Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ferret Advice

Options
  • 14-02-2008 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

My girlfriend and I have always been interested in keeping ferrets, and did a lot of research while we were based in France.

Now that we're settled here we're considering taking in a pair as pets, but would prefer to rescue if possible, or find a breeder, than buying from a pet shop. We're based in Cork, and I've had no luck finding any breeders listed on the web.

Does anyone know of any in the area, or even rescues locally that take in ferrets? I've checked out Cottage Rescue and they've currently none that need rehoming.

Any and all advice greatfully received :D

Leo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

i keep ferrets and you dont tend to get them in rescue shelters at all here. any ferrets that are in the wild usually resuly in being lost during a hunt after rabbits where they stay underground for so long the owners just cant get then out. ferrets cant live in the wild as they are domesticated and usually fall foul to foxes etc if they are left out to their own devices.

the best place to find ferrets is the buy and sell. most jills will not come into season until spring and they are pregnant for 12 weeks i think it is so summer is by far the best time to buy a pet ferret while they are kits, as you can rear them from hand.

most breeders here use their ferrets for hunting, as i do myself. their is no difference between a hunting ferret and a pet ferret as they are all programe to hunt rabbits. if you are going to a breeder and they tell you that they use their ferrets for hunting, dont let this put you off at all as you can rear them as pets. i would definitly advice though if you are going to keep your ferrets inside the house rear them from kits as then they will always be familiar with their surrounding s and constant hunam contact. on no account take an older "outdoor" kept ferret for inside use as it will only cos you nothing but heartache.

here's a pic with my two out hunting a few months ago. iv blocked out my face, i know it looks crazy, but ireland is too small a little county and i dont feel happy posting a face to my username.

me_and_ferrets_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

Ferrets need vaccinating against distemper and hardpad .The jill should be spayed .as when they come into season if not bred they develop womb problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Cottage Rescue

Hi Hannah here from Cottage Rescue!

We have Ferrets coming in next week and they will all be Neutered and vaxed and wormed and will be avaible for homing once we have assessed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

Hi cottage rescue. well dont on all your hard work by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 irijasmafija

Hi everyone i just want to ask maybe someone can help me,i loking for baby ferret or few months old, just not very old i think under year it will be ok bicouse i want when he knows me from young age, but i cant find:(, i live in Galway.If enybody can help me then please write me and i will contact with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Lexie_Karas

Hi Hannah here from Cottage Rescue!

We have Ferrets coming in next week and they will all be Neutered and vaxed and wormed and will be avaible for homing once we have assessed them.

Hi Hannah, I rehomed two ferrets from you guys last September... great pair of fuzzies!! Are these new ferrets coming over from the UK aswell or are they more local?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 afto001

hi im looking for a baby ferret or a youngish ferret or two to adopt or buy in dublin. finding it very hard to locate any and i know they breed like once a year round this time.if anybody know of any breeders, sanctuarys or pet stores with ferrets please let me know :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 April1980

Hi Hannah, I rehomed two ferrets from you guys last September... great pair of fuzzies!! Are these new ferrets coming over from the UK aswell or are they more local?

Hey Hannah, we rehomed Cloud and Rikku last August from Kelly and are also on the look out for some additions to the family so let me know if and when you need to rehome any ferrets.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Senor Willy

I use to keep Ferrets years ago.
    Paddys Petshop in Parnell st Dublin use to sell them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement