Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shrubs that like wet ground

Options
  • 14-02-2008 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have two large beds in my garden. One area is quite wet though. I have lost some heebee red tips and I reckon it is because they drowned.

Can anyone recomment any shrubs that like wet ground?
    I would like something that would blend in with my other trees/shrubs:
    Hornbeam, Mountain Ash, Scots Pine, Wild Crab Apple, dogwoods, etc.

Thanks,
    P.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

prospect wrote: »
    Hi,

I have two large beds in my garden. One area is quite wet though. I have lost some heebee red tips and I reckon it is because they drowned.

Thanks,
    P.

How about some weeping willow?
    All willow species like water and are good at using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭sculptor

Willows are the first to come to mind, take a leaf out of natures book
    ( is that a mixed metaphor?) and go for a walk somewhere wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

sculptor wrote: »
    take a leaf out of natures book
    ( is that a mixed metaphor?) and go for a walk somewhere wet.

That is good advice, however I would not be good at identifing trees and shrubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭gerrytack@hotma

CJhaughey wrote: »
    How about some weeping willow?
    All willow species like water and are good at using it.
    cj you seem to know your stuff i'm wondering if you can help me.i have cut down a small tree to near its base but i cant get near its roots because its in an awkward place.is there any substance i can put on the 'cut' part to prevent it from growing?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

prospect wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks,
    P.

Bamboos will do well in wet soil providing site isn't too exposed, many varieties to choose from but look at natural clumpers rather than spreading types. Arundaria Simba is excellent choice, evergreen and only grows to 1.8m (H) but there are shorter varieties also.

Viburnum Davidii would also be a useful low growing shrub, <1.0m Ht and spread.

Whatabout Prunus Otto Luyken, excellent bush, medium, ht but spreads to 2.0-3.0m, can be trimmed.

A classy maneable evergreen is also Prunus Lusitanica.

There you are, spoilt for choice:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

Bamboos will do well in wet soil providing site isn't too exposed, many varieties to choose from but look at natural clumpers rather than spreading types. Arundaria Simba is excellent choice, evergreen and only grows to 1.8m (H) but there are shorter varieties also.

Did you mean Fargesia murielae 'Simba'?

Whatabout Prunus Otto Luyken, excellent bush, medium, ht but spreads to 2.0-3.0m, can be trimmed.

There you are, spoilt for choice:D

All of these dislike wet/waterlogged soil, sorry.

Instead try....
    up to 2ft and grasslike perennial
    Acorus gramineus 'Variegatus'
    up to 4ft with great winter colour
    Cornus sanguinea 'Midwinter Fire'
    up to 5ft with white summer colour
    Spiraea x vanhouttei
    And finally, up to 12ft, our Native Guelder rose (Viburnum opulus) (An Chaor Chon)

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Most of the tress/shrubs I have are native to the area where we live, so I don;t really want to diversify from that.

I'll look up those suggestions, cheers.

Did you mean Fargesia murielae 'Simba'?

All of these dislike wet/waterlogged soil, sorry.

[/URL]

No I didn't and yes I disagree.

No I didn't and yes I disagree.

Seems to be only one of these plants in existence
    http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=akk&q=Arundaria+simba&btnG=Search
    Better take a few divisions before it dies out. ;)

Would you plant these in a wet area of garden Sonnenblumen?

Irish Gardener - congratulations on graduating from the Google Research school, unfortunately this only proves you can use a keyboard and not an expert.

Clear gaps in your 'knowledge' of plants. Off to pimp my 'cut my grass forum' with you.

• Advertisement

Off to pimp my 'cut my grass forum' with you.

No probs, when you get a chance pop on over and we will teach you about Prunus lusitanica (Portuguese laurel) which hates wet feet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭jj1310

Can you get a willow that will not grow too large? Do they like lots os sunlight or will they do ok in a north facing garden with limited sunlight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

Hi Irish Gardener, see that you have Bots training what year did you graduate?

golden wrote: »
    Hi Irish Gardener, see that you have Bots training what year did you graduate?

98 I think, It's been so long.:D
    golden just looking at your username there, I think I might know you, so PM sent.

jj1310 wrote: »
    Can you get a willow that will not grow too large? Do they like lots os sunlight or will they do ok in a north facing garden with limited sunlight?

Well, take for example our native willows.... Goat Willow (Salix caprea) (Saileach Dubh) , Grey Willow (Salix atrocinerea), Bay Willow (Salix pentandra) and Eared Willow (Salix aurita).
    All will grow eventually to about 10m tall by 8m wide, except for the Eared Willow (Salix aurita) which only grows to about 2.5m tall.
    Our native willows prefer a heavy, damp soil with good access to sunlight. Given a fair supply of moisture, they will even tolerate city pollution and seaside exposure. Although tolerating slightly limey soils, the Irish willows tend to grow better in acid to neutral ground.
    This extract taken from.... Irish native willow trees.

Thanks Gardener,

I was actually thinking of a weeping willow variety, any idea of where to get one in Dublin/Kildare and how big it would grow? Also would now be a good time to plant?

