Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do on the weekend?

Options
  • 14-02-2008 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

Right so with the nice weather I want to do something outdoors this weekend

I was thinking of climbing either Knocknarea or Glencar. Anyone got any other suggestions where you could walk a bit, sit down and just think "Fcuk me that's some nice scenery"? :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

The dancefloor in Velvet.. just bring some earplugs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Streedagh Beach

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Streedagh Beach
    Streedagh +1
    The horsepass benbulbin out that direction too.
    Carrowkeel tombs, castlebaldwin.
    Everywhere in Leitrim. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

tuppence wrote: »
    Everywhere in Leitrim. :D

This is the Sligo forum. Don't be boasting about those boglands up here! :p

Best thing to do in Sligo this weekend ;

Sofa + Beer, 5pm, Sat, BBC1 ; Man Utd vs Arsenal. F.A. Cup

(this can also be watched in Leitrim!)

• Advertisement

takola wrote: »
    This is the Sligo forum. Don't be boasting about those boglands up here! :p
    Some of the best walking country. Okay thats it will take glencar back again! Was going to let it go.
    Its in Leitrim!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Glencar in Sligo, is in Leitrim??

sueme wrote: »
    Glencar in Sligo, is in Leitrim??
    Yes thats the one. Glencar in Sligo is really in Leitrim, close to Manorhamilton! Ane here you go.
    http://www.lookaroundireland.com/scenicinteractive/glencarwaterfall.htm
    Apparently Sligo have been at it for years! :D

No no, Ye're not having it. Glencar is ours!

Leitrim consists of fields and farmers. That's it! :D

There's more ideas though. Glencar is quite pleasant when the weather is nice. Well actually any time! Plus I absolutely love Hazelwood (Which is in Sligo tuppence! :p) so if I can I head out there as much as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Thanks for reminding me of Hazelwood, wouldn't have thought of it

I'm going to go for a look out Streedagh Beach, never been there before and go for a walk around Mullaghmore while i'm at it

Cheers folks

• Advertisement

No no, Ye're not having it. Glencar is ours!

Leitrim consists of fields and farmers. That's it! :D

There's more ideas though. Glencar is quite pleasant when the weather is nice. Well actually any time! Plus I absolutely love Hazelwood (Which is in Sligo tuppence! :p) so if I can I head out there as much as possible

According to a website I won't mention, Hazlewood is also a popular dogging spot in Sligo... to quote a couple it's

"Out towards the saehan factory and turn of left into hazelwood forest"

Not that I'd approve of such a thing. Besides, I don't even own a dog!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Woods:
    Hazelwood, Slios, Union & Dooney Rock
    Beaches:
    Lower Rosses, Culleenamore, Lisadell (the Quieter ones!)
    Other:
    Carramore Tombs, Knocknera (sp?)

According to a website I won't mention, Hazlewood is also a popular dogging spot in Sligo... to quote a couple it's

"Out towards the saehan factory and turn of left into hazelwood forest"

Not that I'd approve of such a thing. Besides, I don't even own a dog!

I know nothing of it. :D

I know nothing of it. :D

Methinks the lasy doth protest too much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Class views from Knocknarea on a clear day plus you can call into Strandhill for something to eat when you get back down from it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Hazzlewood is great for a walk or a cycle. I haven't been there in years though so must start going more often. Knocknarae is also quite nice. Bring a few sandwhiches and thermos full of tea and just relax up there for an hour or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I stumbled across this place one day while out for a nosey.
    Go to coolaney and follow the road up to the mast. Park your car at the mast and its about a 2 mile walk down a logging raod. Untarnished by rubbish and with spectacular views of stranhill and knocknarea when you get out to the far side. Bring your camera..

