Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PIctures needed of parrot

Options
  • 14-02-2008 12:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭

I am doing veterinary nursing in college and i am currently doing an animal behaviour project. I am doing it on african grey congo parrots. I desperatlely need pictures of a african grey parrots. I would like photos of just the parrot head bobbing, of puffing up it's head feathers or any photos that look like the parrot is displaying sexual behaviour. If any body has an african grey parrot i would really appriciate any photos. Thank you for all your help. :)

Comments

I have one , i will see what i can do this evening . Although my one head bobs to music :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Lizard Queen

That would be brillent thank you very much. I am doing a study on how parrots can sexually bond with their owners and have alot of health problems because of that. So your helping birdies :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I don't think I have any photos that will suit - I can have a sort out tho?? Misty is a tad young to be displaying sexual behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭turtle dubh

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2405/2264936803_64a4685a3a_b.jpg
    I dont know if this will work or if i doing it right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

They usually puff up the head feathers when threateaned ? I didn't know it was a sexual thing.
    I had a Timneh grey that used to regurgitate food onto me to feed me after I got in from work.

sorry didnt get a chance to last night . I have been looking after a sick ferret. I will try get somthing up over the weekend. The only problem is, this is a pet and not for breeding .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Lizard Queen

well the assignment is sexual behaviour problems. Its when african greys sexual bond with their owners. So im generally looking for pics of congos head bobbing, regurgitating or wing flapping.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

My mother had one for 36 years and if she made a particular 'cooing' noise, the bird bobbed, flared and spread her wings slightly to invite *ahem* sexual congress. We thought it was great gas. I can make the noise if that helps. We never took any pics of Polly but i can take a pic of the scar she left on my finger when she decided to eat it?...

Good luck with your project - these are brilliant birds.

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭lucozader

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

The head bobbing is different to the bobbing they do when merely dancing. It's much more pronounced, the head tilts up much higher and goes down much lower when displaying sexual behaviour.

Also the wings drop to the side and it's like the body lowers as well (I haven't seen mine flapping hers at all in a sexual way). At the same time they make what is like a wheezing noise whilst breathing. Every time my girl does this I put her back on her cage so she knows that I ain't her partner!

Puffing up head feathers is also a sign of relaxation, especially when they're standing on one leg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

I am doing veterinary nursing in college and i am currently doing an animal behaviour project. I am doing it on african grey congo parrots. I desperatlely need pictures of a african grey parrots. I would like photos of just the parrot head bobbing, of puffing up it's head feathers or any photos that look like the parrot is displaying sexual behaviour. If any body has an african grey parrot i would really appriciate any photos. Thank you for all your help. :)
    hi Lizard Queen i have this if you like?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_Grey_Parrot

Advertisement