Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dangerously bald tyres

Options
  • 14-02-2008 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭

Is it just me or are scarily bald tyres becoming more and more common? I spotted this particular heroic effort in Cork yesterday. Looks like someone needs to get their tracking/balancing checked.
    DSC00009.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Chances are, if you inspected the inside of the tire more, there would be wire showing.

I just took off and replace the front 2 tires of a 07 opel combo i had before i sold it. The tracking is always por on them despite getting them corrected,.

Well over 3/4 of the tire was perfect except fro about 40mm from the inside they were worn down to the wire.. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

This I'm afraid is typical of your average Irish motorist. Just turn the key and go. Totally oblivious to car maintenance and upkeeping

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

wonder if anyone can recognise the model of car....

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

saxo? yeh my dad was talking about this the other day, even the amount of cars for sale in garages etc. with bad tyres is mad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Spit62500

colm_mcm wrote: »
    wonder if anyone can recognise the model of car....

Corolla....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Spit62500 wrote: »
    Corolla....

98 A4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

I don't get it either. Only thing keeping your motor on the road is the tyres, so it seems mad to have them like that. It's not as if a set of 205s cost the earth anymore either...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭DeBeere

Looks like a VW Golf , but I cant be too sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

DeBeere wrote: »
    Looks like a VW Golf , but I cant be too sure!

I think it's a safe bet thats it's a 98 A4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

If the cops were allowed to issue a swift kick in the privates of anyone weilding tyres like that, you'd soon see attitude changing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

Biro wrote: »
    If the cops were allowed to issue a swift kick in the privates of anyone weilding tyres like that, you'd soon see attitude changing.

Yeah, so much for the NCT eh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

OP, you didn't notice did the car have tax, insurance, and an NCT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

TJJP wrote: »
    Yeah, so much for the NCT eh.

2 years between them will allow the above! Hence the kick in the privates in between!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

JHMEG wrote: »
    OP, you didn't notice did the car have tax, insurance, and an NCT?

Didn't check - rushed off before the owner came running out asking what the **** I was doing taking pics of his car (was parked near window of shop)! It DID have illegal number plates though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Biro wrote: »

They should have the power to impound them on the spot, nice big release fee plus the cost of a mobile tyre fitter to attend the impound yard.

Some years ago I went with a mate to test-drive a car he was thinking of buying on a day with torrential rain, he had already inspected the car but he had no insurance at the time so I went along to give it a drive. As I learned later the deal was that the seller would swap his bling alloys for the standard wheels.

I drove down the road and onto a large roundabout at about 25mph, turned the wheel to go around and nothing. The car aquaplaned straight on a few mm of water and I barely stopped before we hit an old dear queing-up to enter the roundabout.

Got out of the car and had a look, all four corners were slick, no sign of any tread just some wire, the tosser turned around to me and said "oh yeah, I meant to say the tyres might need replacing".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I was in a car park last week and sat one of those space saver spare wheels on the front of a car.... It was worn down smooth with canvas threads showing, no sign of thread depth or parrern at all, how long must this have been on the car !!!
    It looked moronic as the others were nice alloys !!

Advertisement