Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Stables 21st

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

I was in the wrong?....I hope you mean "You were wrong initially" as opposed to "In the wrong"

And calling them whatever I will is more of an opinion than a general observation. And I stand by it. I've had other bad experiences with members of the staff (not to this extent it must be said), so they've made my opinion of themselves, and it will stick.

And before anyone says "they were probably just stressed with the workload"; thats not at all a valid excuse, many jobs are stressful, deal with it in your own manner, theres no excuse to take it out on a customer.

Albeit, the entertainment and the buzz in the stables was savage craic :)

Did you actually read what I said or are you just on a rant??!!
    I used the word initially, and I said that the response of the staff member was wrong and not a valid excuse already!!

Yes you are correct to be agrieved, but you are wrong about the staff, but you are entitled to your opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

bar tenders in stables r sum retarded fockwads

Generalisation number one ^^^^
    every single person behind that bar is an asshole.

Generalisation number two ^^^^

Both of which I think we've managed to show are incorrect. In both cases above you've gone and tarred a group of people who I know to be pretty decent as assholes.
    Mossin wrote: »
    You were in the wrong initially, but that response is uncondonable!

I was in the wrong?....I hope you mean "You were wrong initially" as opposed to "In the wrong"

I don't want to speak for Dave but if you read what I've quoted from his post above then I think it's pretty clear what he means. Perhaps if you'd asked him where you could get your free drink rather than straight away going for the whole I'm entitled to <whatever one feels entitled to> lark you might have gotten a better response. Saying that I agree that his response was rude and I wouldn't be impressed with it either.

Arrggghhhh Cthulhu wants to eat sebastianlieken for dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

Sorry mossin, I see i typed that a bit skewed. I did read ur post.

you said, "You were in the wrong initially", to me that sounds like your saying; you were out of line. (which i didnt agree with you saying). I was hoping you ment "You were wrong initially". (which I was)

no emphasis intended on the "initially", it was due on the "in the".

Although, I did want to reiterate the fact that there was no just cause for their attitude. (agro:))

Sorry for mix-up, my bad.

edit; and rmacm, those two "generalisations" are opinionated.

and in response to "Arrggghhhh Cthulhu wants to eat sebastianlieken for dinner";
    funny-kitty-rolled-up-borito.jpg

edit; and rmacm, those two "generalisations" are opinionated.

Cthulhu does not like invalid generalisations.

cth.jpg

Cthulhu and the rest of us say:

gtfo.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

aright fair enough.

I got in ta the stables around 9ish (had work to do :() was starvin, so went up with the free meal voucher, very nice, got sum grub, job.

went up ta the bar then with the free drinks voucher (I've since learned that there was a seperate stand for this),not knowing this at the time, asked for the free drink at the bar. bar tender says "sorry, cant use that here", and goes off. so I call him back, n say; I'm entitled to my free drink...what gives?. he just says. no "fcuk off with that now" (no explanations r anything, just an ignorant and rude response). so i told him I wanted the manager over to me for a second (saw him behind the bar there, n wanted to say sumthin bout the voucher, but more so cause I was pissed with the barmans reply to me)... anyway, asked the barman to get the manager over, he tells sum other falla behind the bar, he looks at me n says "you fcuk off now or ill have you kicked out"

wasnt gonna let that ass ruin my night, so I just left it at that, never got a word in ta the manager either.

Ok, just to explain the situation. The vouchers for food/drink were valid from 6-8pm. After that it was up to the discretion/availability of whatever was left. The drink voucher was for Bud Light and was gone pretty much at 8 or soon after. I'm not condoning what the barman said but I'm on Ents Crew and know them all really well: they're decent people and generally to re-emphasise what has been said do a decent job. Last night was beyond capacity in there and things behind the bar were pretty crazy. In addition, they brought in extra staff not usually there. I understand your annoyance - and whoever said it to you wasn't right to be so rude - but it was a manic stressful night for them too and while that doesn't justify someone to be rude, it can be hard to prevent a human off-the-cuff remark now and then.

rmacm wrote: »
    Cthulhu does not like invalid generalisations.

no, im pretty sure "Cthulhu" just likes to show off his god complex when he doesnt know the difference between whats meant by a generalised statement, and a generalised opinion....:cool:

so to you I say;
    stfu_noob.jpg

ooh...i feel the wrath of the moderator-stick comin my way.. :D:pac::D:pac::D

Ok, just to explain the situation. The vouchers for food/drink were valid from 6-8pm. After that it was up to the discretion/availability of whatever was left. The drink voucher was for Bud Light and was gone pretty much at 8 or soon after. I'm not condoning what the barman said but I'm on Ents Crew and know them all really well: they're decent people and generally to re-emphasise what has been said do a decent job. Last night was beyond capacity in there and things behind the bar were pretty crazy. In addition, they brought in extra staff not usually there. I understand your annoyance - and whoever said it to you wasn't right to be so rude - but it was a manic stressful night for them too and while that doesn't justify someone to be rude, it can be hard to prevent a human off-the-cuff remark now and then.

Ya, i found out later on in the night that that was the case, and I accept ur point, its just a pain for that to happen at the start of the night tho as im sure u understand, but ya, i do get ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

why am already awake......*owwwww*.... good night, bar tenders in stables r sum retarded fockwads, didnt buy a single pint there last night, never will again either. theyre the most ignorant spanners anywhere (not only last nightm theyre always fockwads IMO)

Right, the 'IMO' is important but it only applies to the piece in brackets preceeding it.

The rant before hand is a generalisation, not an opinionated one.

....ya had to go there didnt ya!, ya just HAD to get technical with me didn't you!....dammit ;) .........job!

no, im pretty sure "Cthulhu" just likes to show off his god complex when he doesnt know the difference between whats meant by a generalised statement, and a generalised opinion....:cool:

Statement - according to Merriam Webster

1: something stated: as a: a single declaration or remark : assertion b: a report of facts or opinions

or

6: an opinion, comment, or message conveyed indirectly usually by nonverbal means.

You made an invalid generalisation about the staff in the Stables. Now I shouldn't have to go back and quote your posts again to show you that your opinion/statement (they're the same thing in this case) is a generalisation.

I'm pretty sure Cthulhu doesn't care about a god complex, he just likes to eat people.
    ooh...i feel the wrath of the moderator-stick comin my way.. :D:pac::D:pac::D

Noob my arse I've been here far longer than you.

You'd be feeling a lot worse if I had my way.

...okay, fair enough. but then again, it just accured to me that this argument has gone completely off topic, and almost entirely irrelevant to the point of dissapointment with IN MY OPINIONthe horrendous service and treatment which I recieved from SOME members of staff.

what I think is rediculuos is; that I get treated in this way at the stables;I bring it up here; and im ganged up on by you guys for my vocabulary of all things... :rolleyes:

IN MY OPINIONthe horrendous service and treatment which I recieved from SOME members of staff.

I think we're finally making some progress :rolleyes:
    I bring it up here; and im ganged up on by you guys for my vocabulary of all things... :rolleyes:

You weren't ganged up on for your vocabulary, you were ganged up on for the reasons pointed out in all the posts previously where you stated that all the bar staff in the Stables were assholes (IMO included or not).

Anyway I've had fun arguing with you it's taken the boredom out of the afternoon. I'm off to have a few pints now :).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Ah jaysus lads will you all chill out

Funkstard wrote: »
    Ah jaysus lads will you all chill out

Perfectly chilled Funkstard....I don't see anyone getting worked up. Come to think of it I had a calmer than usual afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭dedon

rmacm wrote: »
    Perfectly chilled Funkstard....I don't see anyone getting worked up. Come to think of it I had a calmer than usual afternoon.

To be honest RMACM, I dont think you are chilled at all. Everytime I log on here you seem to be having a go at someone.Especially here and also in the topic on the elections a while back. Man just take it easy. Where do you get the time to be so stung out. Some posters just want to have a bit of fun. CHILL OUT DUDE

dedon wrote: »
    To be honest RMACM, I dont think you are chilled at all. Everytime I log on here you seem to be having a go at someone.Especially here and also in the topic on the elections a while back. Man just take it easy. Where do you get the time to be so stung out. Some posters just want to have a bit of fun. CHILL OUT DUDE

I figure you're referring to that fantastic thread with that Fiachra <somethingotherdude> and of course this one. Yeah I was abrasive in both threads but I think I was pretty justified in what I posted.

There's a difficulty in conveying tone when you're posting on a forum on the internet but most of what I post is in a reasonably light hearted manner e.g. my slagging of that FF loving ninty9er fella :p

I can pick out numerous posts out of my ~900 where I've been helpful and mannerly toward people. I may not be the most chilled out person on the planet but I'm relaxed enough to keep myself happy. Hell if I was even half as worked up as you think I am I'd be on my way to a heart attack :)

/me waits for a comment about excessive smoking and drinking and heart attack highway

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I'll agree with Sebastienlieken....IMO the service in the Stables is the worst on campus bar wise 95% of the time. There are exceptions and nights when it isn't the case and staff who are brilliant. But the drink is **** anyway!!

FFS...the stables is the only proper bar on campus lets be honest.

The Sports Bar is awful, although cson will disagree with me there. The Guinness is good there, albeit a bit soft, but tis drinkable. The staff up there are ok, but you wouldnt want to be looking for excellent service in there.

