and have no problems spending a few thousands in lawyer hours to ensure that their title is enforcable against you. Especially so within the EU. They'll set an Irish debt collecting agency on your back for example.

And they'll bill you for that as well.

But if you don't believe me ...just drive a rental car into a wall on the ring and find out for yourself ...

Advertisement