John, If you do decide to head to Strandhill, make sure you take in a seaweed bath as well. They are really divine an experience on many levels not to be missed. (Swoon :))
    Then a brisk walk on the beach. (Theres a cool edge to Strandhill with the surfers.) Next pub grub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

John, If you do decide to head to Strandhill, make sure you take in a seaweed bath as well.
    Bring company, ladies like them for their skin properties.. boys like them for the skin!!... plus its bold!!:eek::eek::eek:

slideways wrote: »
    Bring company, ladies like them for their skin properties.. boys like them for the skin!!... plus its bold!!:eek::eek::eek:
    You forgot, theres a cold shower in there too! ;) Just in case you want the sensuous experience of seaweed on your own. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Class views from Knocknarea on a clear day plus you can call into Strandhill for something to eat when you get back down from it.

I do love Knocknarea, but want something different. Lovely views from up there (Good times in 1st year when we all climbed up, got p1ssed and foudn it hard to get back down)
    Hazzlewood is great for a walk or a cycle. I haven't been there in years though so must start going more often. Knocknarae is also quite nice. Bring a few sandwhiches and thermos full of tea and just relax up there for an hour or so.

Hazlewood is again another lovely spot during the way for a walk. But again, want something I haven't done before
    slideways wrote: »
    I stumbled across this place one day while out for a nosey.
    Go to coolaney and follow the road up to the mast. Park your car at the mast and its about a 2 mile walk down a logging raod. Untarnished by rubbish and with spectacular views of stranhill and knocknarea when you get out to the far side. Bring your camera..

I know the mast you speak of! (Drove half way up before) I think this is the winner as i've never been up to the mast before. Will follow your directions (Will also bring the tazer incase any Deliverance kinda rednecks up there)
    John, If you do decide to head to Strandhill, make sure you take in a seaweed bath as well. They are really divine an experience on many levels not to be missed. (Swoon :))
    Then a brisk walk on the beach. (Theres a cool edge to Strandhill with the surfers.) Next pub grub.

If I brought the GF near seaweed she'd kill me. She gets p1ssed off enough as it is when I make her crew for me during the summer "Ew i'm not pulling any fcuking rope out from that sh1t infested water" - good times :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

This may be out of left field, but have you been to any of the wind farms? They're really impressive and the views are class. There's ones in Arigna, Kings Mountain near Skreen and out past Sooey off the Ballyfarnon road. You get the walk, the scenary and you can pretend it's you're in Star Wars:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

il gatto wrote: »
    This may be out of left field, but have you been to any of the wind farms?

Brilliant idea... I will have to do that.

I'm surprised noone mentioned one of your best assets, Atlantic waves. Surfing is surprisingly easy, great fun, the wetsuits are really good (you don't get that cold). I learnt with http://www.perfectdaysurfing.com/ in Strandhill.

Surfing's easy in Strandhill alright - there's never any waves!

Surfing's easy in Strandhill alright - there's never any waves!

I thought strandhill was supposed to be fantastic for surfing? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

it is! There are always brilliant waves in Strandhill

Gillie wrote: »
    it is! There are always brilliant waves in Strandhill

Dude - I've surfed since I was 7 years old. Strandhill's the last place I'd
    go to get a decent surf. It's fine for beginners because it's tame.

Easkey's a great spot for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭ems_12

The Oalth (sp or even correct name?!!) out past Parkes Castle, so I think technically it's another Leitrim one. Go past Parkes Castle, take the next left turn (up a small lane, opposite a phone box), and turn into left - grassy "car park". This walk is quite steep. If you get to a little hut made from bits of wood and huge boulder, help out and get rid of rotten wood, and put on some strong bits!! :D

• Advertisement

ems_12 wrote: »
    The Oalth (sp or even correct name?!!) out past Parkes Castle, so I think technically it's another Leitrim one. Go past Parkes Castle, take the next left turn (up a small lane, opposite a phone box), and turn into left - grassy "car park". This walk is quite steep. If you get to a little hut made from bits of wood and huge boulder, help out and get rid of rotten wood, and put on some strong bits!! :D

Get out! :eek: :D

Advertisement