Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cedar Decking

Options
  • 14-02-2008 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi, looking at putting in a deck in my south facing back garden, have received a quote of €2300 for a deck size of 17 x 12 ft, that includes supply and fit.
    I thought that sounded a bit excessive but looking through some earlier posts I'm not so sure. Would people recommend Cedar or what are the dis-advantages of choosing cedar over other materials..? Does the quote sound about right..?
    Many thanks for your help in advance. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Reasonable quote, but for a little more you could have a natural stone patio and which with longer lasting durability and much less maintenance is definitely a better choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭undecided

Hi Ive just had some put down. Mine is 20'x18' with handrail on 2 sides. Cost me 1100 for all materails and 500 to get fitted! hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Aeneas

Lambo100 wrote: »
    Hi, looking at putting in a deck in my south facing back garden, have received a quote of €2300 for a deck size of 17 x 12 ft, that includes supply and fit.
    I thought that sounded a bit excessive but looking through some earlier posts I'm not so sure. Would people recommend Cedar or what are the dis-advantages of choosing cedar over other materials..? Does the quote sound about right..?
    Many thanks for your help in advance. :)

I am thinking about cedar decking also, mainly because it can weather to a nice silvery grey. How does it compare costwise with treated pine? Would treated pine weather similarly? Does cedar in fact go black rather than grey in our damp climate? Is it better to avoid grooved boards because they collect dirt and become slippery? I would be interested in others' experience and advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Lambo100

Thanks folks for the replies much appreciated, I will keep looking so.

Advertisement