Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which course points are going to rise???

Options
  • 14-02-2008 12:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

what courses are going to go up points wise

e.g - Commerce UCD guarenteed. 485

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Brooke01

Cillers27 wrote: »
    what courses are going to go up points wise

e.g - Commerce UCD guarenteed. 485

Law in TCD and NUIG

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Yuugib

i have a feeling that economics and finances in ucd..
    and maybe actuary in ucd as well.. as the points are quite low now more ppl will apply..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

Yuugib wrote: »
    i have a feeling that economics and finances in ucd..
    and maybe actuary in ucd as well.. as the points are quite low now more ppl will apply..

They've been stuck at 555 there for a while now which probably means the course isn't full so that's the lowest they'll go. Can't see it going up this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Baking and Pastry Arts Managment in DIT
    Actuary in UCD may go up because a language is no longer required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

carlowboy wrote: »
    They've been stuck at 555 there for a while now which probably means the course isn't full so that's the lowest they'll go. Can't see it going up this year.

Course was filled this year, there's only 40 places

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,535 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Points are primarily based on demand and supply for that course. If theres a high demand, there is a high chance that students with higher points will have applied to it. If you have a low demand and high supply of places, then your chances may go up (for example, if they have added extra placements for the course).

In truth, its all speculative unless you have some kind of evidence to suggest that fewer/more people will apply for a course than last year. Talking to all your friends about what they know will not always yield the best information: you talk to a dozen or so people, and that does not cover you for the thousands of other students in the country that you have zero knowledge of: each one capable of applying to your course of preference.

To re-iterate: don't pick your choices based on points requirements - pick in order of personal preference. No other factor need apply in your decision making process.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Have they released the figures of how many are doing the LC yet? Last year was the lowest for ages but the CAO was higher than average..points still dropped though, except for a lot of Trinity courses. Law and Psychology will go up slightly, and Medicine in Trinity will go back up to 590. Last year's new courses will go up as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

I though medicine was going down to 450 plus an aptitude test for those doing the LC in 2009?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I though medicine was going down to 450 plus an aptitude test for those doing the LC in 2009?

was that ever confirmed?
    it be lovely (then again maybe it wouldnt)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

anyone know anything about the points for engineering in Trinity? they were 450 last year. anyone think they'll go up or down?

Peleus wrote: »
    anyone know anything about the points for engineering in Trinity? they were 450 last year. anyone think they'll go up or down?

i think it will stay the same, the HL C3 i think is enough to keep it static

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Infernon

What you think about Philosophy and Political science course at Trinity?At the moment,it requires 495 points and there are only 10 places available.Is this an indication of the popularity of the course,or contrary?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Xhristy wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    Are you serious? I've down commerce with chinese in UCC which is 405 points...
    If it was to go up It would be worrying.

Still though the course is in its 1st year and the courses weren't all filled so wonder if that'll make a difference for the year coming

I only filled 8 choices in the CAO (all level 8) and there all business/commerce of some sort.

Though you say loads of people you know have some sort of business down?
    not in my school at all so im sure it varies from place to place, everyone in my school seems to be doing teaching of some sort (primary teaching mainly... its madness)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Chunky Monkey

Fad wrote: »
    was that ever confirmed?
    it be lovely (then again maybe it wouldnt)

Why wouldn't it be? It's about feckin time they dropped the points. I got a place in the UK with 460 points (discounting my D3 in business, they only looked for AAABB). The requirement here will be 480. I think it has been confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Anybody know anything about commerce in NUIG. It will be a struggle to get the 400 ish points that I need but if they go up, I'll be fecked

• Registered Users Posts: 83,535 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

kwestfan08 wrote: »
    Anybody know anything about commerce in NUIG. It will be a struggle to get the 400 ish points that I need but if they go up, I'll be fecked

Irrelevant. if you want it put it down as your choice. If you dont get it: well then poo, you just get your next choice down the list. This is how the system works. Quit worrying about speculating on how many points you will actually require, just try to get as many points as you can.