Thanks

The small weeping willow (Salix caprea "Pendula") height and spread 2.5mtrs is available everywhere as far as I can see. Anywhere from local grocery shop fronts to garden centres to tree nurseries.

At the upper end of the scale sizewize you have either the white weeping willow (Salix alba 'Tristis') or the Babylon weeping willow (Salix babylonica), both weiging in at around 12mtrs height and width.

Kildare is blessed with nurseries, two you can try are......
    Woodstock Trees and Shrubs,
    Dreenane, Derrinturn, Carbury, Co. Kildare.
    Phone: 0405-53198

and

Flannery Nurseries, Staplestown, Donadea, Clane, Co. Kildare.
    Phone: 045-869131

Thanks Gardener thats great

No probs, when you get a chance pop on over and we will teach you about Prunus lusitanica (Portuguese laurel) which hates wet feet.

Reminds me of learning to drive by reading a manual. I'd seriously doubt if there is anything of any marketable value that you with your limited training and consequential experiences could teach me. Anyways those that can do, do, and those that can't, teach.

There is no evidence of your experience and track record and therefore nothing to demonstrate any substantive capability in private and/or commercial landscaping (or even planting) throughout Ireland. Plant guides, descriptions etc are merely that, guides and realities can vary. Names can also be interchangeable from market to market, within markets, it is not unusual for plants to be re-named. Only a learner would not know this.

Good luck anyways with your Momma Poppa Advice and don't let your ego get in the way of modesty or indeed the opportunity to learn.

Reminds me of learning to drive by reading a manual. I'd seriously doubt if there is anything of any marketable value that you with your limited training and consequential experiences could teach me. Anyways those that can do, do, and those that can't, teach.
    There is no evidence of your experience and track record and therefore nothing to demonstrate any substantive capability in private and/or commercial landscaping (or even planting) throughout Ireland. Plant guides,
    descriptions etc are merely that, guides and realities can vary. Names can also be interchangeable from market to market, within markets, it is not unusual for plants to be re-named. Only a learner would not know this.

A lot of markets and commercial mentions there, I believe posters come to this section of the forum for the gardening/diy advice.
    Time to step outside the box and see gardening as somthing other than a business.
    Otherwise, marketing forum this way
    > http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=585
    Plant guides, descriptions etc are merely that, guides and realities can vary. Names can also be interchangeable from market to market, within markets, it is not unusual for plants to be re-named. Only a learner would not know this.

Tell me about it. You were the one who was going to send the original poster looking for a plant called Arundaria Simba, which doesn't even exist, but as you said it is not unusual for plants to be re-named.
    Fargesia murieliae 'Simba' however is available, Stams bamboo nursery in Lismore, Co. Waterford, should be able to supply this if garden centres find it hard to source.

You throw the old learner tag around a bit, nearly as often as your infamous apples and oranges comments.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=55008902#post55008902
    There is no evidence of your experience and track record and therefore nothing to demonstrate any substantive capability in private and/or commercial landscaping (or even planting) throughout Ireland.

Agus tú féin?
    Good luck anyways with your Momma Poppa Advice
    The mommas and the poppas were gardening a long time before you, indian sandstone, polished granite flags and cobblelock were.
    And they will be gardening for a long time after we are gone.
    The mommas and the poppas, Irelands common gardeners who see gardening as a way to relax, beautify their grounds and even feed their family.
    While we are on the subject of Momma Poppa advice, when you suggested Viburnum Davidii, Prunus Otto Luyken and Prunus Lusitanica for planting in wet ground, it sounded like advice junior would give.
    don't let your ego get in the way of modesty or indeed the opportunity to learn.

Oh Sonnenblumen, are you trying to seduce me?
    Well I learned one thing today, landscapers can be gardeners, gardeners can be landscapers, but sometimes this is not the case.

Anyway I think most of the posters in this thread are happy enough, so I think I'll leave it at that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 nobugzplz

Sonnen you are very arrogant. I know a small bit about bamboo to know there is no such one as Arundaria Simba.
    Arundaria Simba is excellent choice,
    The bamboo is called Arundinaria Simba as there no plant called Arundaria . The difference is your daria vs dinaria as is displayed rightly in your link http://www.fordnursery.co.uk/pages/catalogue/Bamboo/10076.html . You congratulated the Irish gardener on graduating from the Google Research school when you could do with a few lessons. To pick you up on one of your phrases don't let your ego get in the way of modesty or indeed the opportunity to learn. I will plant my own bamboo I think.

Hi all, OP here....

Wow, I wasn't expecting a full blown debate.

I know little about most plants, but I think I will go with the willows, probably a mix, 3 or 5 of a few varities, simply because they would sit better with my current range of native trees and shrubs.

Although bamboo would be cool, I think they would look out of place in my garden.

Thanks for all the advice etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 WhorP

FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! hAZEL RODS AT TWENTY PASES!!:D:D:D

Advertisement