Java's staff are poor as well, and the Guinness in there is cold, but thats about it!! It is not good. Watching a barman pull a pint of Guinness using only the back pour :mad::mad:

So this leaves the Stables again....The staff are the quickest to serve, and serve with a bit of craic and banter. The pints are not always of the highest quality, but the Guinness in there is better than elsewhere on campus.
    The staff are by no means awful, as stated previously by me, they are very competent. I have seen a lot of new faces in there recently, and they dont impress me, I wont name names on here to be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭dedon

FFS...the stables is the only proper bar on campus lets be honest.

The Sports Bar is awful, although cson will disagree with me there. The Guinness is good there, albeit a bit soft, but tis drinkable. The staff up there are ok, but you wouldnt want to be looking for excellent service in there.

Java's staff are poor as well, and the Guinness in there is cold, but thats about it!! It is not good. Watching a barman pull a pint of Guinness using only the back pour :mad::mad:

So this leaves the Stables again....The staff are the quickest to serve, and serve with a bit of craic and banter. The pints are not always of the highest quality, but the Guinness in there is better than elsewhere on campus.
    The staff are by no means awful, as stated previously by me, they are very competent. I have seen a lot of new faces in there recently, and they dont impress me, I wont name names on here to be fair.

The staff are pretty good in the Stables. I have been in UL a good few years now and the bar staff are friendly and it is nice to get a special hello when one has been drinking in there for a good few years.

Regarding the drink quailty. It is piss basically. The Guinness is muck. I wouldnt touch in anywhere on Campus. Why are their pints SO bad and SO flat. Do they ever clean their lines??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

Fucking damn right he will! :p

I'll concede that I'm not as seasoned a Guinness drinker as you Dave but out of all the places I've been in Limerick (and back home) the Sports Bar has consistently provided me with great Guinness. Although the Hurlers came close the few pints I had in there one night.

But, where the Sports Bar and Java fall down like a drunken rmacm is on the atmosphere, or lack thereof. No craic there basically. Sports Bar is fine for watching a match or having a few quiet ones but it ain't the place to get you in a mood for going out.

I'm not the biggest fan of the Stables but you can't deny it has the best atmosphere on campus. Despite that, the place is filthy and badly needs a revamp. It has echoes of the Lodge with the dirty timber fittings in there. I can't understand for the life of me why the pints are ****e in there either. The lines are going the whole time and surely the barmen are getting enough practice to be able to know how to pull a good pint?

I didnt say the Sports Bar Guinness was bad, its just not the best pint a man can get. Yes the Hurlers has good Guinness, but at €4.20 a pint it would want to be!!

Fair point about watching games in the Sports Bar, but its better to watch a match with a good crowd imo, and not in the quiet recluse that is the Sports Bar.

I'll agree that the Stables does require a revamp, but do you know that it was only revamped 2 years ago...Anybody remember the green paint and lack of timber fittings and no mirrors???

My final point here is that if the lines are bad, no matter how good, i repeat, no matter how good the bar person is, you cant make a good pint!!

And tbh, I dont know who is serving ye in there, or which set of taps they use, if you get a pint from the taps on the left :( but otherwise the pints are usually of a good standard...

cson wrote: »
    I'll concede that I'm not as seasoned a Guinness drinker as you Dave but out of all the places I've been in Limerick (and back home) the Sports Bar has consistently provided me with great Guinness. Although the Hurlers came close the few pints I had in there one night.

I've found that neither the Stables, Sports Bar or Hurlers have provided consistent quality when it comes to pints although the vast majority of times I've been in the Stables I've gotten good pints of Guinness (note I said good, nothing fantastic yet drinkable nonetheless).

In town I found Nancy Blakes pretty consistent for Guinness.
    But, where the Sports Bar and Java fall down like a drunken rmacm is on the atmosphere, or lack thereof.

I think your recent exploits have eclipsed anything I've done of late :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Gotta agree with the Stables myself.

Now those of you that know me will also know that no.place will replace the Scholars for me.

Seeing as how it's closed the Stables became the pub of choice. Of course I've had dodgy pints; same as any place really but the vast majority of the time I've no probs with the beer there some of the clientele maybe but not the pints :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

Sports Bar gets a good crowd for the Champs League matches. Decent place to watch a game with a pint. That and the fact its only 300 yards from home :pac:

Didn't know the Stables was revamped... The courtyard is fine, but inside... It reminds me too much of the lodge -> Timber thats been absolutely drowned in various alcohols and is sticky. Granted its a student bar so you can't expect the place to be a beacon of modernity and cleanliness. Although it must be making a fortune ;)

@ Rory: the thing that worries me most is that I've another 3 years left here :eek:

*hopefully*

Fecking exams...

@ Rory: the thing that worries me most is that I've another 3 years left here :eek:

*hopefully*

Look at it this way.....3 years to reach new heights of drunkenness and new lows of sanity and dignity.