Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which course points are going to rise???

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Chunky Monkey

Here's something else that people doing the leaving this year might want to note, according to this article: http://www.independent.ie/national-news/leaving-points--count-for-little-in-medicine-entry-shakeup-1270213.html

Students who get 480 points or more this year may have to repeat again next year anyway to apply for medicine as there are fears that there may be a huge number of applicants otherwise. There hasn't been a final decision on that yet but looks like it's heading that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭straight_As

I was told by junior doctor that the main reason for the high points required for medicine is the number of repeat students putting it no. 1 on their CAO.

His theory is that if someone can achieve 500 points in their first sitting of the LC, medicine is well within reach in the repeat. His logic was that if you have a decent grasp of the material covered the first time, a year's revision will fill in the gaps and strengthen the deficiencies. In many instances this will result in the almost pre-requisite A1.

He told us that between a third and half his class at med school were repeats.

He's probably right. We wouldn't have to repeat if the points requirement wasn't so goddamn high. I understand why they might look for A1s in subjects like chemistry and biology and even English (might come in handy for case reports and presentations) but why do I have to get an A1 in business? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭me2gud4u

yeh very true, there are a lot of repeats in my year ucd. And in regards to the aptitude test that has been confirmed and will be in operation for present fifth yrs. There's no interview though. Can't remember the details exactly but ur actual leaving results still outweigh (and rightly so imo) the results of your aptitude test. Nothing will really change as the best leaving certers will scoop up all the places anyway.

What if they come across as selfish and tactless on the aptitude test as many of them (in my own experience) are?

That being said the UKCAT (UK Clinical Aptitude Test) is next to useless, especially the personality section. I wonder which one they're going to use.

The thing that really pisses me off about the current application system is that fairly low grades are required in subjects like chemistry and maths but high points so you could get those points in subjects that are completely irrelevant and still get in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭straight_As

What if they come across as selfish and tactless on the aptitude test as many of them (in my own experience) are?

That being said the UKCAT (UK Clinical Aptitude Test) is next to useless, especially the personality section. I wonder which one they're going to use.

The thing that really pisses me off about the current application system is that fairly low grades are required in subjects like chemistry and maths but high points so you could get those points in subjects that are completely irrelevant and still get in.

It would seem that in Ireland, the application requirements need a certain amount of tailoring. I was just reading the qualifax website and I quote:
    Minimum Subject Requirements:

Irish: Ordinary D3
    English: Ordinary D3
    A third language: Ordinary D3
    Mathematics: Ordinary D3
    1 Laboratory Science Subject: Ordinary D3**
    1 Other Recognised Subjects

Is this a joke or this a joke? Someone with an OD3 in physics and no other science could theoretically be accepted based on obtaining 570 points......
    Whereas, a student with A1's in maths, physics, chemistry and biology could be rejected based on not reaching the "points threshold".

Seems wrong to me.

The answer would probably be to head more towards the A-Level idea. Relevant subjects in high demand courses could be given preference. e.g. for medicine, A1 in a science would equal 100 points whereas an A1 in a subject less "related" such as art or Tech Graph might only warrant 90 points.

This could be applied to many different courses, i.e., of what importance are the sciences in relation to business?

I realise that it would be a logistics nightnare but, meh, the CAO system seems confusing enogh as it is.

Also, may I add, interviewing in country as small as Ireland is no way of allocating third level places. Our country is too small and chances are someone will either know an interviewer or else networking will begin to ignite acquaintences with interviewers.

(I have nothing for or against any of the aforementioned subjects)

Sorry for the rant;)

Ye I was talking to a GP who said the same thing about the interviewing.

I got 505 points in my leaving. However I got A1s in chemistry, biology and English and a B1 in maths. I don't think that's too bad for the relevant subjects. However I got a B3 in French and a D3 in business, two subjects which aren't relevant. So now I'm wasting another year trying to bring an irrelevant subject up to an A1 and another irrelevant one to the max B1 I can get because I can't afford schooling fees.

Ugh sorry it's a sore spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

Cillers27 wrote: »
    what courses are going to go up points wise

e.g - Commerce UCD guarenteed. 485

How is it guaranteed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭dip

Heard today from my teacher that there's been a 7% on last year of the amount of applications to UCD, presuming it will have a noticable affect on points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

dip wrote: »
    Heard today from my teacher that there's been a 7% on last year of the amount of applications to UCD, presuming it will have a noticable affect on points.

7% what???:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭dip

:rolleyes:
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Please tell me that's either a joke or you have more reasons than the possibility of acceptance being based on an interview.

:rolleyes:

i have no intention of putting it particularly high up on my CAO, maybe in between pastry chefing and basket weeving?

my point is that this change make medicine slightly more accessible

Considering how many people here get 600 points by spending lots of money on extra grinds they really should have access courses for those from schools in disadvantaged areas like they do in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

Considering how many people here get 600 points by spending lots of money on extra grinds they really should have access courses for those from schools in disadvantaged areas like they do in the UK.

They do. Trinity's is called TAP.

For medicine? I've never heard of that. What does it involve?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

For students in certain 'disadvantaged' schools (I use invertered commas because I'm not sure I personally agree with Trinity's definition) students can be offered a place in any course in the college with less then the CAO points(I believe it's 3/4 of the total but I may be wrong).

See www.tcd.ie for further info.

P.S A little off topic but I'm not sure I agree with your stance on access programmes. It's not fair to assume that all people who achieve high points have had access to grind schools, or in the case that they did that their parents didn't have to make hugh sacrifices to send them to schools such as the Institute. IMHO access programmes don't lessen the divide between high and low levels of income in terms of attendence at University, rather it discriminates against those within middle bracket social classes, the student who gets 570 who doesn't recieve a place in college because someone from a so-called disadvantaged area with 450 get's it instead. Rant rant rant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Steveo12345youg

nerdysal wrote: »
    Primary Teaching is bound to go up. The amount of people I've talked to that one to do it is unreal!!! There's five people in my class alone applying for it!!!

Does anyone think NCI's points will go up? I've applied for Financial Services.

I agree, alot of people want to do Commerce in UCD this year too. I'd say it will definitely go up 10 points at least.

Yes i would agree with u there in my school sixth years a good 10 want to do
    primary teaching argh!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Ya close on 30 have all sorts of teaching down in my year (mostly primary), 3 years in Mary I in Limerick, I'd rather die

The building is falling apart like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

College Lecturer is what I desperately want to be.

I wouldn't be able to put up with stupid dickheads in secondary schools and I don't have the required level of Irish for Primary school teaching.

Lecturing requires more knowledge of your chosen subject and a higher level of education obviously.

It's competitive but I'm sure I would enjoy it.

*oooh better check the points!!!*

Advertisement