Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do on the weekend?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭ems_12

Ok, ok, I'll redeem myself by giving a suggestion that's in Co.Sligo then!? St.Angelas college has a gorgeous walk down by Lough Gill. Drive out past St. Josephs Gaelic pitch, take a right turn (it's signposted St. Angelas college) and another right into the college drive. Park up at the big car park, then walk down to the college buildings, and past the front of the nuns house. Go thro a little gate (tied with rope) and you'll find a great walk. Take the small steps down to the lake at the start and you'll get to the old boat house, or just continue on the large path the whole way along the shore :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

ems_12 wrote: »
    The Oalth (sp or even correct name?!!) out past Parkes Castle, so I think technically it's another Leitrim one. Go past Parkes Castle, take the next left turn (up a small lane, opposite a phone box), and turn into left - grassy "car park". This walk is quite steep. If you get to a little hut made from bits of wood and huge boulder, help out and get rid of rotten wood, and put on some strong bits!! :D

Or come up to my gaff on the 2nd sea road on Saturday morning, collect one of the plastic bins out in the back garden & head down to Deep Water Quay to the recycling place. Make sure you get in early as they close at 12 noon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

JohnCleary wrote: »
    I know the mast you speak of! (Drove half way up before) I think this is the winner as i've never been up to the mast before. Will follow your directions (Will also bring the tazer incase any Deliverance kinda rednecks up there)
    Just head in from the cooloney side into coolaney, just before you get into the villlage there is a road to the right with sspca on it, about mile and a half up that road there is a road to the right, you'll see the mast from there. Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Surfing's easy in Strandhill alright - there's never any waves!

One word - WHITEWASH!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Dude - I've surfed since I was 7 years old. Strandhill's the last place I'd
    go to get a decent surf. It's fine for beginners because it's tame.

Sorry dude!:cool:
    I don't surf but I see lots of ppl down there the whole time.
    I wasn't aware that you needed a certain type of big wave to surf on

My bad!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I ended up heading for Inniscrone. On the way I saw windmills and thought "lets go for a gander"

Ah well we got right up to the windmills no problem.. then on the way back we bagan to sink :D We got a bit p1ssed off with soggy feet so headed back towards Sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Glencar (The Glen is split half Sligo half Leitrim, Leitrim has the waterfall while Sligo has the more spectacular Scenery)
    Before you come to the waterfall, there is bog road leading onto the mountain, it twists and turns quite steeply but you can drive up, walk or push a bike (a great cycle down). When you reach the top walk west (turn left) towards the sea until you come to the cliff top. Be very careful, while there is a path of sorts the grass can get quite slippy. Follow the path along the cliff top, the views are spectacular and the drop sheer, watch out for the peregrines. Break out the bottle of red wine and your sarnies and have a vertiginous and exhilarating picnic.

Sligo Town. This walk has nice scenery and good for those without transport. (you could use an off road bike)
    Walk down Rockwood Parade toward Millbrook Apts, go past the Blue Lagoon and into Doorly Park continue along the path, these are the Sally Gardens of Yeats (sorry Ballisodare). when you come to the end of the first section continue on along the river to the area known locally as the Seven Bridges, after a KM or so the path veers right, follow it to the Holywell road, here turn left and go over Wards Hill. At the bottom of Wards' Hill take the right turn to the Holywell (Tobernalt) a lovely little glade that was a pre christian shrine. It is spoiled a little by the Christian Iconography that has been imposed on it, but if you are so inclinced you may stop to light a candle and pray to the diety of your choice.
    Past the well continue for two hundred meters until you come to a right turn take it, walk on for 2 km until you come back into Sligo at Pearse Road andturn right for town.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I need to print out this stuff. Instead of "Em, I thiiiink we go left..."

Thanks all. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Glencar (The Glen is split half Sligo half Leitrim, Leitrim has the waterfall while Sligo has the more spectacular Scenery)
    Ah yes its all spectacular in leitrim and Sligo. But to be fair people when they think of glencar tend to associate it with the waterfall. Then they discover the back road drive if they are lucky!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Gillie wrote: »
    Sorry dude!:cool:
    I don't surf but I see lots of ppl down there the whole time.
    I wasn't aware that you needed a certain type of big wave to surf on

My bad!

Amazing surf all weekend in Strandhill, brilliant...

Surfed all morning, straight into the Seaweed baths, straight to some pub (lovely place, forget the name) straight to Bianconi's, straight to the glasshouse (good wine at good prices)

The whole weekend cost us 100 euro each, not a sign of rubbish or dirt by the way and lots of local help with directions to the banklink!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

lightening wrote: »
    Amazing surf all weekend in Strandhill, brilliant...

Surfed all morning, straight into the Seaweed baths, straight to some pub (lovely place, forget the name) straight to Bianconi's, straight to the glasshouse (good wine at good prices)

The whole weekend cost us 100 euro each, not a sign of rubbish or dirt by the way and lots of local help with directions to the banklink!

There must've been BIG waves at the weekend - you surfed straight into the Seaweed baths, up to the pub, then all the way into town? Pure class.. sorry I missed that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

There must've been BIG waves at the weekend - you surfed straight into the Seaweed baths, up to the pub, then all the way into town? Pure class.. sorry I missed that!

Yeah, I was frickin roasting in the pub in me wetsuit.

Advertisement