You never know, good things can happen. My course's cutoff was 360 that year but the top 3 students (in the 490s or so) all received some scholarship money at the end of the year from our course sponsor. Total bull**** in my opinion, but it happened. Dont sell yourself short.

kwestfan08 wrote: »
    Well according to a guy further up the thread he expects commerce/business courses to go up, though he says thats because he knows so many people in his school going for business (certainly not the case in my school)

so I'd expect it to stay around the same.

just wondering are you going for commerce by itself in galway or with a language?

Why wouldn't it be? It's about feckin time they dropped the points. I got a place in the UK with 460 points (discounting my D3 in business, they only looked for AAABB). The requirement here will be 480. I think it has been confirmed.

well the the point it the people with high points and passible aptitude would still get the place as thay got the higher points, the demand for the course would push the points up and we'd be at the same situation the next year:)

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭nerdysal

Primary Teaching is bound to go up. The amount of people I've talked to that one to do it is unreal!!! There's five people in my class alone applying for it!!!

Does anyone think NCI's points will go up? I've applied for Financial Services.

I agree, alot of people want to do Commerce in UCD this year too. I'd say it will definitely go up 10 points at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭stev2604

What about Commerce or Commerce with French in UCC? I know a fair few people who are doing it, but that's hardly indicative of the actual demand..

Anyone think they'll go up/down?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

1huge1 wrote: »
    Well according to a guy further up the thread he expects commerce/business courses to go up, though he says thats because he knows so many people in his school going for business (certainly not the case in my school)

so I'd expect it to stay around the same.

just wondering are you going for commerce by itself in galway or with a language?

Just doing commerce on its own.

well the the point it the people with high points and passible aptitude would still get the place as thay got the higher points, the demand for the course would push the points up and we'd be at the same situation the next year:)

Well they're increasing the number of places from 305 to 725. Also if the points requirement does push up it means the admissions personnel aren't doing their job properly. With the new system students are supposed to be judged on more than their academic ability because for some reason they've only realised now that more than that is required from a doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

for next years lc'ers, medicine will be at 480 points, and when you have that, you can do an aptitude test and depending on the results of that and the leaving cert, places are awarded

Well im going for commerce with chinese in ucc and have commerce with german in ucc as my 2nd choice.

Can't speak too much for french but I do know that the chinese course was in its 1st year this year and they didnt even fill all the places and german is only 320 so whatever it goes up I'm still going to be ok id say.

As for the guy saying primary teaching is going to go up I completely agree, I know so many people going for it, like half my year have teaching down of some sort, most of them having Mary I down.
    Wouldnt like the course myself but sure

They'll be interviewing as well. Unless they've changed that?

They'll be interviewing as well. Unless they've changed that?

i might actually put Med on my CAO then :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

i might actually put Med on my CAO then :)

Please tell me that's either a joke or you have more reasons than the possibility of acceptance being based on an interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Source please. Otherwise, you're just going to confuse and annoy people tbh.

• Advertisement

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/1216/medical.html

A new selection process has been announced for students who want to study medicine.

It includes the introduction of a medical school admissions test for Leaving Cert students who get a minimum of 480 points.

The test will measure general and personal skills.

The number of university places for medicine is also to increase from 305 to 725.

The changes will be introduced in 2009.

It says 'announced' (rather than 'suggested') which means it's been confirmed.

Something else interesting, got this off http://www.careerahead.ie/

New Medicine Entry:
    Entry to undergraduate medicine programmes will be determined through a combination of an aptitude test and CAO points from 2009. Under the new system, any candidate who achieves 480 points is eligible to sit the aptitude test. The aptitude test will examine mental ability, reasoning, personal skills and professional attributes. A maximum of 2 attempts of the aptitude test is allowed.

Max two attempts of aptitude. I wonder does that mean in the same year or does it mean you can only apply for medicine twice and then it's the abroad/graduate route.

I suppose it'll probably go down the UK route where resit applicants are not viewed too kindly.

Advertisement